Onan generator issues - warning newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdfuller

My generator fires up and runs great.  Only problem is nothing in the coach seems to use it for power (outlets don't work, microwave doesn't come on, AC won't fire up, etc).  It is a Onan 4000.  I found a 30 amp breaker and flipped it back and forth a few times and nothing works.  I turn everything off and flipped the breaker and the clock on the microwave won't even come on.  It seems like the coach is not connected to the generator or something.  Any ideas before I bring it in?

You didn't mention the year or make of your RV.  Some RV/s do not have a transfer switch but instead to run on the Generator it is necessary to plug the shore power cord into a connector usually located in the same compartment as the power cord.  Please let us know the make and year model of your RV.

What make and model of RV?  Some RVs, particularly the smaller class Cs, have an outlet where you plug the shore power cord it to use the generator.  This is instead of a transfer switch.  If you have a transfer switch, there is a delay when the generator starts, typically 30 sec., before it switches the power.

Umm...yeah.  I am a total idiot.  Works much better :)

Even my wife was rolling on the floor laughing at this one.  I spent two hours trying to figure this out before I asked here :)

So, what was the solution?  You didn't plug it in?

Right.  I was wondering why there was a outlet that matched the shore power cord.

mdfuller said:
Umm...yeah.  I am a total idiot.  Works much better :)

Even my wife was rolling on the floor laughing at this one.  I spent two hours trying to figure this out before I asked here :)

Hey, a little laughter at your expense is much much better than a generator repair bill. ;D

Dont feel bad  Most of us can tell stories on ourselves that will make people Roar.  Some straight out of the Movie
RV with Robin Williams.  Then you sit back and say how dumb can I be.  If you RV  most likely something like that will happen sooner or later.  Sometimes after you've done things time and time again and then oops Goog up.  Have fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom