Online Campground Directories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

After checking a long time favorite the online Trailer Life Directory today, I was disappointed to discover the free information was virtually useless compared to the information once provided on that site.  In order to obtain meaningful information, a paid subscription is required.  This site is owned by Affinity Group, the folks who bring us Good Sam, Camping World and other RV related businesses where RVers spend money.

Are there any worthwhile free campground directories online that provide RV and big rig meaningful information ?

The TL web site has had a premium Gold membership for a long time.  If you want to view the information that is available in the printed and CD guides, you have to pay.

I doubt there is any free source of such comprehensive data as it costs money to compile the information.  The cheapest way to get that information is to buy the printed directory, although the newest CD version is much improved over the past few years.  This one is almost as good as the 2000 version was :)

There is a limited one for Indiana provided by the Indiana Campground Owners Assoc. I assume other states have them as well.

Woody

Yes,  the TL site offered a premium paid service in the past,  but the basic information in the past at least had some details and contact info for the listings..now the listings contain no information at all, except for the name of the CG.

What is the URL for the Indiana CG Owners Association?

I just did a search on Moab, UT, and here's the detail page for Portal RV Park:
http://www.tldirectory.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&fn=950000734  It has everything but the detailed listing information but certainly enough to contact the campground.  It has the web site URL, email address, phone number, nearby attractions, directions, last year's rates.  What else would you need to contact them?

OK, so I'll take back what I originally said, because my opinion was based on a search I did for CG's in the Aleandria Bay, NY area and got a meager listing for a local State park:

http://www.tldirectory.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&fn=102002907

I thought this was the new format they adopted, but see from your example private parks contain the information I recall seeing before.

Thanks for the clarification, Ned!

Even that listing has a phone number and directions.  It has everything the Portal RV listing has except email and web site, and I wouldn't expect that for a state park.  They can only list what information the campgrounds furnish the directory.

Ned said:
They can only list what information the campgrounds furnish the directory.

Ned,

How does it compare to the CD version of the TL Directory?

Phil

The CD version, this year at least, has the same information as the printed directory.  The web site has the same information, but you need the paid Gold membership to see it all.  If you ignore the GPS and trip routing "features" of the 2005 TL CD, it's usable.  Actually, I tried the GPS feature and it seemed to work ok.  I still prefer Street Atlas :)

Ned said:
The web site has the same information, but you need the paid Gold membership to see it all.

Thanks, Ned.

I'll try the web site for a while.

Phil

I think maybe this website will help you.  www.rvparkreviews.com ------ It breaks them down by state at least and possibly by city or region.  Reviews or submitted by Rv'rs like you and me that have used them.

[edit]I have found that a number of sources are needed to get the full picture.  I use the printed version of TL and Woodalls, but there are many cgs that just don't list on these books for one reason or another.  I do use the link for RV Park Reviews as someone already mentioned.  Another source is the RV Clubs website http://www.rv-clubs.us/  .  I also Google (its a verb now too!  ;)) on the city or area that I am visiting and can often find cgs that are listed in these local web sites.  Keep in mind that these sites mentioned above are nothing close in the total numbers of RV parks and cgs that they list to the TL guide, however using as many sources as possible helps.

Being a Gen X techie and child of the Internet as well as a Free Software developer.  It pissed me off that I spent good money on a Woodall's guide, Sam's Club membership, Camping World membership and KOA Membership and then found they want to charge me MORE money to get decent listings on Campgrounds.  This is so sick I thought (briefly) about putting together a site to empower RV owners and campground owners.

I figured if someone had a nice site that FREELY let campground owners post information about their campground and then allowed campers to FREELY rate and add comments it would welcomed.  The problem is it takes critical mass to get started.  I still might consider it just out of aggravation.  I could elaborate more if people here thought there might be an interest. 

--
Derek

Derek,

It's already being done in part at http://rvparkreviews.com/.  No owner postings, just user reviews.  They currently have 10405 reviews on file.  I've read some and don't always agree with the comments, and there are often conflicting reviews for the same park.  Such is the case when you have different people with different goals and expectations.  I don't believe that user reviews can be very useful and I doubt that such a web site could ever have the quantity of campgrounds to be all that useful.

And do you really expect CG owners to be realistic in their comments :)

A campground directory published by CG owners and submissions made by the property owners was tried a few years ago.  I believe it was published using the Coleman name.

The listings were a joke, because the CG owners wrote self serving reviews about their own properties.

It's difficult enough to get reliable reviews from directories where the reviewers are supposed to follow guidelines, but the most reliable so far seems to be Trailer Life in the paper form.  My preference for the online directory is the Woodall's site...considering they are both owned by the same company.

Derek makes a good point in that Good Sam, Camping World are both the same company and their respective "memberships" are not reciprocal.  I am not as offended by having to buy the directory, though it does seem they are taking advantage of a captive market.

I think the printed directories are a bargain - even at their list price.  And there is seldom any need to pay full price - there are nearly always discounts being offered.  We buy a new TL one year and a new Woodalls the next.  We usually by in the "pre-availability" sale or pick up the "old" directory at half price when the new one comes out.

Back
Top Bottom