Oven insualtion, where does it go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGRV

So bought a used camper last year and didn't know mice made a grand hotel out of literally everything.. (behind radio, inside furnace etc. and now just found out (Wedgewood Vision oven)...finally took apart the oven to find the insulation was a mouse nest. Completely dismantled it, scrubbed with comet and replaced the insulation with 1 inch "Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket Wool High heat 2400F". Question is, I couldn't tell if the entire oven was covered between the inner and outer sheet metal? Do you leave the bottom uncovered etc. I wrapped the entire oven, top, sides and bottom (but not the back)...before putting back together, now thinking I didn't have to do the bottom and maybe even top because there are holes in it (maybe to vent?).. should I remove the insualtion i put top and on bottom? Thanks

Attachments

• 20220517_203124.jpg
    20220517_203124.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220517_203120.jpg
    20220517_203120.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 11
So bought a used camper last year and didn't know mice made a grand hotel out of literally everything.. (behind radio, inside furnace etc. and now just found out (Wedgewood Vision oven)...finally took apart the oven to find the insulation was a mouse nest. Completely dismantled it, scrubbed with comet and replaced the insulation with 1 inch "Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket Wool High heat 2400F". Question is, I couldn't tell if the entire oven was covered between the inner and outer sheet metal? Do you leave the bottom uncovered etc. I wrapped the entire oven, top, sides and bottom (but not the back)...before putting back together, now thinking I didn't have to do the bottom and maybe even top because there are holes in it (maybe to vent?).. should I remove the insualtion i put top and on bottom? Thanks
Been there, done that with a prior motorhome that was stored at a lot in the boonies. Checked on it one day after a period of non-use, saw a few 'droppings', and proceeded to investigate.; Found a nest in the oven made out of insulation. We didn't use the oven, so I just sterilized everything, but didn't try sealing everything up. The mouse never came back, and I figured it was a field mouse that needed somewhere to birth and raise a family.

BGRV,
I have had to have several stoves apart in my time, and all that had not been mouse raided had fiberglass or mineral wool in the five surfaces that were not a door. Mice had pulled a lot of the insulation out of some, but what I did find was not worth trying to get back in there. The theft was discovered when the wall near the oven started smoking. We got it shut down and saved the house. I was able to buy replacement material somewhere like Mcmaster- Carr or Grainger.
Matt

BGRV,
I have had to have several stoves apart in my time, and all that had not been mouse raided had fiberglass or mineral wool in the five surfaces that were not a door. Mice had pulled a lot of the insulation out of some, but what I did find was not worth trying to get back in there. The theft was discovered when the wall near the oven started smoking. We got it shut down and saved the house. I was able to buy replacement material somewhere like Mcmaster- Carr or Grainger.
Matt
Thanks. So do you remember, wad there insulation on each side, top and bottom of stove? Thanks

So bought a used camper last year and didn't know mice made a grand hotel out of literally everything.. (behind radio, inside furnace etc. and now just found out (Wedgewood Vision oven)...finally took apart the oven to find the insulation was a mouse nest. Completely dismantled it, scrubbed with comet and replaced the insulation with 1 inch "Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket Wool High heat 2400F". Question is, I couldn't tell if the entire oven was covered between the inner and outer sheet metal? Do you leave the bottom uncovered etc. I wrapped the entire oven, top, sides and bottom (but not the back)...before putting back together, now thinking I didn't have to do the bottom and maybe even top because there are holes in it (maybe to vent?).. should I remove the insulation i put top and on bottom?

Anyone have any thoughts? Do I insulate the top, bottom, left and right? Thanks
We are wanting to know the same. It does look like there was never insulation on the bottom of the stove though. Ours is a 1999 RV Wedgewood by Atwood stove.

Still don't know of any source for this kind of information except the Atwood Service Manual in the earlier post. It has lots of details but nothing that addresses these questions. Your guess is as good as ours...

Back
Top Bottom