Ouray, Colorado August 12-19, 2017 Off-Road Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And just an FYI.

We are NOT accepting any more cancellations so those of you on the list will just have to plan on attending.

NO exceptions. ;D

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
And just an FYI.

We are NOT accepting any more cancellations so those of you on the list will just have to plan on attending.

NO exceptions. ;D

Mike.

You can add one more couple to the list. Our son (Bradley) and daughter-in-law (Mara) will be joining us. They are planning on renting a jeep from the campground. Right now it's rented Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Will any of those be a day off?

Hey Mike, we are just sick to death having to miss Ouray, but we will be at both Moab and St George rally. Look forward to seeing you guys there. Also can't wait to see your new coach paint job.

Jeff and Anita said:
You can add one more couple to the list. Our son (Bradley) and daughter-in-law (Mara) will be joining us. They are planning on renting a jeep from the campground. Right now it's rented Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Will any of those be a day off?

That is great news guys.  The more the merrier.

Don't know of any days off yet but we will help them to make sure they get the most use out of their rental.

If it were me I would say no days off because it is Ouray, but my wife informed me we will probably have to have a day off in their somewhere. :(  She's probably right, but I'll deny it if anyone tells her. ;)

I will add them to the attendees list.

Mike.

Becks said:
Hey Mike, we are just sick to death having to miss Ouray, but we will be at both Moab and St George rally. Look forward to seeing you guys there. Also can't wait to see your new coach paint job.

I'm sure you guys are sad to miss the rally, but I just have to give you **** Gary.  You had to know that was coming. ;D

Looking forward to seeing you guys in Moab at least. 

Safe travels.

Mike.

Updated attendees list to include Jeff & Anita's son and DIL, whom we are glad to have join us.

1  Billings , Ralph & Diane      Ralph & Diane
2  Sirota, Jeff & Anita  60  Jeff and Anita  with guests Bradley & Mara (welcome).
3  Brewer, Terry & Betty  77  Betty Brewer
4  Weimert, Frank & Barb    95  FrankW
5  Wishard, Henry & Margaret  97  Henry Wishard
6  Dodd, Larry & Loretta    99  THE Big Larry
7  Roscoe, Bill  102  Photog
8  Zuech, Mike & Chrystal  108  ZMotorsports
9  Starr, Dave    ?            DJStarr
10  Foster, Mike & Cindy
11  Falchini, Steve & Dee,  Steve N Dee
12  Fitzgerald, Jerry & Ardra,  ArdraF
13  Parks, Chet & Laurie,  Chet18013
14  Schneider, Lou    Lou Schnei
15  Ferguson, Gary & Coleen  taoshum

Mike.

ATTENTION all who are planning on attending the August 2017 Ouray RVForum Off-Road Gathering.

I would like to address a couple of house cleaning items prior to the rally so we all come to Ouray prepared and ready to enjoy our off-roading adventure and get the most out of the area.

There has been much debate over the years about the need to purchase and display a Colorado Off-Road Permit on the trails of Colorado specifically pertaining to Jeeps.  Also there has been debate over whether or not a Jeep is considered an OHV (Off- Highway Vehicle) because they are actually licensed on-highway vehicles and whether or not they should be under the same scrutiny as standard OHV's.  This seems to come up almost every year and there are debates on both sides, this year being no exception.  After the past couple of days and multiple phone calls of contacting various Colorado organizations (and even then getting different versions) I have concluded that there still seems to be much confusion surrounding this topic and surprise, surprise, you can?t seem to get the correct information on the internet. ;D 

I called the Ouray Chamber Resort and Visitor's center and was told if the Jeep is licensed to be on the street there is nothing else to do but come and enjoy the trails.  I called the Colorado Parks & Wildlife division today and spoke with a park ranger who said the opposite and that even a licensed Jeep driving off-pavement, dirt state or county roads must have an OHV permit to be legal.  Seems as though even amongst Colorado agencies there is some confusion.  To avoid any issues during the rally it would be beneficial to simply ask that we all have a Colorado OHV Permit.  It is valid through March 2018 and is only $25.25.  The money also goes directly back to the Colorado Parks & Recreation to help keep our trails open and maintained that we are using so we should look at it as an investment in our trail system that we are utilizing and being good stewards over those trails.

It is quite simple to acquire a Colorado OHV Permit either on-line OR by calling and placing your order over the phone, it will then be mailed directly to you.  I was told to please allow at least 2-weeks for the permit to arrive in the mail when I ordered mine.  There is no need to have to present VIN #'s or any actual vehicle information, simply purchase the generic OHV decal/permit and when it arrives place it on your Jeep.

To order via telephone please call 303-866-3203, ext. 4624.

To order via the Colorado Parks & Recreation website please go to this link.
https://wildlifestore.state.co.us/

After accessing the link above, the correct permit is the orange 2018 OHV sticker with ?VOID? typed across it for non-resident and resident plated vehicles.  It is valid through March 2018.  Click the link to order and then checkout.

Here is a link to where the decal/sticker must be placed on your Jeep.
http://cpw.state.co.us/PublishingImages/Trails/OHV/jeepicon.jpg

Here is a link for more information if you choose to read more about the OHV, go down to ?Out Of State? then click on decal placement just below that for another route to the decal placement.
http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx

Other items to bring to Ouray.

While we are discussing coming to Ouray prepared, I thought it would be a good idea to mention some other items that attendees should plan on bringing so we are all ready for the off-road adventure and breathtaking scenery we are going to enjoy.

? CB radio and/or handheld so we can all stay in touch while on the trails.  Also please familiarize yourself with your particular model and how to use it.
? First Aid kit.  This should be pretty much standard equipment to us Jeep owners when traveling the back country but we routinely still see Jeeps on the trails that have a need arise and yet they do not have a First Aid kit with them.
? Water, food and/or snacks.  When traveling most days we will be stopping for lunch breaks on the trail so please plan on bringing your lunch and plenty of water with you each day.  Even on days we may plan on going to lunch in town it is still a good idea to pack some food or snacks with you while traveling as sometimes plans change unexpectedly due to a break down, weather or trail condition and more time will need to be spent on the trail than originally planned.  Unfortunately we have been delayed getting off the mountain until the wee early morning hours on several occasion assisting on a break down or recovery so please come prepared with water, food and/or snacks.

Lastly, and most importantly, please come and plan on having a great time enjoying the fantastic scenery that the San Juan Mountains provide and enjoy meeting up with old friends and creating new friendships.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone in August.

Mike & Chrystal

Your Colorado OHV permit will also be good for the FMCA 4x4 event in Buena Vista so you get a "TwoFer".

Looking forward to Mike & Chrystal's excellent off road event. . . . .

Team LoLa

Thanks everyone.

Chrystal and I are VERY much looking forward to our Ouray trip and seeing everyone again.

This will more than likely be the first time I have had a chance to get the Jeep off-road in a year which in my opinion is just wrong. :mad:

Mike

Mike,

Re your reply 106 explaining how to get an ORV permit.  I would like to ask how rough and tough the off road trails will be?  I wonder, will there be ANY moderate or easy trails?  I am not interested in beating up our our Jeep Grand Cherokee. 

I ask because at Quartzsite earlier this year we took our Jeep Grand Cherokee after being assured the trail was STILL okay for us but after getting there I heard that the route we took was the TOUGH trail.  BTW, at the VERY VERY NARROW point in the tough trail we only had an inch or two to spare.  It was a point of no return!  At that point my suspicions that we were on a much more difficult trail were proven to me but there was no going back.   

It was more than I wanted to do in beating up our Grand Cherokee so if I knew how rough it would be ahead of time I would have passed on that trail ride.

On the other hand, if the trails are all to tough for us and our Jeep Grand Cherokee we'll see if we can hitch a ride! 

Best regards,

JerryF

Jerry, the trails in the Ouray/Silverton area of the San Juans are not nearly as difficult as what you would find in say Moab, I can't speak to the trails of QZ though.

That being said, most are easily traveled by stock vehicles but there will be a couple of days where we will be tackling a couple of the more difficult trails of the area such as Black Bear Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch.  There will be one day I am sure we will head over to Lake City for lunch which will be a full day but very doable trails for stock vehicles. 

We don't want you doing anything you don't feel comfortable with and we definitely don't want you to beat up your vehicle. 

I hate to put out an agenda on what days we will be running which trails because weather can/will play a role.  We will discuss during the first night's Happy Hour and by then we should have a pretty good idea of which days will be rain and plan accordingly as many of the trails are doable rain or shine. 

Mike

I agree that part of Poughkeepsie Gulch is difficult, but two years ago I went over it with a stock Cherokee.  I winched it over the wall with no trouble.  There is a by-pass if being winched over the wall is a no go.  Other than the wall the rest of the trip in one of the most beautiful in the area.

Mike,

That's great because there probably will be some that we can go on.  As usual we can decide the day before if the next days trail ride would be to rough.  Thanks for the info.

JerryF

PHOTOG,

I loved your last post where you said, "I agree that part of Poughkeepsie Gulch is difficult, but two years ago I went over it with a stock Cherokee and I though oh boy an easy one.  WOW... THAT'S GREAT THAT A STOCK CHEROKEE can do it,

BUT the next sentence, "I winched it over the wall with no trouble" gave me a big laugh.

Thanks,

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Mike,

That's great because there probably will be some that we can go on.  As usual we can decide the day before if the next days trail ride would be to rough.  Thanks for the info.

JerryF

You're welcome Jerry, don't worry, there are plenty of trails to run in the area that you will be just fine on.

Plan on being amazed by the spectacular scenery and views that the area has to offer.

Looking forward to seeing your and Ardra again.

Mike

Mike,
  Do you know if the rental Jeep will already have the appropriate decals or do you think we need to purchase one also?

Steve

Steve N Dee said:
Mike,
  Do you know if the rental Jeep will already have the appropriate decals or do you think we need to purchase one also?

Steve

Good question, Steve. I will call today to find out since our son rented a jeep as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom