Ouray Off-Roading Adventure August 11-18, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Terry A. Brewer said:
Mike

You forgot Terry & Betty... Easy to do.<G>

Well hell Terry, how did that happen???? 

Sorry about that, thanks for speaking up.  You are definitely on "the list" now. ;)

I also just received a message from Allen and Suzanne (one of our Australian couples) that they will also be joining.

Here is the "updated" attendees list.

1.  * Mike & Chrystal                zmotorsports
2.  * Frank & Barb                  FrankW/Barb
3.  * Jeff & Anita                      Jeff and Anita
4.  *Gary & Darlene                Becks
5.  * Gary & Colleen                toashum
6.  * John & Susan                  John Beard
7.  * Bill & Corinne                  Photog
8.  * Larry & Loretta                THEBigLarry
9.  *Jan & Olga                        Jan Stiskala (probably maybe)
10.  *Richard & Vickie              rvramblin
11. *Robin & Charles              Roadhappy
12. *Lou Schneider                Lou Schneider
13. *Don & Becky Paulsen      FMCA 4-Wheelers
14. *Bev & Dave Hess            FMCA 4-Wheelers
15. *Don Doniak                    FMCA 4-Wheelers
16. *Betsy & Carl Trygstad      FMCA 4-Wheelers
17. *Terry & Betty Brewer      Terry A. Brewer/Betty Brewer
18. *Allen & Suzanne              flexitdriver

On a side note, we attended our local Jeep club meeting a couple of weeks ago and they have posted the clubs yearly trail runs and I had just noticed that they will be in the Ouray area during the same week.  Hope that doesn't scare anyone off.

Mike

My local Jeep Club is doing a club only run to Ouray on July 21-28. We got lucky and everyone who is coming was able to secure reservations at Ridgeway State Park.

Instead of going to Oregon for a month this summer we will be spending the hottest month in Colorado July 19- August 25.

zmotorsports said:
Well hell Terry, how did that happen???? 

Sorry about that, thanks for speaking up.  You are definitely on "the list" now. ;)

I also just received a message from Allen and Suzanne (one of our Australian couples) that they will also be joining.

Here is the "updated" attendees list.

1.  * Mike & Chrystal                zmotorsports
6.  * John & Susan                  John Beard
7.  * Bill & Corinne                  Photog
8.  * Larry & Loretta                THEBigLarry
9.  *Jan & Olga                        Jan Stiskala (probably maybe)
10.  *Richard & Vickie              rvramblin
11. *Robin & Charles              Roadhappy
12. *Lou Schneider                Lou Schneider
13. *Don & Becky Paulsen      FMCA 4-Wheelers
14. *Bev & Dave Hess            FMCA 4-Wheelers
15. *Don Doniak                    FMCA 4-Wheelers
16. *Betsy & Carl Trygstad      FMCA 4-Wheelers
17. *Terry & Betty Brewer      Terry A. Brewer/Betty Brewer
18. *Allen & Suzanne              flexitdriver

On a side note, we attended our local Jeep club meeting a couple of weeks ago and they have posted the clubs yearly trail runs and I had just noticed that they will be in the Ouray area during the same week.  Hope that doesn't scare anyone off.

Mike

FYI it is DAn Doniak.. He likes Daniel.

Many thanks to all that replied on the Jeeps.  We will probably go with the Rubicon to see how it handles.  We can't wait to see our old friends and meet new ones!!

Charles and Robin

This is George Martin, Diane and I are in the FMCA 4 Wheelers and went to Big Bend with you in 2016. We would like to join you if we can find a campground.

Allegro Bus said:
This is George Martin, Diane and I are in the FMCA 4 Wheelers and went to Big Bend with you in 2016. We would like to join you if we can find a campground.
Hey George and Diane. Hope your life is going smoothly. Get on the wait list for a KOA campsite in Ouray  .  It will  be the most fun to stay in park with all of us.

Betty

I'm signed up for a Habitat For Humanity build in Durango from July 15 -29 and will be wandering north towards Ouray from there.

It's something I've been wanting to do for some time, now guess what ... I can!    :)

We will be coming into Ouray from Alb. N.M. on highway 550.  Is this doable with our fifthwheel or is there a better route?

Robin

In talking with my eldest son this morning and reviewing our respective calendars we both noted that my grandson is going to be born around the 21st of August. So, with that in mind and my primary obligation of being there with my family I am going to miss the main rally. The good news is that I'll get to attend the pre-run week with Jeff and Anita et.al.

The other good news is that there will be a Ouray KOA Creekside back in coming available for the event. I will not cancel my reservation, and perhaps a forum member will take the reservation and we can coordinate. Arrive 8/11/2018, depart 8/19/2-18.

Back In, 30/20 Amps, Full Hookups
The most asked for full hookup site,park on gravel,surrounded by grass, beautiful mountain views. Back up on the sunny side of the stream. Jeep rentals, BBQ cafe, Breakfast.

