Owners Manual Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MariahAZ

Hi everyone,
First and foremost I am so glad to have found this forum, except I am exhausted this a/m from all the advice etc. I found here last night. ?Let me explain. ?We are planning shortly on joining the family of RVers, made an offer on a used Class A yesterday, were shocked when they accepted, we haven't signed a contract as we wanted to sleep on it. (I ?did receive a Carfax report so we have researched quite a bit) I do have a question that I thought maybe someone could help me with. ?The Dutch Star Motor Home does not have manual one, zip, nada. ?Beyond the Newmar factory does anyone have a suggestion where I might find one. ?I searched the internet for hours last night using Google and I found nothing. ?I would appreciate ANY suggestions all of you might have. ?Since we are new RVers I can't imagine not having manuals. ?

Hi Mariah,

Most of the appliances used in an RV are the same no matter who manufactures the coach. You can probably get most of what you need by contacting each manufacturer of whatever appliance you have. It will be time consuming but not impossible. Other than that just ask your questions here and I'm sure someone will know the answer. Newmar should be able to supply info pertinent to the coach itself.

There won't be an owners manual in the sense that a car has one.  An RV is a collection of systems from various manufacturers and what you typically get is a case full of dozens of manuals, e.g. refirgerator, stove, water heater, water pump, chassis/engine, a/c, TVs, VCR, antennas, etc. etc. etc.  There will be a "Dutch Star" manual too, that covers some of the things that tie all the pieces together.

As Jim suggests, you can usually get manuals for all the major applinaces online from the manufacturers (Dometic, Atwood, Suburban, etc) or at a campground by simply making photo copies of those of a fellow RVer.  For most things there are only a couple manufacturers and a manual will cover several models, so it is usually easy to find someone with a manual that covers your particular model of appliance or component.

If you are buying from a dealer, insist that they show you how to operate EVERYTHING and take the time to be sure you understand.  Chances are they will try to breeze quickly through the walkthrough, but don't let them rush.

Mariah,

Welcome to the RV Forum!

Try using  THIS FORM   to submit a request to Newmar for an owner's manual for your coach.? As Gary and Jim have alluded to, don't expect much, but you may get an overview of your coach from them.? Specifically you would want to get a manual for your engine from either Cummins or Caterpillar, perhaps one for the transmission from Allison then you may find most of what you need on the appliances and accesories on the respective manufacturer sites.

Of course if you post your query here, chances are you'll get some good advice.

Please tell us the year of your Dutch Star and we amy be able to give you some tips on things to check immediately.

I am thinking of specific service issues for your engine, transmission, filter questions, coolant? and tires.? These are things that need to be checked before you take delivery.

Can the current owner provide you with any service maintenance records?

Mariah,

>>The Dutch Star Motor Home does not have manual one, zip, nada.  Beyond the Newmar factory does anyone have a suggestion where I might find one.<<

There are a number of Newmar owners here, myself included.  What year is your MH and which model.  While you are waiting for a manual, if you can get one, ask and we will ry to answer your questions.

Also there are 3 Newmar related forums on Yahoo, "newmarowners", newmar-dp-owners", and a Newmar gas MH one, I don't know the correct name of this one.  Lots of help IF you can filter out the noise.  VBG

Also where are you located as there may be a Newmar owner near you that would be willing to help with informatione etc.

There is also a Newmar owners club that holds rallies from time to time.  There will be one in AZ at Quartzite about the middle of January.

Good Luck and enjoy the MH,

Thanks all for the suggestions and advise.  The dealer is putting together all the appliance brochures etc, and they have contacted Newmar who is sending the info they can.  By the way the Dutch Star is a 95 which we couldn't resist because of features we had been looking for, and the excellent condition.  We didn't want to invest a fortune not knowing if we'd like RVing.  At the time of delivery we have a two hour appointment set up to meet with the technician to go over everything.  I will follow the suggestions that all of you have given.

That is excellent that the dealer is collecting the manuals for you.  Double check to see that he doesn't miss any.

2 hours is not near long enough for a walk through.  If you're not already familiar with all of the typical RV systems, it can take more than one day to go through them all.

It is a bit generic, however there is an "All Purpose" RV Owner's manual published by Woodalls,  You may find it at Camping World (I don't know if I got mine there or elsewhere)  Since it's not specific to any one RV it can not possibly cover everything, but it does cover some stuff a whole lot better than the bag of books that came with my Damon.  Covers roof maintance, exterior maintance, General maintance of steps (Kwick step electric specific) hot water heaters (two different makes are specifically covered) refrigerators, plumbing, LP distribution and more

Generally does not cover electronics such as Television, Radio and the like,  For sure does not cover internet/LAN issues :), but explains a lot of stuff rather well.

Even if you have a full "Factory set" I would recommend this book or another like it (if there is another like it)

Ned,

I agree two hours is not enough time but I only get 1 1/2 hours to do my orientations. :) I do go over if the customer does not seem to be getting it or if they have a lot of questions. We just get one of the techs to do the next orientation.

Jim,

How much time would you feel is needed for a first time diesel motor home (like their DS) owner?

Ned said:
Jim,

How much time would you feel is needed for a first time diesel motor home (like their DS) owner?

Ned,

I feel it really depends upon the individuals. For a first time owner of an RV ,and being a DP on top of it, it might take 2-3 hours to go over everything. Usually all that information given at once just doesn't sink in. I had one couple that bought a Road Trek. They came back two more times to have orientations and he even took notes! :) Obviously this was really foreign to any prior experience he might have had and it was difficult to absorb. Frankly I have no problem with giving extra orientations if the individual really needs it. The owner doesn't necessarily feel the same way.

What would be nice is the ability to take a couple of "new owners" on a short trip to a campground and let them try everything with supervision. Sure would catch on a lot faster by doing and someone could keep them from making any big mistakes. :) Of course you'll never find a dealer that will let that happen.

The best thing a new owner can do to help with the understanding is ask a LOT of questions and take a LOT of notes. I've also had some customers who video taped the orientation. Then they can go back home and review what was demonstrated. I think that might really be helpful from a learning and safety standpoint when being familiarized with the hooking up of a travel trailer. Make the wrong mistake there and you can get seriously hurt.

We had a thoroughly inadequate walkthrough from the salesman when we bought the Endeavor, our first DP, and have spent the past 8+ years learning about it.  It would take 2 hours just to show where all the important systems and features are, let alone how to use them.  And you're right that it can't be done in one session.  There is just too much to learn.

Maybe there's a business opportunity in there someplace ;)

My dealer did about two hours of walk through when I took delivery.  It was my first RV, but I had been working on similar systems on my boats for years. Still, there was no way I was going to remember all that stuff so I taped (audio) it.  After about six months I reviewed the tape and found quite a few things I still hadn't remembered or found on my own.

Ned said:
Maybe there's a business opportunity in there someplace ;)

Now there's a thought. Kind of like a driving school! ;D

My first walk through on the gas Bounder was all of 15 minutes. I was more confused when I left than before I got there!  It wasn't long after that I was asked to do orientations part time. I told the owner it would take at least an hour to go through everything. They have now increased it to 1 1/2 hours. They never say much if I take longer which is good. :)

Hi Robert,

Audio or video are both good ways of keeping the orientation available when needed, usually a few weeks later. :)

We had a short walk through when we bought our Damon as well, However I've been back to ask a couple of specific quesions, I've read every owner's manual at least twice (and had read the Intruder (Damon) manual at least twice before the walk through) and I have read the Woodall's generic book at least twice, it's the best of the lot on a lot of stuff explaining things that were not even mentioned by the other sources  IE: Roof manitnace

I may still return to the dealer this fall for winterization and have them walk me through it.. Not sure yet (I may have you folks walk me through it, though I think I got the plan down,,, Just one tough question re a macerating toilet it has) but I think I can figure that out (may take a couple of extra gallons of RV antifreeze but I'll figure it out)

I've been over the RV a few dozen times too locating many things  (Heck, I even know where a roof-top satalite is supposed to plug in)

There is a lot to learn... Thankfully we have been trailering for some time and thus have a few of the basics down

When we bought our first motorhome a used 88 gas Bounder the dealer gave us a good walk through but at the end made the comment that we would have questions later and that they would be very happy to go over everything again if necessary.  We were living near Montreal at the time and part of our deal was that we could leave the coach on the dealers property in Burlington Vermont when not being used.  Gave us good access to the dealer whenever we had any questions.  The Walkthrough on the 93 Bounder diesel was vey good too and the same deal continued in force till we moved to Houston.  Ken Ware from Lazy Days did the walk through when we took delivery of the Eagle at a pre-rally to the FMCA convention.  Ken checked with us a couple times during the FMCA  convention to see if we had any questions.

Guess we were lucky as I felt we had very good walk throughs AND followups with all three coaches.

Back
Top Bottom