Ordered the 5er now which truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bross

Today was the big day. After months of research we finally ordered a new Montana fifthwheel at the Hershey PA, RV Show. We won't take delivery for a few months so we have time to find the right truck. The 5th wheel is model 3400RL with a dry weight of 11,650 and  hitch weight of 1975.

I'm planning to buy a new diesel four wheel drive pickup truck to use as the tow vehicle and would like to hear recommendations as to which one is best. A few questions I have are: Should I get duel rear wheels? 2500 or 3500? Short bed or long? 2006 leftover or 2007 with added emissions equipment? Which brand?

What is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of your trailer?? ?It could be stated as a GVWR number or you would calculated it by adding the cargo capacity to the dry weight.

Congratulations on your new Montana 3400RL!? Our extensive research shows this to be an excellent choice and it is one beautiful rig!

bross said:

OK, you want a tow vehicle that has a tow rating of at least 15,500 lbs. if you restrict you towing to east of the Rockies.  Make that at least 17,500 lbs. if you would tow in the mountain or Pacific west because of the grades and altitudes you find there.

Happy hunting.  ;D

bross said:
I'm planning to buy a new diesel four wheel drive pickup truck to use as the tow vehicle and would like to hear recommendations as to which one is best. A few questions I have are: Should I get duel rear wheels? 2500 or 3500? Short bed or long? 2006 leftover or 2007 with added emissions equipment? Which brand?

Carl has given you the tow rating you need.  I'm thinking that's going to answer a lot of your questions about 2500, 3500 or MDT, SRW or DRW.  The four wheel drive is going to hurt - that stuff is not weightless. Make sure you are looking at tow rating for the specific truck you are looking at and not the adverized number which will of course be the biggest number for perhaps a hyphetical truck.  Two wheel drive, short bed, single cab, 4.10 rear end will give you the biggest GCWR.  When I looked at DRW versus SWR it seems about a wash - the DRW hurt and help since they add weight - you'll have to look at that.

Be aware also that there is significant difference between the pin weight in the brocure and the actual pin weight when you put it on the truck.  The brocure pin weight is x% of the brocure dry weight.  What is the corresponding pin weight for the GVWR of the trailer?  How does curb weight plus passengers and stuff plus pin weigh compare with the trucks GVWR?  Don't forget the bedliner and hitch and the generators you will likely want and air compressor and ....

Them 34 footers are a challenge for a LDT. The trailer GVWR is way more realistic than the dry weight.  You've got 13975-11650 pounds between dry weight and GVWR.  The 11650 is likely brocure weight and not the "as built" weght.  My actual weight is about 2000 lbs more than the as built weight and I don't have anywhere near the room to put stuff that you do.

I bought in 2004 and so am not current but from what I hear and read most everybody loves their truck.  It seems that all of the big three have figured out how to build 5th wheel haulers.

Can't help on the 2007 emissions.  I got my truck so I'm not knowledgble there.

Joel

Thanks for all the help. I've decided on the chevy. Its rated at 15,500 with the diesel and allison automatic. I know I'll be close to its max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom