One more 5vr weight question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markseelbach

If I buy a 5th wheel trailer with an empty weight of 8920 lbs. Gross weight of 10,000lbs.

Cargo carry capacity of 1080lbs. Pin (hitch) weight of 2000lbs.

Does my cargo carrying capacity increase in the trailer when I drop the 2000# of trailer weight on the truck?????]

Are the axles on the trailer only seeing 6920# and this gives me more room for cargo over the 1080#?

No, gross weight is just that, gross.  The 2000# of pin weight are carried by the truck, but are still part of the trailer's gross weight.

RV salesman spoke with forked tounge! "I've been selling rv's for 30 years and I know what I'm talking about". Exact quote. Hah! Just as I figured.

If I were dealing with him, I 'd tell him he's a dang liar and doesn't know a blamed thing about what he's talking about.  But then see the bottom of my statement.  One thing about it no living human as far as I know has ever accused my of being too damn smart, but then again a lot of people have called me a smart arse.  I just hope there's a little similarity  along the line.

I went straight to the manufacturer today and KZ says the salesman is right. I can indeed carry that much more cargo. The axles are the GVW limiting factor and the weight on the pin pulls 2000# off the axles.

I'l  believe Carl on weights but not on his selection in the Series.

Shayne said:
I'l? believe Carl on weights but not on his selection in the Series.

Whut yew mean boy?!  I confidently predicted that the series will be won either by a team from Detroit or a team from St. Louis.

I went straight to the manufacturer today and KZ says the salesman is right. I can indeed carry that much more cargo. The axles are the GVW limiting factor and the weight on the pin pulls 2000# off the axles.

That's true, but check the individual axle ratings (GAWRs), which will be on the DOT rating plate along with the GVWR. The combined axle GAWRs on a fifth wheel are usually less than the trailer GVWR, because of the assumption that either the hitch or the front landing gear will be carrying about 2000 lbs of the GVWR.  So yes, you can carry as much as the axles can bear, but it may not be the total GVWR.  For example, if the combined GAWRs are 2000 lb less than the GVWR, then you are still limited.

Maybe KZ doesn't skimp on their axles like so many trailer manufacturers do - that would be a nice plus for the KZ brand.

LOL  At least those EAstern team(?) with all the $  won't win it for sure.  Love to hear them cry.

I took a gander at the K-Z web site and viewed some of their trailer specs. They don't list axle ratings for all their fifth wheel products, but of those I looked at, some had axles that could carry the full GVWR while others did not. Those that did not fell the usual 2000 lbs short, i.e. the approximate pin weight. Those that could carry the full load were triple axle models.

This is very confusing. If I look @ Sunny Brook Mobil Scout Titan LX specifications on the web; it lists eight of these fifth wheels with two 5,200 lb axles and GVWR ratings of 15,000 lbs.
They don't go to triple axles untl GVWR reaches 16,000#. This seems to be true with a lot of manufacturers that I have looked at.
Can anyone explain this math?

Back
Top Bottom