One day drive in PA--10 Covered Bridges in 60 miles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Yesterday we tried something a little different. We took a drive to photograph covered bridges. If you're in PA and on/near route 80, exit 232, you can find 10 covered bridges in a 60 mile drive.  See:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/scenicdrives/?sd=pacolumbiaco.jsp&param1=USPA0144&param2=USPA1582

There used to be 11 bridges, but one of the famous twin covered bridges was totally washed away during the flood on 6/29, this year.

We started out at 11:00 and at the 2nd bridge saw a very nice setting just upstream from the bridge with a picnic table. This was on a well maintained and mowed area that obviously belonged to the house next to the bridge. We asked the folks if we could have lour lunch there and they encouraged us to enjoy ourselves. We had a great setting right along the stream. Halfway through lunch, the owners showed up with two plates of fresh picked cucumbers, pealed and marinated with olive oil and spices, which they gave to us--boy were they good.

We proceeded to the other bridges on the loop, stopping at each and getting some great photos. While driving through some wooded areas, we came upon acres and acres of wild rhododendrons among the trees. They were huge bushes--very old-- and in full bloom. What an added treat.

Following are a few photos from the trip.
Chet18013

Attachments

• Covered Bridge2006-07-16_001.jpg
    Covered Bridge2006-07-16_001.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Covered Bridge2006-07-16_015.jpg
    Covered Bridge2006-07-16_015.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Covered Bridges2006-07-15_0013.JPG
    Covered Bridges2006-07-15_0013.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Covered Bridges2006-07-15_0017.JPG
    Covered Bridges2006-07-15_0017.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 34
Quite a sight! Enjoyed your story and the pictures. Would like to see  that!

I am not at all familiar with PA. Been there, but ages ago. Also, new to the RV world. So, here's the question.

Did you make this tour in your toad, or your RV? I have a 36 ft Challelnger. I wouldn't take it on something that looked like that. Doesn't look like it would fit. Doesn't look like the bridges would support the weight. How did you do it?

Ray D

Ray,

I'm not sure how Chet did it but we have quite a few old covered bridges in Parke County in west central Indiana. None of them are strong enough for even a light RV (8,000 lbs.). And all of them are located on two lane backroads that would not allow an RV to turn around anywhere close to the bridge.
Its a shame too because those would be nice short trips in our motorhome.

Woody

Ray D said:
Quite a sight! Enjoyed your story and the pictures. Would like to see  that!

I am not at all familiar with PA. Been there, but ages ago. Also, new to the RV world. So, here's the question.

Did you make this tour in your toad, or your RV? I have a 36 ft Challelnger. I wouldn't take it on something that looked like that. Doesn't look like it would fit. Doesn't look like the bridges would support the weight. How did you do it?

Ray D

We made the trip in the car. 6 of the bridges were closed to vehicle traffic and the ones in use all had 8' clearances. You could make the trip in a motor home, if you were willing to walk about 1/3 mile to a couple of the bridges. The route does not require crossing any of them. About 20 miles is on very good gravel roads that would be passable to your RV. All the rest of the roads are paved and good.

Chet18013

Chet,

That's a cool idea, thanks for sharing.

I'm in NY now working until mid September or so.  You were likely within a hour of me on your drive!

Joel

Back
Top Bottom