Opinions on Commercial Sealant for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dndgeez

I've looked and looked to find a decent sealant for my RV and the one Camping World recommends is C10 Flow.  But in my past I've used Vulkem (made by Tremco) which is a commercial grade sealant.  Does any one have any opinions on this? Or can someone give me any ideas on another brand that will last more than 5 years?

My trailer is 3 years old, and we have not covered it during the 3 years and the seals are looking really bad.  So I want to start fixing the areas before they start leaking or allowing moisture between the joints.

OBTW.... I will be buying a Subbrella cover really soon......

Thanks for your inputs.

Darin

Darin:

Several of us use Nicor self leveling sealant on the roof.

Tom:

We both may be wrong! Mine is underneath the RV so I did a search and came up with Dicor. ;D

I'll believe the guy who uses more than the rest of us combined! ;D ;D

Thanks for the correction Terry. You're right of course  :-[

LOL Jeff, he is right. I was too lazy to walk into the garage to find out.

The best thing to do is call the manufacturer of you rig and ask for their recommendations for sealant.  American coach uses three different types and none are Dicor.  I believe Dicor is common for rubber roofs.  Best to ask the manufacturer.

Darin,

>>My trailer is 3 years old, and we have not covered it during the 3 years and the seals are looking really bad.  So I want to start fixing the areas before they start leaking or allowing moisture between the joints. <<

What kind of seals are you talking about?  I am using ExternaBond tape for my roof re-caulking project.  It is a commercial product that is used on membrane and other roofs for sealing.  I think it is a big improvement over the caulking materials.  There are still places like around antennae and horns where the self leveling caulk is still the best though.

>>OBTW.... I will be buying a Subbrella cover really soon......<<

There have been a lot of reports of damage to the surface caused by chafing due to the wind causing the covers to move on the RVs surface.  Also they are a bear to put on and take off the larger RVs.  Just a comment that has been made frequently on various RV Lists.

Back
Top Bottom