One night freeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevesquires

Hey all - on a two night trip up in NH. Last night was fine, but to they say it will reach 28deg. It's a 1 night thing, but I wanted to know if you think the pipes will freeze. Every pipe is enclosed in the insulation under the TT except the frsh water, but I'm. It using the fresh water - drawing on city water.

Do you think the pipes will be on on a one night freeze if the furnace is running?

Thanks ahead of time.

Been there several times (Lows as far down as 25 overnight) and not frozen at those temps yet, epically with the furnace on since it heats the tanks.  Like you everything is enclosed..  This is what I do if it's going to be that cold out.

I fill the on-board fresh water tank, switch to "Internal" water, unhook and drain the fresh hose and pressure regulator, drain the waste hoses (I leave them hooked up but drain them) ... That's all.  The only time Ive had a problem was one night when the weather prediction was, as I recall, 19 degrees.. The actuall weather was minus six.. that was, shall we say, a bit cooler than designed.  My rig is designed (per the manual) for temps above 20 if the furnace is working.. that is SUSTAINED temps, takes time to freeze.

Where I live (And store my rig outdoors) we have temperatures that get as low as 20 degrees over night, (It's rare and not even every year.)  but not for very long.  And our day time temps are always well above 40, even with the heaters off we don winterize at all.  According to the owners of the place I store my rig, no one winterizes and there has never been a problem in the 15-20 years he has owned the place.

As it was pointed out previously it just doesn't get cold enough for long enough to freeze that much water.  An ice cube tray takes an hour or longer to freeze at around 0 degrees Fahrenheit.  Since it is all about volume of water and time to freeze at specific temperatures.  An ice cube is a very small volume of water, even the water in a small pipe is far more than that, and zero is way colder than it ever gets here.  So at say 20 degrees how long for an ice cube to freeze?  probably 2-3 hours at least?  Someone here probably knows the math to accomplish that, unfortunately that isn't me.

Thanks,
Jeff

Every pipe is enclosed in the insulation under the TT except the frsh water, but I'm. It using the fresh water - drawing on city water.

It sounds like you are connected to the city water supply.  If it were me, I would just make sure my on board fresh water tank is full and disconnect the water line from the city supply.  It probably won't freeze, but why take the chance.

Marsha~

We camped this week and last night it got down to ?,  Was 28 when we woke up this morning.  Our lines did not freeze nor did our hose.  But a camper a few sites down from us said his hose did freeze up for a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom