Packing Clothes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb

Click Here To See Where I Am http://map.datastormu
With retirement less that 3 months away, it's time to think about heading west. Hoping to spend some time in Tucson, and Yuma.  Since we camp all year round we are prepared with sweatshirts and jackets, and stuff like there.....

My question is will be need anything dressier than dress casual?  Do I need to pack a jacket or suit for Frank?

Trying to Prepare for an Adventure
Barb

Barb

When we took our 14 weeks maiden voyage in our coach I packed all kinds of clothes in the drawers, closets and plastic bins in the storage bays. I was prepared for anything from swimsuit to a suit and tie. Never wore anything but casual clothes.

Barb,
Everywhere you go is pretty casual dress in Arizona.  That's one of the things I like about it.  We camped at Catalina State park in north Tucson a week ago on our first trip with the new trailer.  It is a state park with electrical and water hook ups.  It was a good place to evaluate the new trailer's air conditioner with daytime temperatures in the 100s.  Everything on the trailer worked well.  We were happy that it rained hard one night so we could check for leaks.  No leaks but we had forgotten that we drove through a dry wash between the park entrance and the campground.  When we pulled out of the campground the next morning, we turned the corner and saw a muddy river where it had been dry the day before.  We went back to the campground and waited an extra day for the wash to dry out and for the rangers to plow out several feet of silt that got deposited over the road through the wash.  So if you go to Tucson, watch out for those dry washes too.
Jake

Barb said:
My question is will be need anything dressier than dress casual?? Do I need to pack a jacket or suit for Frank?Trying to Prepare for an Adventure Barb

It's a tough call.  I have packed  a jacket and tie on board for Terry to wear "Just in case." It has not been out of the garmet bag since we went full time over 2 years ago.  We do have occasions when we go out to dinner and I want him to look nice so he has a  leather jacket he can wear with a  shirt and his denims.  It is coolish in the  AZ winter evenings. I have several of dressy (Pant type outfits, no dresses)  things on board which almost never get worn but once in Las Vegas I was glad to have had a "dressy" outfit to wear to see a show.  Others around were wearing t shirts and having just as good a time as I was having .  I've learned that fabric type is  a more important consideration.  I want things to be washable and as non wrinkle as possible .  Go for the comfort!  As I recall the past several rallies, I cannot think of one single outfit anyone was wearing (sorry gals) !  I guess who we see and what we do and where we go have become more important than what we wear. Be comfortable and you'll be fine.  AND if you find you need anything, they have stores all over the USA!  :)o

Betty Brewer

Barb said:
With retirement less that 3 months away, it's time to think about heading west. Hoping to spend some time in Tucson, and Yuma.? Since we camp all year round we are prepared with sweatshirts and jackets, and stuff like there.....

My question is will be need anything dressier than dress casual?? Do I need to pack a jacket or suit for Frank?

Trying to Prepare for an Adventure
Barb

Keep it casual.  NO TIES, SPORTS COATS or such.  Everything we go to is casual.  Lets see I have blues jeans or Blue jeans to choose from unless I am going to church then I wear black jeans.  Western shirts is really dressy for me.  Might say we wear jeans and tee shirts most of the time.  If we are going out and I really want to dress up I wear my best western boots with my blue jeans and western shirt.  No Tom I don't wear the boots with the lights in them anymore.

We are looking forward to seeing you guys in Az this year.  Will you be able to make the QZ rally?

Barb said:
With retirement less that 3 months away, it's time to think about heading west. Hoping to spend some time in Tucson, and Yuma.? Since we camp all year round we are prepared with sweatshirts and jackets, and stuff like there.....

My question is will be need anything dressier than dress casual?? Do I need to pack a jacket or suit for Frank?

Since you are talking the West, the dressiest Frank needs to get is a blue blazer of some sort and khaki Dockers.  That'll do him for fancy restaurants, church going, weddings, and funerals.  If he wears a suit, he is liable to scare folks.  Think he is a lawyer.  ;D

Youforgot the red hat that all the ladies have Betty.

Well, I'm not retired yet, and have a few years to go yet, but my thoughts on the whole thing...retired, or just out seeing the US.  Be comfortable.  You've done all the dressing up you need to do to get to where you are today.  Relax.  Enjoy it.  If someplace requires a coat and tie, there are probably 10 that don't!  But if you must, and you are comfortable (yikes!) in a coat and tie, go for it.  When I get there, my coats and ties are all going on the nearest bonfire.

Part time I pack "Comfortable" and "Decent" (Might also be called business casual) this is what I would wear to say a 3 or 4 star restaurant, I might feel a bit unforcomtable in a 5 star, it's ok for church.

When I full time I will pack one wool suit,  (5 star dress) because I expect to go ot the occasional semi-formal occasion such as weddings or funerals.  Full formal occasions, of which I expect to attend excacly one more before I die... I'll rent a tux

Alas one small problem with being 50+ is you tend to have to go to funerals more and more

The RV and mobile home park where I wintered the last three years has a New Year's Eve dance that's formal.  We all look down at our shorts and tshirts and cross the dance of our to-do lists.  I'm told the sock hop later on is more fun anyway.

I think whether to take a dressy outfit apiece depends partly on how much you like to dress up and partly on whether you have room to store them.  Be careful, though.  The west has restaurants that cheerfully do not permit dressing up.  I'm sure that one in Tucson that cuts off ties isn't the only one with such a practice.

You'll probably find that you have to make a point of dressing up to get any use out of the nice clothes.

--pat

Back
Top Bottom