Painting The Shower Floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi, my shower insert is turning yellow on the bottom, i do remove the mat after every shower but it still gets yellow.  I have tried bleach and no good, i assume i need to repaint it, so what can i paint it with to turn it white again?

What kind of material are they made from, vinyl or plastic?

I've been considering doing is on my stick home.  After much research, NO WAY will I do it.  Everyone regrets it.

The problem with asking lowes is that every time i even mention RV the first thing out of their mouth is "we dont sell RV stuff".  Even when its the same product that exists in a normal home they wont even let you finish your sentence.  I wanted some 12V lights one time and they had them.  I had some questions and thats what happened, as soon as i said RV in mid sentence the guy said "we dont sell RV stuff" and walked away.  I got the lights and they worked perfect but i was on my own as far as shopping.

the only coating I'd use for that is 2 part epoxy with a good respirator and good ventilation. I'd use a short nap narrow roller and a good paint brush for the corners. A latex paint won't last neither will enamels. If you could spray it, that would give you the best looking finish but, that would be lots of taping off/prep work. The floor pan will really need to be cleaned of all residue and scuffed up good.

Seems like a job for a professional which i cant afford.  Maybe there is a pan insert i can use and just caulk it in place.  Or just get a new mat and cut it to fit and cover it up.

Someone here said i should look at either boat paint or pool paint, nothing guarenteed but worth some investigation.  They said the most important thing is to get the surface "perfectly" clean.

you might try this, its 2 part so it should be durable  https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7860519-Refinishing-2-Part-White/dp/B000PTSBKW/ref=asc_df_B000PTSBKW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167155426463&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16058992306965578825&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021614&hvtargid=pla-309379953833&psc=1

I used Plasti-coat on my older 5ver......lasted over 3 years beofre I got a new unit.

The shower bases I have seen are all plastic. In the past, I have used PlastiKote on autos and garden tractors. It held up very well. Krylon Fusion may work in this situation as well. As stated before, getting everything perfectly clean is key

Thanks for the info ill look at all options.  I have to limit myself to 1 project a month so this will be the project for sept or oct.  In august i am adding a new external outlet to the trailer on a separate circut just for the computer.

Randall and Monica said:
I used spray "Flex Seal" on a shower stall in an older home. It worked great and looked good. Takes about 24 hrs to cure

Was it self leveling, it didnt come out all wierd looking?

How did it feel when you stood on it bare footed?

Well I realize this is an older post. However I've used white gelcoat and a foam roller to apply it. Looks great and holds up well.  Just have to clean surface well first and sand with 120 grit paper to get a good bite. If you don't clean it well you will get fish eyes in gel coat.

streetisneat said:
Well I realize this is an older post. However I've used white gelcoat and a foam roller to apply it. Looks great and holds up well.  Just have to clean surface well first and sand with 120 grit paper to get a good bite. If you don't clean it well you will get fish eyes in gel coat.

How has this held up for you?

Back
Top Bottom