Outdoor RV Speakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatman52

Would like to install outdoor speakers on my 1995 Class C.? My thinking would be to purchase some enclosed outdoor weatherproof speakers, such as those offered by Bose, etc., and rig up some sort of quick-detach mounts, perhaps on the awning supports.? Would have male mini-plugs on the speakers, and the female sockets somewhere on the outside of the RV (perhaps under one of the covers).? Speakers would be driven from the back channel of the in-dash AM/FM/CD, as that's where the XM is hooked up and that's what we listen to most often.? Obviously, I'll need to get speaker wire from the in-dash head unit to the exterior of the RV.? Anyone else done something like this?? Any advice/words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark:

Perhaps you have a particular need for the speakers but if you would like to be a good neighbor while RVing forget the outside speakers and get a good wireless headset.

I race motorcycles, and use the RV to camp at the track.  After the races, it tends to be dinner/drinks/party time, hence the desire for outdoor speakers.

Hatman52 said:
I race motorcycles, and use the RV to camp at the track.? After the races, it tends to be dinner/drinks/party time, hence the desire for outdoor speakers.

Hi Mark:

I just purchased a new used MH from a dealer in Austin. He and his friends attended auto racing rallies -- and as you say, noise in that environment can be a plus vs. what one finds in an RV park. This rig is a 34' Winny Class A with a pretty wide compartment just under the factory installed entertainment center.

They installed a heavy duty amp on the back wall of the compartment and sat two normal, but huge, enclosed auto stereo speakers plus an even bigger woofer on the compartment floor.? The left and right normals had long enough cords to be taken out of the compartment if so desired. So weather was never a consideration.

He then hooked the system up to the outside entertainment center radio so they could play FM or CD's from the Sony header (they replaced the factory installed radio there). In that vintage Winny, they placed the house and chassis batteries under the entry steps so in this case, they were right beside the compartment containing the speakers and amp.

I don't do that type of Rallies or have the need for the speakers or amp. so let him take them out for placement in his next rig. However, they also replaced the dash radio with a top of the line Alpine header -- with a huge bass boom box under the dash. It has a connector to attach Aux input so i can connect my iPod whenever. I tone it down in parks -- but do enjoy it while driving.? ;)

I think you are going to want to put in a small amp in (if your head unit has line outs {rca jacks}, use those to feed the amp) run sheilded speaker wire back to a storage compartment under coach (should be able to buy it by the foot anyplace selling home pre-wire cabling such as Home Depot or Lowes) ?Then go to Radio Shack (blatent plug) and get a 100 watt stereo volume control Catalog #: 40-987 $36.00 and whatever male and female plugs you wish to use. ?Mount the volume control and female jack in a project box, connect up your sheilded speaker wires from the amp and mount out of way in storage compartment.
The same sheilded cable will work to run from the project box (connected with the male plugs) to each speaker mounted under the canopy. ?If the coach's head unit does a good job and quality componants are used (speakers and amp) this can sound pretty decent and the volume control will give better access to volume control that someone crawling in and out of the coach.

Good luck!
Griff

Or what Bob said!  Guess I was away from computer for longer than I thought!

I like what Jeff said.  Forget about entertaining the campground, we don't need it and we don't want it.  Wear a head set and tone down the volume and the partying.  BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR....  A temporary audio setup will make you the hero of the cycle club and spare the rest of us the NOISE....

OnaQuest said:
I like what Jeff said.? Forget about entertaining the campground, we don't need it and we don't want it.? Wear a head set and tone down the volume and the partying.? BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR....? A temporary audio setup will make you the hero of the cycle club and spare the rest of us the NOISE....

Hello OnAQuest:

You seem to misunderstand the situation he is describing. Would someone wear a headset and try to be a nice quiet neighbor at a tailgate party before a football game?  :) Lotsa RV's there all night having fun.  At these rally's they park and camp right at the track -- and if someone wants peace and quiet, they don't park there -- they go to the type of park you are thinking of.

If he spends the night "after" the rally in the type of park where he might be your neighbor, he will not be using the outside system. And I'm sure you would not even know he was there -- sound wise.

Hi Hatman!!  A friend of mine is a supplier for motorcycle racers and has invited me to a few tailgate and "after parties" at Super Cross.  It was at one of these races that I finally decided that I HAD to buy an RV, so my son could get more riding time in at the desert.  Over the edge, amped out, mounted outside speakers are a must.  Outside (mounted) huge Plasma TV with usb computer feed or dvd player to rerun the races on is even better.  I have no technical knowledge (at all) of these things, but I sure do enjoy them in the right environment.  Motorcycle races are a perfect place for outrageous outside techno gear.  I expect an invite to the next "after party" when you get it all set up  ;)
Now if  you ever park next to me on the beach at night, that is a different story.  You have to pull out (and use) your headsets so I can hear the ocean roar, my campfire crackle, and the sea gulls settle in for the night.
I bet you already knew that!
Good luck with your project.
Jozee

AMA Supercross is a much more commercial environment -- lots of multi-million dollar factory semis and million dollar coaches.  I roadrace at the club level (although I do a couple of AMA Pro races each year), where the pit scene tends to be a lot more laid back.  Like I said, when racing is over, the grills, burgers and beers come out and people hang out and have a good time.

I'm not looking for huge sound -- just a bit of background music.  The Pioneer head unit I have has an internal 22x4 amplifier.  I'll probably hook these outdoor speakers to the rear channels and see how that sounds before I go with the additional amplifier.  I found a set of automotive enclosed speakers from Kicker that are designed for outdoor use.  They look just like the Bose, etc. home outdoor speakers, but they're 4 ohm instead of the usual 8 ohm for home speakers, which should help avoid the need for an additional amp.  The volume control is a good idea.  The head unit has an infared remote, but they tend to be line of sight and don't work well unless within a foot or two.

Appreciate the tips and feedback from everyone.  :)

Mark

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom