Opinion on 07 Bounder38V please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prnebs

Our neighbors are looking at a 07 Bounder 38V. It looks in great condition, 1 owner, stored inside, has maintenance records, 54,000 miles. They will have it inspected but asked our opinion. It has a Cat C7 300 engine with a rear radiator, and an Allison 3000 transmission. They will tow, not sure what yet. Does the engine have enough umpf to get over the mountains & through the valleys? We had a Bounder with the rear radiator & it was hard to do any work on it.
Thanks

Likely it has enough "umpf" if, like most motorhomes, you're content to slow down as the semis do. Few such rigs scoot up the steep grades, but they generally do OK with patience.

A 2006-7 Cat Acert engine? I suggest they research that engine.
I was a dyed in the wool Cat over the road engine man from 1966 to 2002, best engines made in my opinion. Then came the EPA, the transition, and the dreaded Acert.
Cat eventually gave up on the Acert and quit manufacturing over the road engines all together in 2010.
In 2016 Cat paid out over $60 million in a lawsuit with a group of former Acert owners.

A 2006-7 Cat Acert engine? I suggest they research that engine.
I was a dyed in the wool Cat over the road engine man from 1966 to 2002, best engines made in my opinion. Then came the EPA, the transition, and the dreaded Acert.
Cat eventually gave up on the Acert and quit manufacturing over the road engines all together in 2010.
In 2016 Cat paid out over $60 million in a lawsuit with a group of former Acert owners.
It's a 2007 unit, so could the engine be a 2006? Will sure check that out. Thanks

We went & looked at it this afternoon and it is in great shape. Did some research on the engine & seems to be ok. So they bought it and are like 2 kids (he's 82, she's a few years younger) in a candy shop! We are so excited for them, it fits them just right.
Thanks for the info - appreciate it.

I have never had an engine problem with mine. I do most of my own maintenance and have found some things to be moderately difficult. I doubt that your 82 year old neighbor will be wrenching on it.

I sure hope that they get to use it for a few years. If he has never driven a big vehicle before it may prove interesting. I have been RVing for many years but at 78 I am well aware of driving skill degradation as you age.
I hope so too. They 33/34' Montana 5th wheel & a 350 truck but it was getting too much to try & hook up & unhook for him. He also use to drive a school bus. They both have active & busy lifestyles, and have "aged" very well. He is aware of the skill degradation. He had my DH ride along with him today and went to 3 different gas stations to get fuel to practice getting in & out of different places. His DW gave me a recipe for buttermilk banana bread. I thought that was a fair trade.

While driving skills are not totally an age thing, none of us stay sharp forever. I used to think that everyone should have to take a driving test at 75, but as I neared that age I changed my mind! We downsized several years ago from our class A several years ago but I do drive a 16 passenger bus for the senior community we live in. We also now travel with a small travel trailer and truck. It can be difficult to objectively judge your own driving skills.

On the other hand, I have known some folks who didn't drive very well when young, especially with bigger vehicles.

While driving skills are not totally an age thing, none of us stay sharp forever. I used to think that everyone should have to take a driving test at 75, but as I neared that age I changed my mind! We downsized several years ago from our class A several years ago but I do drive a 16 passenger bus for the senior community we live in. We also now travel with a small travel trailer and truck. It can be difficult to objectively judge your own driving skills.

On the other hand, I have known some folks who didn't drive very well when young, especially with bigger vehicles.
Or some folks that shouldn't drive no matter what age or size vehicle! That's great you do that for your community, I'm sure they appreciate it, and your experience.

I stepped out of my 400 hp Holiday Rambler, into our friends 350 hp Bounder. I really noticed a big difference in the power up and down hills. 300 hp would be very noticeable. Just have to not be in a hurry.

Don't get hung up on horsepower alone. Instead, consider the horsepower-to-weight ratio. 1 hp per 100 lbs of GVWR is considered normal or typical for a motorhome and that is adequate to get you where you want to go, including high mountains. Maybe not as quickly as you might wish, but it will "git 'er done". Consider that your car has more like 6 or 8 hp per 100 lbs and lower your expectations accordingly.

The 2007 Bounder has a GVWR of 31,000 lbs and a 38 footer probably stays under that limit, so the 300 hp C7 is enough but not generous. Hill climbing will be in the slow lane with the big trucks and acceleration from a stop will be stately rather than sprinting.

Don't get hung up on horsepower alone. Instead, consider the horsepower-to-weight ratio. 1 hp per 100 lbs of GVWR is considered normal or typical for a motorhome and that is adequate to get you where you want to go, including high mountains. Maybe not as quickly as you might wish, but it will "git 'er done". Consider that your car has more like 6 or 8 hp per 100 lbs and lower your expectations accordingly.

The 2007 Bounder has a GVWR of 31,000 lbs and a 38 footer probably stays under that limit, so the 300 hp C7 is enough but not generous. Hill climbing will be in the slow lane with the big trucks and acceleration from a stop will be stately rather than sprinting.
Thanks Gary. I think he prefers the slow lane anyway so in this way it might be a good fit for him.

Since the neighbors have already bought it and they will be the ones driving it, I don't understand the big debate now over engine horsepower? If they like it, why care what we think?

Since the neighbors have already bought it and they will be the ones driving it, I don't understand the big debate now over engine horsepower? If they like it, why care what we think?
I asked about the engine before they bought it. They had asked our advise, and we gave it based on our knowledge. Our opinion was not the determining factor nor did it replace getting an inspection. I asked for information to glean knowledge. IMO, I think that is what this forum is about, not only for me but anyone else who might be interested. I appreciate the input, I don't look at it as a "debate".

Or some folks that shouldn't drive no matter what age or size vehicle….
I completely agree with this.

A couple of years ago I was parked at the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney, SC. They have about 22 spots for motor homes, all with 50-amp electric. Most of them are back-in sites.

I was parked in spot 7, and there was a coach to my left In spot 8. Spots 9, 10, and 11 were empty. A 40’ coach pulled in and attempted to back into one of the three open spots. On his first attempt, I was about to dive for my door to get outside and stop him because he was going to hit the coach to my left. Fortunately he realized this in time and stopped. He made two more attempts to back in, and both failed miserably. He wasn’t even close to being properly positioned to back in to one of the three open spots! And he drives this coach on the highway? Yikes! He finally gave up and parked in one of the pull-through sites, even though he didn’t have a towed.

I think there should be a National driving test and a special RV license required to drive these big vehicles.

I also think your neighbor, with the bus driving experience he has, will do just fine in his new coach.

I completely agree with this.

A couple of years ago I was parked at the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney, SC. They have about 22 spots for motor homes, all with 50-amp electric. Most of them are back-in sites.

I was parked in spot 7, and there was a coach to my left In spot 8. Spots 9, 10, and 11 were empty. A 40’ coach pulled in and attempted to back into one of the three open spots. On his first attempt, I was about to dive for my door to get outside and stop him because he was going to hit the coach to my left. Fortunately he realized this in time and stopped. He made two more attempts to back in, and both failed miserably. He wasn’t even close to being properly positioned to back in to one of the three open spots! And he drives this coach on the highway? Yikes! He finally gave up and parked in one of the pull-through sites, even though he didn’t have a towed.

I think there should be a National driving test and a special RV license required to drive these big vehicles.

I also think your neighbor, with the bus driving experience he has, will do just fine in his new coach.

I bet that was a bit concerning! Maybe he was practicing...?? I've wondered if there should be a test and an endorsement on the drivers license, like with motorcycles. But that will open a whole can of worms won't it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom