Outdoor RV mats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elm_tx

Hey All,

I saw a thread on here a while back talking about outdoor mats and their effects on grass, i.e. house hold rug will kill grass dead in less then a day, loosely woven mats lets the grass breathe and gives it a better chance of living. I'd rather not run around the country killing 16 x 5 squares of mother nature!!!  ;)

With that said, Camping World has Patty O'Mats for ~$150 bucks and Prest-o-Fit mats at ~$55 bucks. The Patty mats claim to be loosely woven (better for the grass), the Presto mats don't say one way or the other. I've got plenty of things to spend one hundred dollars on (like towards a generator) other then a mat.

Does anyone have an opinion (loaded question on this forum  ;D) between the two, and will the Presto mats be reasonably environmentally friendly?

Thanks in advance folks!!!
Eddie

Eddie,

My question always has been....if you have grass, why do you need a mat? The only time we use a mat is when we're camped on dirt and use it so we don't track a lot of dirt into the RV. I never have to worry about killing grass.

Just my 2 cents.

We prefer the loosely woven and not because of the grass.  Our first was the rug type and while we were out it rained ... it took days for it to dry out.  If we had been able to stay in same campground it might not have been such a big deal but we were on the way home and at a new campground every day.  Mud stained and mildew ... the loosely woven drys more quickly and is lighter to start with.

I have to agree with Don, if you have grass why do you need a mat?  In fact, if you have grass, you should not use a mat, you are damaging the site.  Mats are for dirt, sand, and gravel.

elm_tx said:
I saw a thread on here a while back talking about outdoor mats and their effects on grass, i.e. house hold rug will kill grass dead in less then a day, loosely woven mats lets the grass breathe and gives it a better chance of living. I'd rather not run around the country killing 16 x 5 squares of mother nature!!!?
Does anyone have an opinion (loaded question on this forum )

Eddie,
I purchased those plastic woven mats made in China for about $40 for an 8x12.  I buy them because they have cool designs and I like the colors, however,  I hardly ever use them!  They blow up around edges in the slightest winds, they pick up dirt when I am ready to fold them up and they don't last long in desert with sun.  Still I carry 2 of them.  If I have a site with grass I only use a door mat. I often look at those Patty O mats but haven't  "needed" one.  I'd go for the generator!
Betty Brewer

Good point, I simpy assumed (and we all kow what happens then) that one would be tracking dirt into their RV if they did not have a large mat out front. The way the previous thread went I was of the impression that a mat was needed all the time. I know you can wipe your feet on a mat inside the RV but I don't want Any dirt inside if possible. My new toy is Way to clean to start messing up right off the bat.

Still wondering if the less expesive is a loose weave or not. Asian made over American made will probably make my mind up for me. I need to look into that.

Thanks All!!!

elm_tx said:
I know you can wipe your feet on a mat inside the RV but I don't want Any dirt inside if possible. My new toy is Way to clean to start messing up right off the bat.

Gosh that will be a tall request.  Wind blows in dirt, feet track in dirt,  fuels stations bring in dirt, weather brings in dirt.  But you will get used to it!  The first dirt hurts the most!    :)  Have fun!
Betty

Sounds as if you are in for a rude awakening.  One trip to Florida, Arizona, or Texas and see if you can keep the sand out.  I'LL clue you in  NO WAY  Things and ideas will change in a hurry.  I still have sand in our MH from Florida since 2001 and myh wife is a matiulous house keeper.  Good Luck 

A lot of us take our shoes off at the entry and leave them outdoors or on a rug or tiled entry area just inside the door of the coach. This Japanese habit does the best at keeping dirt, oil and pebbles out of the carpet.

We bought a loose woven one and in two years it is falling apart. We are not full timers either. Came from camping world.

I use the mat when I'm parked on dirt... That way I don't have to worry about killing grass. On grass I use a "Grass Mat" it is made from 100% natural Grass (With the occasional chemical additive) and what's more it is free :)

We use a mat when stopped for more than a few days. It does help keep crap from being tracked into the motor home by us and the two dogs.
We do not remove our shoes when we come into the motor home and don't intend to.

The first mat we had we got from Camping World and it was not a loose weave - cost was about $50 as I recall. It was heavy when wet, hard to fold, hard to clean, and I thought it was never to wear out - and it didn't.
So we pitched it last spring and bought a loose weave type at the DonWes flea market in south TX for $35. It only lasted about six months.

We just bought a new one at the Quartzsite RV show for $55. There were cheaper ones there but the guy we bought it from is there every year and swears it will last. We will see......

Clay L said:
We just bought a new one at the Quartzsite RV show for $55. There were cheaper ones there but the guy we bought it from is there every year and swears it will last. We will see......

You believed a salesman ??? ??? ???  Hope it does last for you.  We bought two at Home Depot the first was stolen at Traverse City State park and the second we are still using.

Clay

The way things have been going the last couple of years, that salesman probably won't be back at QZ next year. Each year, for the last couple of years, the old standbys have closed shop or have been forced out and the trend seems to be accelerating. :mad:

BernieD said:
Clay

The way things have been going the last couple of years, that salesman probably won't be back at QZ next year. Each year, for the last couple of years, the old standbys have closed shop or have been forced out and the trend seems to be accelerating. :mad:

Greedy city fathers IMHO.  Many of the old school vendors are in Yuma now and some in Goodyear I understand.

Yup, it does seem they are trying to close down Quzartsite.  And GREED is the word.

I know last year several of the vendors were more than a bit upset, including one I had to track down cause  I wanted to buy something from them (Did too)  I need to re-visit them later. IF they are still there.

Beaudry RV took over way too much of Rice Ranch, and other changes  only the big tent remains and I suspect rent there has gone up too.

I must be doing something right. I have been using mats for years and I have never killed the grass. Camping at the same campground and even the same site two or three weekends a month. I would know if the grass was dying or not. It could be that the grass is a little longer than most campgrounds or the sun is not as strong in ohio.

There sure seemed to be fewer RVers and vendors in Quartzsite this year than in the four years we have been coming here.
Many of the vendors I spoke with were pretty unhappy about the new fees, rents, and regulations they have to deal with.
The RV show seemed to pull in a lot of folks but I haven't seen any numbers yet.

LaPoz country had a public comment meeting here in Bouse last week about new proposed rules that would require an approved building on any lot with an RV on it and limit stays to 90 days max.
The officials left after only 10 minutes or so but I am not sure why. I heard because they got so many comments they didn't like, but that is rumor at this point. In any case it looks like the area is doing their best to kill the golden goose.

Back
Top Bottom