OTRMobile / Activation / Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

Do any of you fellow full-timers use OTR Mobile for LTE based internet?

If so, could you do me a favor?  Can you tell me if your "location" when using a Non-GPS equipped device (like a laptop) indicates the approximate area which you were in when you activated the service?

This site: https://ipinfo.io/ will tell you the location based off your ip-address.  Look for the city/region tags. 

Here's what's up.

On June 20th I activated the OTR Mobile service while camped outside of Chicago.  I'm a huge Cubs and Baseball fan, so I have the MLB.TV subscription.  Due to the rules, the games are not available for streaming in the local broadcast area.  So, while hanging out in the Chicago area I wasn't able to stream the games, no big deal...I get it...rules are rules. 

Well, I've moved on up the road to Door County, WI.  I've also been in Madison, WI and Escanaba, MI since activating the OTR service.  Here's the scoop...I still can't watch the games, the system says blacked out.  I've put the local zip codes into the MLB site to check blackout status, and I should be blacked out of the Milwaukee games...not Chicago games. 

So...the MLB.TV system on the laptop and AppleTV are checking the geolocation of the ip-address.  Any mobile network experts out there know if I'm tied to the Chicago ip-address location since that's where I activated?  I certainly can't imagine how that's the case...but it sure is starting to go in that direction.

Thanks for your help folks.

solarman

ip076 said:
Do any of you fellow full-timers use OTR Mobile for LTE based internet?

If so, could you do me a favor?  Can you tell me if your "location" when using a Non-GPS equipped device (like a laptop) indicates the approximate area which you were in when you activated the service?

This site: https://ipinfo.io/ will tell you the location based off your ip-address.  Look for the city/region tags. 

Here's what's up.

On June 20th I activated the OTR Mobile service while camped outside of Chicago.  I'm a huge Cubs and Baseball fan, so I have the MLB.TV subscription.  Due to the rules, the games are not available for streaming in the local broadcast area.  So, while hanging out in the Chicago area I wasn't able to stream the games, no big deal...I get it...rules are rules. 

Well, I've moved on up the road to Door County, WI.  I've also been in Madison, WI and Escanaba, MI since activating the OTR service.  Here's the scoop...I still can't watch the games, the system says blacked out.  I've put the local zip codes into the MLB site to check blackout status, and I should be blacked out of the Milwaukee games...not Chicago games. 

So...the MLB.TV system on the laptop and AppleTV are checking the geolocation of the ip-address.  Any mobile network experts out there know if I'm tied to the Chicago ip-address location since that's where I activated?  I certainly can't imagine how that's the case...but it sure is starting to go in that direction.

Thanks for your help folks.

mine was activated in Houston,TX

since doing so I have seen my location reported in many different areas around Houston, even as far as San Antonio.
there is no reason I can think of why your activation location should be tied to the account.
is it possible that the phone number ( in the SIM ) suggests a home area but that's unlikely, the IP is usually used for approximate geo location

it is more likely that the streaming application has recorded and associates your network MAC address with your account and has
assumed that your activation IP is where you live. these streaming services are using devious methods to lock users into one area.

what kind of hotspot or lte modem are you using ?

ip076

I?ve got the Netgear 1100 LTE/Router.

Hmm. I never thought about the phone number and stuff.

I talked to the tech folks at MLB. They tell me it?s location based off the IP address, for the AppleTV anyways.  A phone uses the location services if available. 

I?m traveling to CA for work tomorrow. I?ve brought the router with, I plan on doing some testing with my Laptop.

solarman

ip076 said:
I’ve got the Netgear 1100 LTE/Router.

I talked to the tech folks at MLB. They tell me it’s location based off the IP address, for the AppleTV anyways.  A phone uses the location services if available. 

ah ok, then moving some distance to a new tower should net you a different address, you may have to move further than you think depending
on how the area is networked.  most cell carriers have a short DHCP lease time. so powering up after a few hours should get you a new address.

ip076

I just got to CA.  The router was off for a while on the airplane. 

I fired it up, and it's giving me a position out here rather than IL.  Maybe having it off for a few hours was the trick.  I had previously tried a simple power cycle to no avail. 

Thanks guys!

docj

I assume that none of the previous posts were made by people who have familiarity with using a VPN?  I use ExpressVPN and can make my IP location appear to be Dallas, New York City or any other city where it has a server.  I'm in Canada at the moment listening to Pandora which is a US-only streaming service!

NY_Dutch

docj said:
I assume that none of the previous posts were made by people who have familiarity with using a VPN?  I use ExpressVPN and can make my IP location appear to be Dallas, New York City or any other city where it has a server.  I'm in Canada at the moment listening to Pandora which is a US-only streaming service!

I prefer using the Fake GPS app on my Android phone and the Location Guard Chrome extension on my laptop to be anywhere I want to be for geofencing without being limited to a VPN's server locations. Earlier today I streamed a movie on a San Francisco OTA station sub-channel using Locast here in NY's Southern Tier.

Top Bottom