Opinions on best BBQ grill/ charcoal grill for class A to fit in basement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gasser

Just curious.  I am looking at a hasty bake portable charcoal grill but wonder what other opinions are out there.  Looking for something to take tail gaiting and camping and still fit in my Newmar basement.  I am thinking about going with charcoal as it really taste good if done right over gas however all my home grilling is done on a gas so it is not out of the question.

What do all of you have if any?  Any words of wisdom?

Any opinions?

John From Detroit

For a Gas Grill... I use a Coleman Road Trip, fits in my limited basement pass throws when "Collasped" quick to set up (Seconds) and with a proper adapter runs off most any propane source I have (1lb, 20lb, Motor Home tank)

I also have another grill that is "Convertable" (Charcoal or Gas) however I'm not sure I did not loose the gas regulator for it.  Can not remember it's name, longer to set up

Wendy

Site Team
We have a Weber Baby Q gas grill and love it. Fits nicely in the small amount of storage space we have available. You can use the small disposable propane bottles or you can buy an adaptor to hook it up to a full size propane tank. Weber products are great and the company stands behind them.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Like you, we prefer chacoal for flavor.  We carry a small charcoal grill that fine to grill a couple burgers or chops for the two of us. It's a chimney type, collapsable grill called the Pyromid, but I don't think they are sold any more.

We also carry a Broil King Portachef gas grill, which we set up for larger cooking jobs or when we are in one place for awhile. That's a serious 24,000 btu grill that can handle a dozen burger or 4 steaks.

The little Sunbeam gas grill does an adequate job and it is light and inexpensive. Might have to replace it every couple of years cause it is just sheet metal, but it also costs less than $50 for the deluxe model and around $30 for the basic one. Walmart sells a similar model called the Uniflame for around $29. You can hardly go wrong at that price.

Most portable gas grills are 10,000 btus, which is a bit on the light side for serious grilling (not as hot as charcoal) but adequate for most things.

Tom

Administrator
Chris bought a Sunbeam at WM and I finally gave it away after several months of use. It just would not stay lit in even slightly windy conditions and there was way too much temperature gradient across the grill. It looked pretty, but was really pretty useless. The Weber cost a little more, but in almost 2 years it has not yet failed to stay lit. I have an identical Weber that I've used in a different environment for almost 4 years and it too has never let me down.

I can't really explain why one brand works so well and the other doesn't, except that the vents and air flow appear to be significantly different.

Gasser

Well, I looked at the Webber Q220 and wtih all the accessories it comes with, I think it will do the trick.  I may buy the Hasty bake charcoal cooker also as its much smaller and will give me that charcoal taset I want for steaks.  Why not have the best of both worlds if you have the room.  Since I don't full time, I will have plenty of storage in this thing.

Thanks for pointing me towards the Webber.  It looks to be the most practicle.  I really like the folding cart and rolling storage bag.  I need to go look at these in person.

Thanks again.  This forum is great.

Jeff

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
We have had various Weber grills and others.  However, the very best Bar B Que we have ever had is the Australian made Bar B Que Galore.  We have two of them one that has never been used.  The good news is they are now available in the US at the Bar B Que Are Us stores one of which is in Phoenix and one in Las Vegas that I know of.  However little bigger than we would normally expect to see in the Motorhome.  We currently have a Broiler king that we got from Camping World which is just so so.  If I were to get another I would very seriously consider the Coleman that folds up.  I understand the later versions have more BTUs than the earlier ones.

normeller

check out the Cobb grill--small in size, uses on 8-10 charcoal briquets and will cook full meal in standard time. Best grill on market in my opinion for campers

Gasser

I saw the Cobb yesterday at Camping world and it did look nice.  I may have to try it for my charcoal fix.

thanks

Jeff

Gasser

Well, bought the Webber Q200.  I took it with me this weekend for a trial run at camping.  I set it up on the optional folding stand.  All I can say is... I love it!!!.  Before I left for the weekend I seasoned the cast iron cooking grate on my home grill.  I coated the whole thing in Crisco and put it on the grill.  I cooked the grate until the entire thing was black and non sticky.  It performed great on the trip and was already acting like a non stick surface.  I can recommend this grill to anyone.  Gets darn hot so searing the perfect medium rare steak would be a breeze.

Thanks for all the replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emphatico
Top Bottom