Overload spring v. air bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidsimmonds

I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel automatic four door RWD. I think I will have to have either overload springs or air bags installed. My hitch weight of my soon to arrive 5th wheel may put me slightly over the design cargo weight when combined with passengers, regular truck cargo, and fuel. Any recommendations regarding whether to use an overload spring similar to the one that the 3500 uses or to use air bags?

Be aware that adding the springs or air bags does not change your GVWR - the manufacturer's rating still applies.  The potential reasons for this are many, including tire ratings, driveline rating, etc.  The best solution would be to upgrade the rear axle to one with heavier springs and larger GAWR. That may not be all that expensive because some shops will give a trade-in on the old axle.

Either springs or airbags will help level up the back end if it sags a bit and the air bags have the advantage of being adjustable if you want to reduce the ride stiffness when the trailer is not hitched. Air bags with the remote control and onboard compressor are very convenient, since most people don't want to crawl underneth to adjust air pressure evey time they hitch/unhitch.

Beware since replacing axles or any other mods will not increase legally the GVWR .  The only Way to get the GVWR increased is with a letter from the manufacturer.  You may be able to increase the capability but if in an accident you could be open to serious liability issues if you are over the manufacturers stated Gross weight ratings no matter what mods have been accomplished.

When American Coach, at our request, increased the rear axle weight rating from 19,000 lbs to 20,000 lbs and GVWR from 31,000 to 32,000 lbs on the Eagle they had to go back to Spartan who in turn went to the axle manufacturer for authorization then Spartan issued a letter and new decal showing the new ratings.  In this case there were no modifications involved.  I'm sure it would be much more complicated to get the ratings increased modifications were required

Along with the caveats on the legality etc, I installed the Super Spring in my F350 to help.  I am not overlimit, just wanted to stiffen up the sway.  These were easy to install, and do not effect the regular driving.  I had air bags on the old truck, and routed thye fills to the fender wells.  Easy to inflate with a good bicycle pump.  Best way to go with these is a under bed mounted compressor with controls in the cab, but it added about $300. and I had the pump already.  After using it for 5 years and getting a new truck I was either going to add the compressor, but ultimately wewnt with the Super Spring.  Very happy with these. 

Back
Top Bottom