John Beard said:
In talking with my eldest son this morning and reviewing our respective calendars we both noted that my grandson is going to be born around the 21st of August. So, with that in mind and my primary obligation of being there with my family I am going to miss the main rally. The good news is that I'll get to attend the pre-run week with Jeff and Anita et.al.

The other good news is that there will be a Ouray KOA Creekside back in coming available for the event. I will not cancel my reservation, and perhaps a forum member will take the reservation and we can coordinate. Arrive 8/11/2018, depart 8/19/2-18.

Back In, 30/20 Amps, Full Hookups
The most asked for full hookup site,park on gravel,surrounded by grass, beautiful mountain views. Back up on the sunny side of the stream. Jeep rentals, BBQ cafe, Breakfast.

Hi John,

Congratulations on your grandson. Our grandson is due in about 2 weeks. What site # is it? We have reservations but our site is pretty small. Thanks.

Anita

Jeff and Anita said:
Hi John,

Congratulations on your grandson. Our grandson is due in about 2 weeks. What site # is it? We have reservations but our site is pretty small. Thanks.

Anita

IDK which site number, it's only 30A but it will fit a 40' coach. Oh, and it is on the sunny side of the stream abutting it.

Allegro Bus said:

George, we are glad to have you and Diane join us for our get-together.  As Betty mentioned get on the waiting list at the KOA as soon as possible as there will be cancellations from other people staying at the campground as we are still 4 months away.  You could even contact John Beard or Anita from this thread as it sounds like John will not be joining us and there may be a site already available.  I will update the attendees list and add you and Diane to the rally.  Looking forward to having you.

Mike

Roadhappy said:
We will be coming into Ouray from Alb. N.M. on highway 550.  Is this doable with our fifthwheel or is there a better route?

Robin

Robin, I just noticed no one has responded to your question yet and we've been away from internet access for the past week and I just saw the latest activity on this thread.

As for Highway 550 from Durango up through Silverton and into Ouray, it is doable with your RV as long as you and Charles feel comfortable with mountain driving, we've done it flat-towing our Jeep but not towing our enclosed trailer behind the coach.  The highway is decent road but quite narrow in places, has some steep sections and very curvy.  I feel the steepest and narrowest section is from Ouray to about 12-miles south of Ouray but you will heading north and therefore descending the steepest section into Ouray vs. climbing it up and out, this will also put you closer to the mountain than the drop-off (if that makes you feel any better  ;)).

If you opt to go around I have heard Highway 285 up through Alamosa to Salida is quite good but maybe someone who has actually been on that section can confirm.  We have been on highway 50 between Montrose and Gunnison and it is very good highway.

Wish I could have been more help.

Mike

Figured I would update the attendees list with the latest addition and cancellation.

Here is what we have so far for our Ouray get-together.

1.  * Mike & Chrystal Zuech      zmotorsports
6.  * Bill & Corinne                  Photog
7.  * Larry & Loretta                THEBigLarry
8.  *Jan & Olga                      Jan Stiskala (probably maybe)
9.  *Richard & Vickie              rvramblin
10. *Robin & Charles              Roadhappy
11. *Lou Schneider                Lou Schneider
12. *Don & Becky Paulsen      FMCA 4-Wheelers
13. *Bev & Dave Hess            FMCA 4-Wheelers
14. *Don Doniak                    FMCA 4-Wheelers
15. *Betsy & Carl Trygstad      FMCA 4-Wheelers
16. *Terry & Betty Brewer      Terry A. Brewer/Betty Brewer
17. *Allen & Suzanne              flexitdriver
18. *George & Diane Martin    Allegro Bus

Only four short months away folks. ;D

Mike & Chrystal

John Beard said:
IDK which site number, it's only 30A but it will fit a 40' coach. Oh, and it is on the sunny side of the stream abutting it.

Thanks for getting back to us. We have a 50 amp, so we will stay in our original spot. Sounds like George Martin might be looking for a spot, they may be interested.

YouTube is your friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64fYEnV6jQ8

The interesting parts are the descent after the summit at about 15 minutes in, and the final descent into Ouray starting at about 26 minutes in.  Make sure you gear down for them, at least going north you're on the inside lane going past the worst dropoffs.  There are no guardrails because they hinder snow removal in the winter.  You can't really see them in the northbound video since you're on the other side of the road, they're much more evident going south as seen in the first 10 minutes of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOknlo1zUJo

You can speed up the playback up to 50% on the Settings menu (the gear wheel) if you don't want to watch in real time.

Received this picture this morning.

Attachments

• 34984357_2383165805030583_1116583641741262848_n[1].jpg
    34984357_2383165805030583_1116583641741262848_n[1].jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 35026635_2383165798363917_1926653918746509312_n[1].jpg
    35026635_2383165798363917_1926653918746509312_n[1].jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member