One or two AC units needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

free2bme801

I am considering a 1998 Windsport 30? class A and there is only one AC unit in the rear. I am wondering if that is sufficient on 30? class A? Most of the 32? or longer units I?ve looked at have two roof mounted units. I really prefer something 30? or less, and most likely will sleep only two of us, using the rear bedroom. I suppose a lot depends on the design and whether or not the air is ducted or not, but with only one AC in the rear, I am concerned that may not be sufficient to cool the front living area, while parked, and not using the chassis air. I have lots of experience with typical home and auto AC?s but I doubt much of that, other than theory, transfers to Motorhomes.
I am a newbie, so any advice is appreciated.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

If by "rear" you mean in the rear bedroom, the air conditioner is in the worst place for effective cooling.  Most of the heat gain comes from the large windshield and other glass areas, not to mention the larger square footage in the front of the motorhome.

Do you have one or more 14" roof vents in the living area?  If so, one may be replacing a second (main) air conditioner originally installed there, as both the vent and the air conditioner use the same 14" square hole.

edit:  In fact, the floor plans of 2000 Windsports show the main air conditioner centrally located, with the option of a second one in the bedroom.

http://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2000_Four_Winds_International_Windsport_Class_A_Motorhome_Literature.pdf

As Lou said, most o, but if f the heat comes in the front living area.  You can reduce some of the heat from sunlight by installing exterior coverings, but we found that when the temperature or humidity went up, we needed both A/C units running during the heat of the day.

Ed

My coach is slightly smaller and has only 1 ductted 15,000 btu air conditioner (2002 Safari Trek 2830, 29'5" bumper to bumper).  In my experience it is marginal in warmer locations, though things as a Magne shade windshield cover, window awnings, etc. can make it acceptable even in hot summer conditions.

A lot depends on where you plan to be in the summer.  AZ, yes you will need two units.  ND one probably will get you by.  Given the heat rut we seem to be in right now in the midwest, one will struggle.

We use a 20" box fan in our coach to distribute the cool air even though we have two air conditioners.

I think you'd be OK if using a fan to help circulate the air.

We live where 105 degrees is normal so two air conditioners helps.  You live in Nebraska so I'll believe you'll be OK.

If you're parked in the sun and have two separate areas, you'll want two A/Cs.  We had both a 30-footer and a 34-footer.  Both had front and rear A/Cs and we used both of them.  At night we would use the front one because of not liking air blowing down on us while sleeping, but we had central ducting so could manipulate where we wanted the cooler air to go.  Keep in mind that most of the heat will come in through the front windshield and side windows such as in a front lounge.  Also, if you plan to be in very hot areas, cooling can be difficult because RVs are not as well insulated as houses.  I would recommend two A/Cs.

ArdraF

I think I  would keep looking. The brochure shows 2 ducted AC units. The problem is the bach one is only a 11,000 btu unit the front is 13,500.
Bill

My 30 foot Itasca has one AC unit, and, with the ductwork distributing the output all over the cabin, it is quite sufficient.
Keep the curtains between driver compartment and cabin closed, and it's fine.
Of course, mine is a Class C.

A good windshield cover will help keep the sun out of the driver's area. Then it really comes down to how the ductwork is designed,

I recently purchased an ADCO cover item for my RV. It fit my 1996 Jayco Eagle, Class C just great. Each end fits over the top corner of the passenger and driver door and has a magnet on the bottom edge for each door. It comes with a storage bag also. Very pleased so far and will update if any quality issues. Since the wipers aren't covered another reviewer suggested cutting a pool noodle to keep the wipers from sticking to the cover.

There are many factors. Not only where you park but what color is God's Skin. er, sorry that's a song what color is your RV's skin, WHITE or Silver needs less A/C than Black to hit the extremes.

Frankly I'd go with two.. Wire one so it can be connected either direct to the park's 20 amp or to a 20 amp outlet in a storage bay on the RV. With the world getting hotter and hotter you may need it.

I just finished my first FL summer. Temps near 100 and humidity also.

1 unit got me through. Depends on how cold you want it. I am in a slightly shaded spot depending on time of day and in the mid-day the A/C could pull the temps down to 70.

A second unit would be great but I can live without it. My biggest concern is redundancy. If the one unit fails I am gonna be miserable.

Because my RV is 30 amp it would be a huge drama to add a second. I am considering engineering a deployable small window unit or a portable unit.

With one unit I suggest running a small fan during the day to circulate the cooler air from floor level to ceiling level, directed to the front.

30 amps may not be sufficient to run two air conditioners. If you add a second air conditioner, then you will need to add another 30 amp service (only to run the second ac unit) and you will have to plug in two 30 amp plugs into a splitter that plugs into a 50 amp hookup to power both air conditioners at the same time. Also, be aware you cannot run both air conditioners on a 4,000 generator. This is definitely necessary if you live in Southeast Texas or in Louisiana. The summers here are very brutal.

However, if you use your generator, especially while staying overnight at a Flying J, then one air conditioner will very likely suffice since it is usually a lot cooler at night.

Thread started 2 years ago and last post 1 years ago.

30 amps definitely won't run 2 X 15k btu A/Cs.
Unless both units have a Sofstart added and you use no other electricity except maybe some lights. We can manage with a single AC in our 40’ rig as long as we are in the dry west, at least until it gets to the mid 90s. We pull down all the blinds on the sunny side, run the AC, and run a fan too.

Maybe you would like to consider a mini split. Installed a mini split system in winter and have been very pleased! Plenty of cool air, no noise and very efficient and economical.

Unless both units have a Sofstart added and you use no other electricity except maybe some lights. We can manage with a single AC in our 40’ rig as long as we are in the dry west, at least until it gets to the mid 90s. We pull down all the blinds on the sunny side, run the AC, and run a fan too.
I'm skeptical that even with both 15k btu units on softstart capacitors 30 amps would handle the load, especially if both went into start up at the same time. A load shedding pms would likely be required. In the Texas, OK, Ark. area one 15k btu unit is a no go in July and Aug. in anything larger than a a small popup.

Back
Top Bottom