ozidation removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvnamvet

fibergalss skin
best product for removal without a lot of elbow grease or buffer pad
:-\

The ONLY way I know of is elbow grease and barkeepers friend. :(....I hired one of my out-of-work friends, I also have a nephew that owes me money. ;D

Color restorer requires some rubbing but I used to do it by hand, usually a two-day job.

It depends on how bad the oxidation is, but one way or the other it takes rubbing with an abrasive compound. There are products for boats that are good for oxidation removal and Maguire's also has several oxidation removal products for marine and vehicle use. Here is one complete set for a job.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Marine-Fiberglass-Restoration-System/dp/B0000AY4YT

ProtectAll, the RV polish people, have one too:
http://www.protectall.com/fblong.aspx

Agree with Bar Keepers Friend and some grease of the elbow.  You might consider Zep Wet Look.  The results are fantastic, but there is no UV protection.  If you do try it, make SURE that the surface is rinsed well. 

Used Poliglow for years on a dark blue fibreglass boat hull. One thing to keep in mind, you have to remove ALL the oxidation before applying (lots of elbow grease required), otherwise you will get a yellow or white staining underneath that looks like heck. Same goes for the old Polyglow each year....

Alfa38User said:
Used Poliglow for years on a dark blue fibreglass boat hull. One thing to keep in mind, you have to remove ALL the oxidation before applying (lots of elbow grease required), otherwise you will get a yellow or white staining underneath that looks like heck. Same goes for the old Polyglow each year....
Thanks for the heads-up. They were pretty straight forward about that in their demo video. The oxidation on my coach isn't bad. The luster is just gone, especially on that drab green color that Winnebago uses.

I saw a coach that was refinished with this stuff that was for sale. It looked pretty darn good (from 6'  ;)).

I have been using the Meguiars kit that Gary mentioned with good results ... they all take lots of elbow grease.  I also use a low speed buffer from Harbor Freight where I can. 

Howard

Howard R said:
I have been using the Meguiars kit that Gary mentioned with good results ... they all take lots of elbow grease.  I also use a low speed buffer from Harbor Freight where I can. 

Howard
I'm too darn old to work that hard (good ol' Uncle Arthur Ritus) and I was quoted $800 (2-guys, 8 hours + materials) to do the 3-step process on my coach. He also told me that it should be waxed twice a year after that @ $300 + materials.

I think that I can do one panel at a time with Poliglow and it has a $ back guarantee (I'll believe that when I see it)..... If the 1st panel doesn't come out the way that I want, I'll return it and go with the 3-stage compound/polish/wax job or spend $4K and have the entire coach masked, sanded and clear-coated. I just hate to spend that kinda $ on the appearance when I really need to spend it on tires in a couple years.

Wayne:

Doing it yourself in stages will always gave you an excuse to get out of whatever your wife has planned.  :D

I couldn't remember the brand restorer I used in my first post but it was Starbrite which is popular in the marine industry for hulls.

When I get it, I'll post a video on youtube of my attempt at the 1st panel........ ignore the giggling in the background...... that would be my lovely bride  ;D..... the groaning..... that'd be me..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom