Onan generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scrooge

I had to replace  an onan marquis gold 5500 generator model HGJAB 1038. Onan sold me a 5.5 HGJAB 7103.  It is identical to the old one except for the breakers the old one had a 30/30 configuration the new one has a 20/30 setup.
This is all great except when i put both AC units on and add say the water heater, the 20 A breaker trips rendering the genset inoperable. It it running but not supplying any power.
Onan admits the error and is willing to replace the 20A breaker with a 30.
Here are my questions:
Will changing out a 20 A breaker cause any issues with internal components, ie windings, wiring etc?
If it?s only a breaker issue why build two generators?

Moving the hw heater isn?t an option. There isn?t enough empty on the other side. I would also be concerned that the onboard computer won?t recognize a move and not shut the correct breakers when it?s suppose to.

I?m more worried that the windings, wiring, etc inside the generator won?t take the load. That could lead to a fire

Is this a 30A power RV or 50A?  If 30A, maybe the genset 30A and 20A got reversed when connected to the power panel?  In 30A rigs, usually only the second a/c unit is connected to the 20A circuit and everything else goes on the 30A.

In any case, if the coach wiring was handling two 30A circuits before, it ought tobe fine now. The internal wiring of the genset itself is for Onan to determine. Since it's Onan who proposes making the breaker swap, one must assume they know their product.  Now, if it is an RV dealer tech that suggests that, I would call Onan Support and double-check first.

The RV is a 50A. Everything works fine on shore power it?s the genset that?s the issue.

The reason I?m here looking for advise here is because in a phone call to Onan ( talked to a level 2 tech ) he said the generators are different and the 20A CANNOT be replaced with a 30A.  The local Onan service advisor and the sales manager are proposing the switch and say the tech is wrong. Geesh, they need to get their stories together.

I know the wiring in the RV is ok. It?s the internal genset wiring that?s an issue for me. While ?darsben? suggested that they put in writing that the change will not void the warrantee. I of course would follow that advise but when the wiring catches on fire while we are sleeping who warrants that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom