Painting our interior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwglide

We JUST got our first RV and are super excited to get out there! It's a 2015 so we're thinking about sprucing up the interior w some paint. Are there any reasons not to?

How about a good cleaning first, then take another look. Most internal painting I've seen looks very unprofessional.. If you have a lot of wood,(the real thing ) wipe it down well with lemon oil and watch it brighten up to a new look..>>>Dan

It's your house, dress it up inside as you desire. Keep in mind, the next owner will probably want the stock paneling, so personally I'd proceed with caution.

Are there any reasons not to?
First thing that came to mind was paint smell/fumes, in a small area.
Do you have any pictures of the spot you want to paint?

2015 year. Can't think of anything to paint over except the ceiling and water leak stains.

So, what do you want to cover up?

To sum this up for you, unlike a house any paint will be assumed to be covering hidden damage in an RV. It will likely hurt your resale value. Also your choice of colors could limit the number of buyers. You can change out the flooring, curtains, or backsplashes if they done tastefully.

There is no technical reason you cannot suit your own tastes. The effect on resale is a more difficult call, since such mods too often look amateurish and your color choices may be outside of the buyer mainstream. Whether that is a factor, and how much, is something we can't answer for you. I've seen some examples of beautiful redecorating, and others that are better left unviewed.

If you decide to paint, educate yourself about the type of surface and the necessary prep work for it. RV interiors are often paper or vinyl covered composite panels and a quality job of refinishing those takes more than a quick coat of Walmart paint. Careful deglossing and a coat of primer are near-always needed, and you probably will want a washable paint such as would be used in kitchen or bath (not the flat or eggshell common in houses). RVs are subject to higher humidity and wider temperature ranges than most site-built homes.

There is no technical reason you cannot suit your own tastes. The effect on resale is a more difficult call, since such mods too often look amateurish and your color choices may be outside of the buyer mainstream. Whether that is a factor, and how much, is something we can't answer for you. I've seen some examples of beautiful redecorating, and others that are better left unviewed.

If you decide to paint, educate yourself about the type of surface and the necessary prep work for it. RV interiors are often paper or vinyl covered composite panels and a quality job of refinishing those takes more than a quick coat of Walmart paint. Careful deglossing and a coat of primer are near-always needed, and you probably will want a washable paint such as would be used in kitchen or bath (not the flat or eggshell common in houses). RVs are subject to higher humidity and wider temperature ranges than most site-built homes.
Thanks for the input Gary--and others.. we've painted cabinets before, but just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something 'special' about the RV--which you've pointed out Gar.. We hired professionals--we're painting the whole interior--so from the tans/brown family to the 'shades of gray' that my dear wife is so very fond of and that we had in our house that we just sold :) We cleaned the cabinets thoroughly and they used a high quality primer, and paint.. it's quite a remarkable change--so brightened up and fresh!

First thing that came to mind was paint smell/fumes, in a small area.
Do you have any pictures of the spot you want to paint?

2015 year. Can't think of anything to paint over except the ceiling and water leak stains.

So, what do you want to cover up?
no spots or imperfections--we just wanted to do a complete 'update' w the colors..

Painting unless it's a lot older will distrace from resale value.
If you really want to paint it's a 3 step process. Wash with TSP, prime with Kilz primer, then paint. When your done the paint is monotone vs the wall board which is multi colored, so to me the walls become bla

It was almost an instant no when I first saw the Travel Supreme. For me, there is so much going on with the matchy-matchy pattern on the walls, the valances, the couch, the bedspread, I was almost dizzy. But everything else was what we wanted so I realized I could make changes. There will be painting going on.
I don't make my remodel/decorating decisions based what someone else might want, possible resale, either in the house or the motorhome. I make them for what we want. If they do get sold, the potential buyer will either realize they can change things or will miss out.
I agree with you, I don't like bla either! I'm looking forward to blinging it up. (Not alot of bling, I do have some boundaries. DH won't go for alot of sequins & glitter.)

Back
Top Bottom