Oxygenics install question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

I am installing an Oxygenics shower head in my trailer. When I removed the old showhead I found that the fitting had a small opening to allow water thru - pic attached. Is this the usual fitting found in RVs?  I?m assuming it?s for reducing water usage. But if the shower head is already reducing the water then this seems redundant. I don?t think it can be removed but not sure. Has anyone else seen this on their shower?

Attachments

• 4E13B15A-053B-4AF3-A34E-19046CC17735.jpeg
    4E13B15A-053B-4AF3-A34E-19046CC17735.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 55
Debra17 said:
I am installing an Oxygenics shower head in my trailer. When I removed the old showhead I found that the fitting had a small opening to allow water thru - pic attached. Is this the usual fitting found in RVs?  I?m assuming it?s for reducing water usage. But if the shower head is already reducing the water then this seems redundant. I don?t think it can be removed but not sure. Has anyone else seen this on their shower?
Debra17
That device on your RV faucet is a vacuum breaker to prevent the contamination of the municiple, (or the campgrpound), fresh water system, see: https://www.etrailer.com/question-186757.

The fitting is indeed a flow restricter. Install the new shower head and if the flow is not what you want then remove the flow restricter.

Thanks Mel and Tom. I?ll go ahead with the install. I have found the pressure in the shower is good when on water pump but is low when connected to CG water supply. I use a water pressure reducer when connected. I?ve been wondering if it is reducing too much. It doesn?t have a gauge. If the new shower has low flow I may remove the water pressure device and see if that makes a difference.

If you are using the Camco water pressure reducer or a similar item it is no more than another pin hole for your water to go through. It is not a true pressure regulator. 

If you have a concern about high water pressure get a real pressure regulator, otherwise remove what you are using and drill out the hole in the shower pipe. You will see a marked difference in water flow.

It is the Camco that I?m using. I?m going to take it off. I don?t know if I should be worried about high water pressure or not. When I have used a hose when I?m on hookups I haven?t noticed exceptionally high pressure. I only have hookups about 15% of the time.

That camco thing is trash. It only reduces pressure when water is flowing and that is not when you need it. A good adjustable regulator can cost from $30 to $150 and will not let your pipes over pressure.

I personally never used one as very few campgrounds I have been to have high water pressure.

If people are using a adjustable waster pressure regulator it would be similar to this one. The CG I stay at in FL, the pressure is about 100 PSI. I keep mine adjusted to 60 PSI.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40058-Adjustable-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B01N9QUEYZ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1538257268&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=rv+water+pressure+regulator+with+gauge

Yup that is a combination vacuum breaker and backflow preventer.  There should be a rubber disc on top of it. this disc is a 2 way flapper valve.  Hopefully it WILL pass enough water for a decent shower. Mine did before it failed and I replaced it.. Then I figured out how to fix it for less but by that time I'd already replaced it. New assembly does same job but in a different way. Works great though.

OK I removed the Camco gadget and the water pressure was greatly improved. The existing shower had much more flow. The only thing on top of the vacuum breaker was a rubber washer. No flapper. I am original owner so it apparently wasn?t installed at factory.

I installed the Oxygenics. It had excellent flow. I only turned the water on about 1/3. So that?s good. I used the existing holder. It positions the shower head so the water comes out almost straight towards back of shower.

The holder that was supplied with the Oxy would allow adjustment but of course the mounting holes are not the same distance apart as the existing. I could use one existing screw hole and drill one new hole. I guess I would fill the one existing hole with some type of caulk. Should it be silicone?  The shower wall is some type of plastic.

I bought a new shower head from Amazon and it requires no drilling or wall mounting. It attaches to the pipe coming out of the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2DFZD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SeilerBird said:
I bought a new shower head from Amazon and it requires no drilling or wall mounting. It attaches to the pipe coming out of the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2DFZD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks nice. I have the type with a hose that attaches to a fitting on top of the faucet. No pipe coming out of wall so guess that wouldn?t work for me.

captsteve said:
Silicone will work or you can get some color matching tub and shower caulk from the hardware store.

The shower is white so I can use white silicone. It will be covered by the new holder.

Rene T said:
If people are using a adjustable waster pressure regulator it would be similar to this one. The CG I stay at in FL, the pressure is about 100 PSI. I keep mine adjusted to 60 PSI.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40058-Adjustable-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B01N9QUEYZ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1538257268&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=rv+water+pressure+regulator+with+gauge

Thanks for that link. I saved it to my wish list. I haven?t decided if I will purchase one since I only occasionally have hookups. That one is pretty reasonable though so may be worth getting.

The Rubber "washer" is the flapper it seals the water port if the water is off (or trying to suck water back) and an air port if water is flowing properly. Or so it is supposed to. Two holes one to air. Or at least that is how it is supposed to be designed. Can't say for sure yours is.

What was in there is a standard black rubber hose washer. No flapper.

This morning I?ve been debating if I?m going to keep the Oxygenics. I am not real crazy about the way it sprays. I prefer more of a softer shower pattern instead of the harder jet spray the Oxy has. I need to decide before I drill a hole for the Oxy holder. Once I removed the Camco water pressure gadget the existing shower had a good flow. So I might put it back on.

If you don't like it take it back and get one that has adjustable patterns or as you said, if you like what you have, stick with it...

Back
Top Bottom