Overflow Reservoir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyfrey

Greetings-
I have a '89 Itsaca built on a Chevy frame powered by a 454. My radiator overflow bottle is cracked. I repaired it but I don't have much confidence in it for the long term. I checked my owner's documentation but cannot find a part number for the bottle. Does anyone have an idea how I can identify the required part number?
Thanks in advance
Gary

I'm not sure it needs to be a special bottle. I recall replacing the overflow bottle on a prior motorhome with one from an automotive parts store. I just found one that was similar in size.

As Tom suggested you should be able to find a similar overflow bottle at the local autoparts store.  I doesn't have to be exactly like the one you currently have just about the same size and shape.  Good luck.

Thanks gents. Sounds like a good idea, guess I should probably get used to fabricating brackets anyways  ;)

There are basically two things about the overflow bottle that are "Special"  (3 in some cases)

1: Size and shape are custom for every car/truck, of course, you needent use the same shape, just have to re-bracket

2: It has to withstand tempertures of up to 220 degrees (F) (about 110 C)

3: It may have a bottom inlet/outlet, (To overcome this you need a bit of overflow hose and stick it through a hole in the cap)

The cap is vented (Small drill any one, say 3 1/8 inch holes) and usually a bit larger than a gallon jug, but other than that, most any 1-2 gallon bottle that can take the heat will work

On some of the newer chassis, the over-flow for the radiator is an integral part of the radiator system. On Ford V-10 chassis, the overflow is connected to the radiator by a hose from the bottom that is about 1" ID. There is a separate over-flow for that container and the radiator cap is on the over-flow container and it is pressurized. The whole thing is made of a very heavy plastic and it's loss would cause a loss of coolant due to lack of pressure. I am pretty sure that this one would have to come from Ford, with the attached outrageous pricing! I have wondered just how long this device will last, since I happen to own one?

Kirk said:
There is a separate over-flow for that container and the radiator cap is on the over-flow container and it is pressurized. The whole thing is made of a very heavy plastic and it's loss would cause a loss of coolant due to lack of pressure.

Haven't seen that Kirk, but I can understand why that would have to be a special tank. Definitely not the common automotive variety.

If you get a chance you should take a look. I am now wondering about the Workhorse? If they may do the same thing? On my Ford the tank probably holds at least a gallon. It has some type of pressure valve in the overflow line, which is separate and comes from it's own connection near the top. The line to the radiator goes to the bottom of the radiator, rather than the top as the old style recovery lines do and is much larger. There is no neck or cap on the radiator itself. The over-flow cap is a large, screw on, plastic pressure cap and it must be fairly common as you can get one at any parts store from after market suppliers. That makes me think that Ford may not be the only one using such a system. It would be interesting to hear if any other motorhomes have this same system?

I'll definitely look at mine next time I'm at the coach.

My response to the original question was based on our old Pace Arrow that merely had a non-pressurized recovery tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom