Overnight Stay Research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnr733

Anyone have an app preference or such on finding the best overnight stays without having to drive too far off the hwy?
I have a couple spots earmarked heading down 65 to Pensacola but always looking for options.

Dan

I don't use any one single tool, though when looking for cheap / free public campgrounds I tend to use ultimate campground guide. I also have a Passport America membership where I get 50% off (with limitations) at participating campgrounds, occasionally I have been lucky enough be in the right place at the right time to use it (cost is around $45 per year for membership without promo pricing, I think my last renewal was something like 5 years for $120 with promo). With the 50% discount most participating PPA parks work out around $16-$20 per night. Beyond this I also use google, etc.

Allstays Camp & RV is a decent app if you're on i-Things, and works well on the web browser. RVparky is another possible choice with Android and i-Thing apps plus a web site. Both have lots of good information and even have maps. Both also cover COE, BLM, state/city/Nat'l parks, commercial parks and more.

I'm with Isaac - I use several apps and Google. I was introduced to a new-to-me site this year and have used it successfully a few times this spring, while traveling the northeast. Faithful Parking

How many that use, or have used, Passport America feel it a good deal for campgrounds while traveling, like three-month adventures where you stay in a place from one to several nights while exploring with the toad? The research I've done shows a substantial savings for the way we travel and explore.

How many that use, or have used, Passport America feel it a good deal for campgrounds while traveling, like three-month adventures where you stay in a place from one to several nights while exploring with the toad? The research I've done shows a substantial savings for the way we travel and explore.
I used it and enjoyed it in 2013.

Last edited:
I used it and enjoyed it but beware, most parks only allow one nights stay with the discount.
While many parks do have some type of restriction on when they allow the discount (such as week days only or not on holidays or during high season), we have not often run into a one night restriction. We have booked 2-3 days many times and even full weeks at 50% off a few times. I would definitely not say MOST parks. We saved so much our first year with Passport America that we purchased a lifetime membership.

Edit to add: Parks that did have a limit of 3-4 days where we wanted to stay longer, would let us use other discounts for the remaining days- such as Good Sam, Military, etc

Vicki

While many parks do have some type of restriction on when they allow the discount (such as week days only or not on holidays or during high season), we have not often run into a one night restriction. We have booked 2-3 days many times and even full weeks at 50% off a few times. I would definitely not say MOST parks. We saved so much our first year with Passport America that we purchased a lifetime membership.

Edit to add: Parks that did have a limit of 3-4 days where we wanted to stay longer, would let us use other discounts for the remaining days- such as Good Sam, Military, etc

Vicki
I did a search and found out you are correct. Things have changed in the last eight years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom