onan generator output

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howellms

I will first describe circumstances when failure occured. Generator was running carrying loads  both a/c units, refridgerator, 120v power from house outlet still connected. I put 12v toggle switch in on position and immediately lost poer output from generator and tripped breaker from house load. Have checked breakers and fuses and found no proble. How do i check/ test or reset something?

Welcome!!

Remove the switch, it is likely inserted in the wrong spot. You may need a wiring diagram to find a more appropriate spot. What is the purpose of this switch and did you insert it while the genny was carrying that load?? What is the current carrying capacity of that switch??
....tripped breaker from house load
Which breaker is that, the breaker in the house distribution (amps?), the pedestal, or on the genny itself.??
Make and model of genny would be nice to know.

howellms said:
I will first describe circumstances when failure occured. Generator was running carrying loads  both a/c units, refridgerator, 120v power from house outlet still connected. I put 12v toggle switch in on position and immediately lost poer output from generator and tripped breaker from house load. Have checked breakers and fuses and found no proble. How do i check/ test or reset something?

WHAT 12-volt switch? What was this switch supposed to do? Why did you turn it on? Did you turn it off?

We need a LOT more information here to be able to help you.

Wild guess here...if the 12 volt switch is the battery cutoff switch and both A/Cs were running at the time, switching the battery cutoff to the on position would possibly cause the converter to draw more current to charge the batteries and that may have pushed the load past the generator's capacity. Then when the generator quit, the A/Cs quit and then the ATS switched over to shore power almost immediately. Both A/Cs would then try to start back up at the same time while both A/C compressors still had pressure. The current demand at that point would likely be well beyond the shore power breaker. So, my guess is you just caused an avalanche.

Welcome to The RV Forum, howellms!  As you can see, there are lots of folks here to help you solve your generator problem.  The same holds true for any other questions that you may have.

Let us know how the troubleshooting goes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom