PAC brake usage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buicklee

I am not especially new to this forum as I have been kibitzing for some time and have gained a lot of knowledge I didn't even know that I needed, but something has been bothering me and I thought I would see if I could get some suggestions or answers from some of you folks who are so knowledgeable about this stuff.

Our previous MH was a 1996 Beaver Monterey with a PAC brake that would not engage with the cruise control turned on and the PAC brake turned on.  Our current MH is a 2005 Bounder 38N diesel whose PAC brake will engage (with the PAC brake on and the cruise control turned on, but disengaged via braking).  My concern is am I doing any damage to either unit by leaving the PAC brake on all of the time since it is convenient to always have it there for additional braking.

Thanks for any information that you may provide. :)

You can leave the Pac brake on if you wish.  It will not do any harm.

You just might brake when it is unnecessary, when the cruise backs off on the throttle.  You can probably have the ECN re-programmed so that the PAC is disengaged when the Cruise is active. I'm rather surprised yours was not installed that way to begin with.

Anyone else have a 2004-2005 Fleetwood DP with an exhaust brake? How does yours work with Cruise? My American tradition auto-disengages when Cruise is on, but I have a Jacobs engine brake that is integrated with the Cummins ISL rather than an external PAC-type brake.

I haven't had a chance to try the exhaust brake in the mountains yet on my bounder but I know that the exhaust brake I had on my Chevrolet 4500 RV tow vehicle woul engage when it went over the cruise control set speed. I leave my exhaust brake on all the time, you just have to learn to feather the accelerator so it doesn't engage when you don't want it to. Personally I think exhaust brakes are the greatest thing going. Sure saves the service brakes if used right.

The problem I find with the Pac brake engaged all the time, is the transmission will also downshift when not necessary for a minor grade. So I only use it manually when needed.>>>Dan

Dan, that is correct but if you keep the accelerator feathered slightly, otherwise don't let it close the throttle closed switch you will keep it from engaging. I love the exhaust brake on all the time but the key is your preference.

If you have the Allson Transmission, it can be programmed for what is called "latch mode".  This allows the exhaust brake to be on all the time but will not engage unless the brake pedal is tapped or applied.  An alternative to reprogramming is the "BrakeSwitch" advertised in several RV magazines and especially the Freightliner Club magazine.  It does the same thing for about $75 if installed yourself vs the reprogramming which usually costs about $200.  One other thing, you do have to resume the cruise control after braking.  Due to the logistics and estimated cost at a site over 100 miles away, I have the BrakeSwitch.  My driver, my wife, loves it!!

I recommend you go one way or the other as ether is a great improvement in driveability in my opinion and yes, Jerry Ray, I am allowed to drive once in a while!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom