Overtemp ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Any help on this guys ?

When we usually boondock, we get an "overtemp" warning on the Xantrex panel.

We can be running on the Inverter or the Generator to get the problem.

We asked 2 dealers to check the batteries (as I couldnt squeeze in to see them) and they stated the batteries were fine.

The coolant level in the generator is fine.

What could be causing the problem - any ideas please ?

Thanks
Paul

Well The best thing you could do is to call the customer support at Xantrex, unlike so many companies the phone will ring right here in the United States and be answered by someone with knowledge and power.  I mean in five minutes or less I had a RMA for my deffective Prosine 2.0 and tips on improving the re-install when it came in,  Good ones as it turns out

Second which temp is over, battery internal 1 or internal 2 or all 3

Finally, you mentioned the generator, what is the PHYSICAL relationship between the generator and th batteries and the inverter

For example of the kind of info I want here, On my rig the inverter and it's batteries (AGMs) are in the first storage compartment (Front most) passanger side,  The generator is in the 4th compartment on the driver's side  (which due to the entry door is the equivlent of the 3rd compartment on the passanger side)  So there is no physical relationship between them (Generator heat can not get to the Xantrex, engine heat can but it has to really, really work on it)

Beyond that I may have suggestions.

Paul, is that the E03 error?  We get it when the batteries are low (~50%) and the charger runs at the full 100A in warm to hot weather.  It's because the inverter/charger compartment isn't ventilated and the unit overheats.  After a few minutes it cools off and resumes charging.  It can also happen if the inverter is under a large load in warm temps as well.  It's not a generator problem and not a battery problem.  I just open the bay door where the inverter is located and that helps but doesn't stop the overheating completely.

One of the RV Techs that monitor the Newmar owners list on Yahoo has recommended that a ventilation system be added to the inverter bay.  It consists of a vent in the floor to allow cooler air to enter and an exhaust fan, a computer type muffin fan to force the air exchange.  This seems to help and has resolved the problem for many.  It can be a bit of a problem to implement in MHs other than newmar because of the location of the inverter in a bay with no access to an outside area.  In most Newmar MHs the inverter is next to the battery bay so this approach works well.

Good luck,

I have not ventilated my inverter compartment as any exposure to the outside would also allow a lot of dust to enter the compartment, and possibly negate any ventilation advantage, especially when it gets into the inverter.

I understand and neither have I but my problem is keeping thing warm.  VBG  It is fairly easy to add a good, electrostatic?, filter if the ventilation is really needed as in the SW deserts etc.

Since the problem only occurs for me when we're parked, I just open the bay door until the charger goes out of bulk mode.  That usually takes care of it.  Worst case, it takes a while longer to charge the batteries.  I don't have the problem with the inverter but it can also show an overheat error.

I have ventelated my Xantrex compartment, I have a 4" muffin fan I got for a buck at quartzsite (well 10 for 9.95) and a temperture switch. it exhausts ito the space between the compartments, and there is an automotive type air cleaner sammed up there.  It fits nice and tight, keeps dust and bugs from entering that way.

Directly behind the Xantrex's cooling fan is a open hole (air intake) and it too will very shortly have an air cleaner bolted up to it, (I got the bolts this evening on my way to church will install tomorrow God permitting (Meaning weather permitting)

So that route is also denied bugs and dust

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I will indeed give Xantrex a call tomorrow.

"...Second which temp is over, battery internal 1 or internal 2 or all 3..."

I haven't a clue - the xantrex panel (next to tv) just states "overtemp"

"...Finally, you mentioned the generator, what is the PHYSICAL relationship between the generator and th batteries and the inverter..."

The generator is at the front of RV and the inverter is 5 bays back, with 2 batteries in same bay and another 4 in next bay.

"...is that the E03 error..."

I havent a clue on that either - what does EO3 refer to Ned ?

"...I just open the bay door where the inverter is located..."

I guess I could do that in a CG, but we often have the inverter running on the road to power the laptop for CoPilot etc.

Now guys, dont take this the wrong way, but my feeling is that if Fleetwood have put the thing somewhere it gets too hot to do the job, then Fleetwood are the ones for resolving the problem.

I don't fancy adding (or more to the point PAYING to add) anything to the RV that shouldn't be causing a problem in the first place.

Paul

Paul,
I guess I could do that in a CG, but we often have the inverter running on the road to power the laptop for CoPilot etc.
Running the inverter on the road for nothing more than the laptop is barely over idle current for the inverter, and it shouldn't be generating much heat at all. The folks at Xantrex should be able to pinpoint the problem. One thing you can check is the cooling fan. Does it run and is it moving air out the back? Does the inverter shut down when you get that overtemp indication? Sounds like a false alarm indication.

Hi Karl

I will check that fan when we boondock tonight.

The overtemp light does come on and often will go off for a minute or two before returning.

We've had one instance of the inverter shutting down when the overtemp light was on, but only the one time.

Paul

Regarding an earlier suggestion to leave the bay open - we only ever get the warning when boondocking - Im not sure I like the idea of leaving the bay open when in WalMart etc.

The E03 error is what I get on my panel for a charger overheat condition.  I was assuming (my mistake) that you had the Link 1000 panel, obviously you don't.  I have never had an inverter overheat condition.  As Karl stated, check the fan, if it's failed that would definitely cause overheating problems.

We too usually get the overheating condition when boondocking as that's when the batteries get depleted and the charger runs in bulk mode (100A) for a longer time.  When on shore power, the batteries are continuously charged and the charger doesn't overheat.

If it's just running a laptop then I'd have to say the problem is either the mounting location.  Or, there is a problem in the xantrex itself

My xantrex had 4 errors, Prosine memory error (it lost it's mind) Hi Temp 1, High temp 2 and High battery temp, note, that it did not have a battery temp sensor cause I never got it to work

The new one has a temp sensor, it works, it displays the actual temp of the battery box and.... IT shows zero errors

Paul,
A new wrinkle:
Regarding an earlier suggestion to leave the bay open - we only ever get the warning when boondocking
You didn't mention that before - well, sort of :-\  If it's only when boondocking you should be able to run directly from the generator and shut off the inverter. If you keep the inverter on, chances are you're powering everything through the inverter, and that may be a heat overlaod condition for it. Suggest you try running directly from the genset with the inverter off, and see if you have the same problem. My guess is NOT. You made it sound like you were getting the overheat condition while travelling down the road, but it seems that's not the case.

Karl:

Our Freedom 2000 will overheat on warm days with the inverter off and just recharging batteries. As everyone has mentioned I believe it is no ventilation in the compartment. Once the temps dropped into the low eighties/high seventies  the problem disappears.

When on shore power or generator, the transfer switch in the inverter will pass the AC through and it won't make any difference if the inverter is on or off.

The charger and inverter functions are separately controlled.  You did say inverter, not charger :)  Of course, if you're boondocking the primary reason to run the generator is to charge the batteries.

Hi Guys

Here's a quick update on the Inverter overtemp problem.

We just went back to Decatur, Indiana for the missing Wind Sensor to be fitted to the A&E awning, together with a couple of other warranty items.

I mentioned the overtemp problem and they confirmed the fan wasn't working.

They (Sullivan RV acting for Fleetwood in Decatur) stated that the WHOLE INVERTER would have to be sent to Fleetwood and a new one sent out.

They explained that if we left it to a future dealer to fix, it would normally take 3 weeks for it to be returned and a replacement sent.

As Fleetwood are a 1/2 mile from Sullivans, they managed to get a new Inverter overnight and it was fitted within the hour.

LOL - the way we are going, we will have just about every part of the RV replaced with new bits by the time we head home.? ;D

I'm sure Fleetwood must have lost money on our RV by now.

Paul

Note : Any Fleetwood owners may be interested to know the Customer Service team has now moved to Decatur from California. It was certainly convenient to visit their office today to talk over a few outstanding issues we have. Despite now having 22,000 miles on the RV, they have agreed we can "save" all our remaining warranty items until we get down to Florida in January. They even stated we could advise them of future issues and they could also be looked at in January.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom