Outside carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Can't wait to camp

Hi Guys
My hubby and I purchased a new trailer and I am wanting to get a really big carpet for outside of it, but the carpets at the RV stores are really expensive. Where have you gotten yours? and rough price? I am wanting something that will be comfortable for our feet as I love to go bare foot :D

We picked up one of them 9 x 12 folding mats from Walmart or Camping World, can't remember which. It was about $40 if I recall. It's weatherproof, reversible, allows dirt and water to get threw it pretty easy so it dries fast and great for wiping off your feet. Have a look in the Rv section at Walmart. We rarely use it unless we are staying a couple days. For overnight stays we just use a small 4 x 8 outside the door.
The problem with a "really big carpet" you are asking about is that someone has to clean, fold and put that really big carpet away in a storage bin. They can be pretty heavy if they are wet also.

EBAY!! 20x9 reversable mat. Got it for 90 dollars

Bought one as Maverick described for $80 at the local RV store. Later, I saw it at Walmart for $60 except, at the time I was shopping, Walmart had one color and the RV store had four. The design is somewhat 'formal' and I passed it up a few times. It easily folds and stores in an oversized vinyl bag (about 14" x 3'). I travel single and hose it or fold it on the picnic table -- easy. However, you won't be barefootin' on this one if your patio is gravel! I've tried it.

I just picked up a piece of outdoor carpert at Lowes.  It works great and as I recall it was not that expensive. 

trooper253 said:
I just picked up a piece of outdoor carpert at Lowes.  It works great and as I recall it was not that expensive. 
Can you walk on it bare foot? and did you go with the expensive one or just a cheap one?
thank you

Both Lowes and Home Depot carry the same kind of indoor/outdoor carpet. It is on a roll and I believe is 12' wide, by however long you want it.  It will be much cheaper than the ones at the RV stores, but the one at the home stores are not hemmed.  Not a big deal, but they can ravel if you snag it on something.  Or you can hem it yourself, if you have the skills.

Pup said:
EBAY!! 20x9 reversable mat. Got it for 90 dollars
I got mine on Ebay as well.  I love it!  Very light weight.  Easy to clean and dry out.  I did the green outdoor carpet for a couple years and would never go back to it since I know how nice it is to have a real patio mat.  I recommend them to everyone I know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MMI-Reversible-Patio-Awning-Mat-8x16-Brown-Gold-RV-Camper-Trailer-/300794733627?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4608c3643b

Really want a trailer said:
Can you walk on it bare foot? and did you go with the expensive one or just a cheap one?
thank you

The only thing that might throw a wrench into the bare feet experience are rocks, if you throw the mat on top of any.

I have both a Prest-O-fit awning mat (lookes like artificial turf, or indoor/outdoor carpeting), as well as the plastic ones (like what you'll see at Walmart - looks like plastic "straws"all woven together). You'll feel the occasional rock underneath either one. Both are good. I find the Prest-O fit rug lies a lot smoother than the plastic ones. Really is just your preference! Depending on size, they're both about the same, price-wise.

If you're looking for cheap only, check out Craigs List. Likely the green turf ones at Lowes/Home Depot will be cheapest (but like another poster suggested, they do tend to fray at the edges).

Best of luck!

For years we've used a very large "Fake" grass carpet (astro-turf if you will).  We managed to wear the first one out and replaced it with another less expensive but lighter version a couple of years ago.  We've always avoided those patio mats simply because we didn't care for them, that's changed.

This past summer we purchased a 6x9 patio mat and we love it. In fact we loved it so much we just grabbed another one at Walmart online in the 9x12 size.

The "Fake" grass or carpets hold way too much dirt and they're a pain to store. You really don't want them rolled up and in one of your basements after being exposed to the dirt and bugs for any amount of time. The patio mats can be handled easily by one person and are easy to clean using a leaf blower or even a broom.  The only drawback that I found and it has nothing to do with it being a patio mat is that when trimming the grass around your rig with a riding lawn mower they DON'T like to be "mowed", it puts a VERY uneven fringe on them. :eek:

Next time I WILL listen to my wife when she offers to fold up the mat.

We bought our first large one (reversible & washable) at Quartzite!  It was half the price of the same ones they sell at Camping World.

Lowes and Home Depot sell indoor outdoor carpet by the running foot in either 6 or 12 for width.  They usually have a couple of colors available in stock..
  Much cheaper than the overpriced stuff at CW.  Only down side is it is not bound edges, but my last one lasted just fine for about 10 years of heavy use.

donn said:
Only down side is it is not bound edges, but my last one lasted just fine for about 10 years of heavy use.

Most places that sell and install carpet can put the edging on a piece of carpet for you for very few fun chips.

We bought one of the heavier duty 9 x 18' reversible mats from CW. Watch the ads or purchase onsite at events to get a better deal.
A word of caution when thinking about using carpet - they are extremely heavy when wet, and storing them can be a pain as you are stuck with a roll the length of the minimum dimension when transporting it. The mats fold up neatly into a block, store easily in a bay, and are very light - wet or dry, as they don't hold water. You can hold a folded up mat on the palm of your hand.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom