Onan generator problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maki66

Ican currently start the generator while hoked to shore power as soon as I unplug the generator dies. I can’t start the generator in anyot Configuration

All batteries are good something is not allowing it to use the coach batteries. I hav a 1999 fleet wood bounder V10

Hi Maki. Welcome to the forum. Is the aux battery switch on? It should be near the door. It has to be on.

My aux start is spring loaded to the off . I hold it on when cranking and it us to go to the off and the generator woul sta y on this happens then when I go to un plug the generator shuts down

My aux start is spring loaded to the off .
The aux battery switch (it might have a different label) is a different one than the aux start, and it won't be spring loaded. The aux start connects the house and chassis batteries together, while the aux battery switch turns on DC from the house batteries to the coach. In a Bounder I'd expect the switch to be somewhere near the door. With it off very little or nothing in the coach that is DC powered will work, though when plugged in some things might, depending on how the coach is wired.

In this picture below, there is a panel that says BATTERY DISCONNECT. On that panel are two rocker switches, one labeled MAIN and one is labeled AUX. Are they both ON?

Attachments

• 1999 Bounder Main_Aux.png
    1999 Bounder Main_Aux.png
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 3
Yes they are both on and the generator circuit breaker are off I don’t set them until I am disconnect from shore power

Your generator breakers should always be on,, they are there for safety reasons and if "tripped" , there is a short some where to look for.>>>Dan

I do not have a auto switch on my coach the 99 bounder did not come with it I have to disconnect from shore power and then set the breakers

If there’s one I have no idea where I was told that the 99 bounded did not have one
Then when running the generator, do you first have to plug the shore power cable into a receptacle on the motorhome? If you don't, then there's a transfer switch somewhere. Also, why do you need to fiddle with the circuit breakers when going from shore to generator power?

There are plenty of references on the web to Bounders, even as early as 1994, with auto transfer switches, so you likely have one. It's not huge, though I don't know where they'd have put one on your coach -- maybe hidden behind a cabinet, or near where the shore power cord comes into the coach, or maybe near some other power equipment.

Normally this is the sequence traveli generator breakers are on I start the generator and use for ac etc parking shut down the generator and plug in to shore power. I can not have both shore power and generator on it trips the generator breaker .
right now I can start the generator breakers off plugged in using aux start generator runs. Now normally I would unplug and set the breakers on. Now as soon as I unplug the generator shuts down.

The ATS in my '00 Bounder is behind the 120v breaker panel above the fridge. I have a wooden access panel next to the breaker panel that I can use to access the ATS as well as a couple of other control boxes that are mounted there.
I can start and run my generator while remaining hooked to shore power with no problem.
Punch the button on the dash, and a few seconds after the generator starts and stabilizes it's rpm, I'll hear the ATS kick over and everything is on generator power.
Sounds like you need to have someone look at the coach, because it's not operating properly.

Since you don't have to plug the shore power cord into the coach to get generator power into the coach, and only have to mess with the breakers, it sounds as if your transfer switch is there but needs replacing (or at least some repair in that area), since it's not working right. When you turn on the generator you are running its power right through the transfer switch (both paths might be shorted together), so since you have to mess with those breakers something is definitely not right with your coach, and needs to be fixed.

I can do the same as Wally with my coach, and I could with my two previous coaches as well. You should be able to do the same thing.

Doesn't sound like an ATS issue to me. The generator needs 12v power to start and run. It apparently can get power when shore power feeds the onboard converter/charger, but not otherwise. I'd say bad batteries (chassis battery?) or a faulty connection between there and the generator.

Thanks Gary I was thinking of that and plan to clean all of the connections I know that I have 13.5 volts in the coach batteries and 13 in. Chassis . I did find a transfer relay above the fridge its a 15 amp 120 volt has wires marked load, Gen and t other wire I can’t read. When I openEd it all of the wires were twisted together and had wire nuts on them Im sure this is why I have to go through the disconnect before I can set the breakers on the generator

I want to thank everyone for the help I am able to get things going however still have issues with the ATS in my rig I found a transfer relay above the fridge when I open the box all the wires were twisted together. It is a 15 amp 120 V relay see pictures Question is this supposed to my ATS if so why 15 amp I plugin to 30 amp plug is this an age thing or did they by pass the relay for some other reason

Back
Top Bottom