Onan Emerald 4000 thoughts......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dktool

1) My 1993 vintage original install 4000 is vibrating to the point of a "magic fingers" feel while sitting on the couch which is near it.

It starts, runs smooth, not missing or running rich and produces power great.

2) Has anyone seen or heard of a Catalytic Converter install on rv generators ?
I have an over reactive nose when it comes to combustion fumes.
I know the up the side venturi exhaust add ons get the fumes up and away but that is not a practical answer to short run time usage.

3) I would also like to replace the muffler with something quieter and possibly line the cavity that houses the genset with sound deadening material.
The door has a open grill for ventilation so that doesn't help the sound level any.

Any tip / pointers to address any of these thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
The vibration will most likely lessen with new rubber mounts.

The exhaust issue can be solved by using a kit that pipes the fumes up above the mh. No idea on how to install a converter. That would require some engineering.

You can use some fire rated sound proofing foam around the compartment.

I installed some 3/8 foam building panels around the generator, Moved the exhaust to the back of the RV and replaced some rubber mounts.
Nice and quiet on the inside now with no fumes. Do not block the exterior panel at all as that is the air for cooling the engine as well as combustion air

I not ever seen/heard of a catalytic converter for a small gas engine - they are very sensitive to back-pressure on the exhaust. There are some Onan-certified catalytics for some of their larger models, but be advised they cost $4500-$5500 each.

You could carry a 2"-3" exhaust hose extension, the sort used in auto shops to duct away exhaust. Easier to slip on than a venturii-type pipe, but to be effective on a small engine like that it still needs at least a little upward path so that the heat carries the exhaust up & out rather than just pushing back out at the mouth. Doesn't need or want to be a tight fit on the pipe, nor does it need to be high temperature proof. It's just an assist to guide the flow away from the RV. Maybe something like THIS.

The vibration sounds like a generator mount bracket problem. Maybe damaged or just stiff from old age, but maybe not all that effective to begin with. Take a look.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
For those who have replaced the rubber isolators / mounts, does the genset need to be removed from the enclosure to do it ?

I would check to confirm it is firing on both cylinders , as I recall the BGE Emerald 4000 is a 2 cylinder 1800 rpm generator, with an engine that is oversized enough that it will generally pull at or near full load running on one cylinder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom