Overcab leak repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larryr

It rained hard last week and I noticed some wetness on the pull out bunk over the cab in my'98 Fleetwood Tioga 29Z. Traced the leak to the incoming wiring from an old obsolete satellite dish base. I'd considered removing the base as it wasn't providing any good, but decided to leave it so as not to create new leaks. There is about a two foot wiring run over the roof membrane buried in sealant. Next time there's a good dry spell, I'm gonna open up the cable sealant path and might remove the base. There appears to be solid plywood under the membrane. I don't know what the membrane material is or how to minimize damage in the removal. I'll use this path to run cat cable for a bullet w-ifi adapter, coax for a vhf ham antenna, and 12 VDC utility line and potential solar panel wiring to a charge controller. After I get a look at the cable thru roof point, I'd like to put a small weather resistant box over the hole and use horizontal cable glands out of this box. Any reason not to do this as opposed to lots of dicor?

If it's painted metal... Stop by a sing shop and get a peace of vinyl that's larger than the base to keep on hand. It should cost around $20.00 or so. It's not the best patch, but will work. I removed an antenna from a car, put in a rubber plug, and covered it with sing vinyl. It was still good 5 years later when I sold the car. I carry a few chunks of vinyl for my jeep and my showhauler just in case. I know it will not work for everything.

found several layers of sealant above the rubber membrane. I want to try to cut out the buildup next to the cable path. Thinking of using an electric carving knife or scissors. The old satellite dish base was hard to remove. I couldn't see a way to get the cover off. I chopped it out with a sawzall. It turned out to be a winegard RD9900.
Any suggestions for preparing the area for dicor?

Attachments

• several layers.jpg
    several layers.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 5
  • base removed.jpg
    base removed.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom