PacBrake foot switch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamper Dave

PacBrake foot switch.
We installed a PacBrake on the2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 and it works great. Often while we are picking up speed heading down hill I will reach down and flip the switch to activate the PacBrake. No problem, I might leave it on or turn it off at the bottom of the hill.
SO, I noticed that PacBrake offers a foot switch. Now that would really be convenient!  I called to order the foot switch but was told that it is only for RV?s not pickup trucks.  I tried to get an explanation but got nowhere.
I cannot think of any reason why you can?t parallel the existing dashboard toggle switch with an instantaneous contact, spring loaded foot switch. E-Bay here I come.
Mopar, can you think of why this would work?
Thank you in advance??????? Kamper Dave

You can probably find a dimmer switch for an older car at an autoparts store that you could easily use.

If you're using a stick shift instead of an automatic I'll give you another idea.  Some of the older trucks I drive (mainly logging trucks) have the jake contol switch mounted to the shifter.  On my personal truck I mounted a simple toggle switch to the shifter to control my exhaust brake and I love it.  Of course if you're driving a automatic this isn't of any benefit.

I used a floor switch on a 1999 F250 we had many years ago. It wasn't a PAC-brand exhaust brake, though.

I don't see any reason you could add a suitable floor switch, either in lieu of or in parallel with the toggle switch. Just make sure it is a continuous duty type switch. Some push and hold switches are designed to be momentary use only, e.g. a horn button. Foto-n-t's suggestion of an old headlight dimmer switch is a good one, but you can probably find something similar in a NAPA parts catalog.

On the Windsor they used a dimmer type foot switch. The Camelot came with only the dash on/off switch but I put in a foot switch in parallel with the dash switch. The foot switch is from Cummins. It is more like a small pedal and I could see a space issue in a pickup. Maybe PacBrake's has the same issue of perhaps being too large.

But no reason you couldn't use an old dimmer type floor switch - if they are still available.

ken

I assume your a Automatic Trans?  ???

Like myself I got my switch on my transmission stick (manual 5 speed). So with a flip of the thumb I got exhaust brake.

I'm sure there is may other options you can rig up for yourself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom