Outdoor storage in town vs countryside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

I am having trouble deciding whether to store my Class C in town or in the country side at my cousin's house.

In town is $100/year. In the last few years, they have had theft issues, however. They have cameras, but those only help after the fact.

On a farm in the country side, there are going to be more mice, despite the repellents that I have used, including botanicals and dryer sheets. I did find a nice 9x9" hole that the manufacturer never sealed, which is likely how they got in, so I think this year will be better.

Mice have previously chewed through the 10 awg wire that connects the generator to the 30A cable for shore power and built a nest in my furnace, making the whole cab smell like mouse pee when I start it up.

Vandals/thieves have stolen the batteries and taken a crow bar to my father in law's newer trailer.

Mice or vandals: which is more destructive? I am thinking mice would be better because those repairs don't cost nearly as much as if vandals destroyed the frame of my door.

I don't have any experience with rodents and hope that I don't but have had my RV broken into and they stole all my electronics except for TV. Then as a followup someone used my credit card in Ohio and I'm in Calfornia. It makes it difficult now when I have to store the rv till I find a new place.
I guess with intruders whether they are human or animals they leave you wondering what's easier to safeguard? Where you are with the rodents is the storage area secure? You don't want to have to deal with rodents and the possibility of vandals breaking in.
Sorry for the lousy answer as both options you have is choosing the place that has the Lesser Evil.
You had the in town parking at 100 a year? Or is it for the month?

based only on your post -

If I had to choose between the theft and unknown hidden damage I *think* I would choose theft. At least then you now what you;re dealing with, and potentially insurance will cover it. I don't know if ins will cover rodent damage.

But, I would think rodents are easier to prevent than thieves. Bait packs seem to work good and closing up any access points.

I've not stored RVs but have lived in the country where mice would get into anything not moved daily. I used bait packs in cars parked for a few days and it eliminated the damage.. still smelled like mouse pee sometimes but a little air freshener helped with that.

I live just on the edge of aa small town.  My camper is in the back yard.  I would save the $100 a year, thank my cousin, put a bucket trap inside and relax.

$100 / yr, Intown.  Geeze, around here it's $50/mo.  and no guarantees mice don't come there as well.
I store my small 20' at the side of my house.

If I were you, I would store at the farm, and get industrial type mouse traps at every wheel.  The good type, enclosed, like restaurants use outside.  Not the bait that kills them later, or kills anything that eats it.  Maybe get your brothers kids a few outdoor cats?

I find mice to be less destructive. If a thief took a crowbar to my door, it would smash the frame, which would cost me $500 to replace according to my local RV dealer's catalog. Older door frames aren't nearly as robust as modern ones. My plan is to store it up against a post or wall at the storage facility. That would make the easiest door to access, the most difficult to open.

That still leaves the storage cubbies to destroy. The facility has cameras. But as far as I know, they have never caught anybody since my FIL was never paid restitution from the guys who stole his batteries and broke his door lock.

On the farm, they have a bunch of cats already, but if mice make it inside of the camper, the cats won't help. I do like the bucket trap idea for the inside of the cab though. That should take care of the ones that the cats don't. Due to old fixtures, I am thinking about blowing out the water lines with air and leaving them with about 20PSI while being stored. Theoretically, that would tell me if I have a leak. Since I have rerouted the water lines to more accessible areas, I can more easily find the damage, if any. As of now, mice haven't touched the water lines. They have, however, chewed on the softer insulation for the romex running under the shower. I think that is the only one though.

Sounds like parking it on the farm is a much better idea than risking expensive damage from thieves.

Wow...$50/mo for RV storage? That?s dirt cheap. Around here, most of the self-store places that offer outsie
De RV storage START at $150/mo...and go up from there.

BoomerD said:
Wow...$50/mo for RV storage? That?s dirt cheap. Around here, most of the self-store places that offer outsie
De RV storage START at $150/mo...and go up from there.

Yikes, that's high.

yeah, the fancy pants places around here, with security cameras and electric gates pretty much are $100 and up here per month, no electric, etc..

I keep thinking it must be a great business to get into.

$100 a year seems like a deal

Hard to say, because there are so many nuances that matter....convenience to get to and from, level ground, dry ground, 24/7 access, etc...
but I think I'd probably opt for the farm.  My thought is park it far away from barns and structure, someplace that is wide open or can be mowed short and often so the buggers can't hide. Get a bunch of bait stations to circle around and under, and perhaps another collection of them circling the rig further out...such as along the nearest building or fence, etc...

Just as a comparison point, we pay $150/month for indoor, non-heated with 15A power. 

Couldn't be happier with that deal.

Edit:  NW Chicago 'burbs, by the way.

Most places around here charge $100/month for storage. The ones with fences help, but those are in the middle of nowhere also, so a single car at night sticks out like a sore thumb. $100/year gets me outdoor storage in town. But for that price, they can't afford to hire security 24/7, either. The police swing by every few hours, but they also have better things to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom