Opinion About Super Bowl LV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

I have never been a Patriots fan, but after Tom Brady departed for Florida, I began to realize that my dislike of him was really dislike of the Patriots organization itself.

From what I have read, one of the big reasons he left was because his input and recommendations were not welcomed nor really listened to - a power struggle with the coaching staff.

After his historical performance this season, the biggest message sent by him was almost like an extended middle finger to Bill Bilichick.

The Rays were 7 wins and 9 losses the year before Brady. With Brady they win the SuperBowl. Meanwhile the Pats without Brady were 7 and 9 this last year. So much for the magical Brady-Belichick story.

SeilerBird said:
The Rays were 7 wins and 9 losses the year before Brady. With Brady they win the SuperBowl. Meanwhile the Pats without Brady were 7 and 9 this last year. So much for the magical Brady-Belichick story.
Seiler. Rays??

arcticfox2005 said:
I have never been a Patriots fan, but after Tom Brady departed for Florida, I began to realize that my dislike of him was really dislike of the Patriots organization itself.

From what I have read, one of the big reasons he left was because his input and recommendations were not welcomed nor really listened to - a power struggle with the coaching staff.

After his historical performance this season, the biggest message sent by him was almost like an extended middle finger to Bill Bilichick.

I have to agree with you.  Congrats to Tampa Bay fans, certainly an impressive win.

Oldgator73 said:
There was a Super Bowl? When was that? 8)

"Due to careful planning, strict rules and a lot of logistics the NFL was able to conduct a successful season... With only 400 reported covid cases!" - SNL Feb 6th - LOL...

I am not opposed to football I just don't have the time to sit around for 6 hours being bombarded by advertisements.

I also joke that US Football is the perfect sport for Americans.  Play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting...

Ex-Calif said:
I also joke that US Football is the perfect sport for Americans.  Play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting...
;D  ;D  ;D

I also read that the actual playing time of an American football game is about 11 minutes.

[quote author=Ex-Calif]I just don't have the time to sit around for 6 hours being bombarded by advertisements.... Play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting...[/quote]
LOL I thought I was the only one who thought that over the years. Yesterday, while I had Superbowl on 1 screen, I watched 3 consecutive rugby international (6-nations) games on another screen. Premise of rugby - keep the the ball moving; Don't stop play for a throw/catch (or fumble), as long as it doesn't go out of bounds, or for a tackle; Can't throw the ball forwards; No deliberate blocking; Don't stop for injury unless you're interfering with play and can't get out of the way; A touchdown aka a "try" requires grounding the ball with downward pressure (not just run into the end zone and catch the ball); and others. 2 x 40 minute halves of almost nonstop play with a short break.

I also believe that the sports we play as kids, or at school, or in our youth influence the sports we enjoy watching.

I had a varied background. I played Rugby, American Football, Soccer (real "football" - LOL) and Aussie Rules.

Without a doubt the most exciting sport to play and watch is Aussie Rules - It's like football (hard hitting collisions), basketball (non-stop action - although the last 2 minutes of basketball seems to take as long as the first 48 these days), Rugby (with hand passing), soccer (with the ball primarily advanced by kicking) and "Demolition Derby" (did I mention the high speed collisions?) - and the scoring system is hilarious...

Ex-Calif said:
"Due to careful planning, strict rules and a lot of logistics the NFL was able to conduct a successful season... With only 400 reported covid cases!" - SNL Feb 6th - LOL...

I am not opposed to football I just don't have the time to sit around for 6 hours being bombarded by advertisements.

Your forgot the rest of the scenario, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a meeting, play 15 seconds, have a 5 minute commercial break, play 15 seconds.....  I've always thought that the reason Soccer doesn't become a more popular sport is that the TV advertisers can't figure out how to have stop time long enough to get a couple of commercials in.

I always considered rugby played Aussie rules to be crazy  :eek:

Seiler. And they were in the Superbowl? I thought it was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Ex-Calif said:

And as boring as football is to watch on TV it is ten times more boring in person. Don?t get me started on baseball.

If you?re asking opinions on the entire game including the beginning and half time show I have one. I think the girl singing the National Anthem was a disgrace. Why can?t they sing it the way it was originally sung and not butcher it. That half time show was a waste of time. I turned it off til they started playing the game again.

LOL - never thought I'd find as many people who find football as boring as I do. It's like Bizarro world in our house - Kim turns on football and I leave the room! So many posts here I should quote but I'm too lazy.
  • Did not care who won but I was disappointed it was a runaway - TB was on their A-game and KC was asleep, especially their blockers.
  • Too much drama/arrogance - dancing, showboating, etc.
  • I went to two games when I was in my 20's/30's - had a good time.
  • Went to one at 52 - 12 hours of my life (driving, parking, standing in the rain, eating $8 pizza slices) that I'll never get back.
  • I cringed during the first couple of lines of the National Anthem last night but overall I actually thought it was done pretty well. Not "traditional" but in my mind it was not butchered like some years.
  • A few commercials this year were funny (and others touching/caring considering our current situation) but for the most part I was unimpressed.
  • My oldest daughter played rugby in college for 3 years. I find that much more exciting than football (or soccer).

Sorry Rene they take precautions to ensure there isn't another Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction.  FWIW, I had never heard The Weeknd before last night and I found it a lot better than most previous shows.
      As for the game, I have been a fan of both Canadian and American football for decades.  The game yesterday was a blow out, but that was because the Buc coaches did an amazing job preparing for the game, while the Chiefs didn't.  Much like a chess game, tactics ultimately and execution prevail.  However, too much faith by the Chiefs in Mahones physical abilities lulled them into a sense they couldn't loose.  On several occasions he side armed a pass 30 to 40 yards to a receiver who just couldn't catch the ball due to good defensive coverage. 
    IMHO, sports like Aussie rules is no different to Roller Derby, or WWF Wrestling.
    All that to say, to each their own, enjoy what ever sport you want to watch, and I'll watch those I enjoy.  For example, Soccer is the most popularly watched sport in the world, but most North Americans like it to paint drying because the don't understand the strategy.
      As for kneeling, please don't get political as there are 2 sides to that debate and this is not the place to discuss it.

Ed

You are 100% right Ed. I never even thought of that when I typed it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom