Our shakedown trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skister77

We finally got our first trip in the books. Did a 2 hour drive to the KOA in New Bern, NC. Truck and camper seemed very happy and having just added a brake controller, stopping felt flawless. Once we got to the site, one of the employees was super nice enough to help us navigate it into the site. From there we were on our own. Having read and read numerous stuff on RVing, it was time to put it to the test.

Setup took less than 20 minutes. Both my wife and I did it together so we both knew what to do. I only needed 2 of the levelers (1 for each tire on the driver side) (port if you are into boating :D). I then put the blocks under the levelers and used the impact driver to set them up. Easy peasy! Then it was just hooking up the hoses and grabbing the chairs.

The only downfall to our trip was we were without children and they put us next to the jump house. Luckily we do love kids just not that day haha. They were being kids just screaming and having fun. We were able to test out everything and having a 10 yo travel trailer, I was amazed that almost everything worked. The only issues were the coax didn't work (no issue as we have a firestick and TV) and 1 window over the table I was unable to open.

All in all it was a great experience and a fun first trip.

VA Beach is next on the agenda in 9 days.

Happy RVing....

Glad you added a brake controller, and glad to hear your first shakedown was enjoyable!

KOA's are a mixed bag like that. It's hard to be truly annoyed when it's just kids having fun and doing what kids do, but we'd also prefer not to have that going on right outside our window. In a number of KOA parks, staff have been super accommodating when we've asked to be put in a quiet section of the park, or not near "attractions", and if a site is available, they are usually happy to make a change for us.

Awesome. It's always great to hear of a good first outing. Hopefully you make a list of things that could be done right, or better, or even not done. Things you forgot, things you brought but decide you probably don't need, etc. And if you have any questions, let us know.

A tip on your TV coax problem; If you know a friendly "cable guy", ask him to make up an RG-6 coax for you, leaving the center conductor about an 1/8" longer than usual at the fittings. RG-6 center conductors are slightly larger diameter than the common RG-59 coax often supplied with RV's. That gives them a tighter fit in the often worn park connections. The extra length will also go a little deeper in the connection, often getting past worn or corroded contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom