Pairing a Lincoln Aviator with a Nash TT 24 M.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbrawley

We are downsizing and selling our coach.  Use an R V 2 to 6 weeks a yr max. 
The Lincoln aviator is rated to tow 6700 lbs.  the Nash is 5245 dry wht      And GVWR Of 7000 lbs. 
Plan to not overload the TT. 
This will be our first TT had many coaches but in our 70s now dont want to give up RVing just downsize. 
Please give me your suggestions for tow ing equipment, braking systems for the TT and Lincoln. 

Thanks for your input in advance

G Brawley

The Lincoln will need to have the factory installed Tow Package, or all bets off.  Then you will need a decent Weight Distribution Hitch, something like the Equal-i-zer.  I tow a similar size trailer with my 2005 YukonXL that is rated to tow 8100#.  I feel slightly under powered especially in hilly country.  A very important part to this is: what is the payload on the Lincoln.  There will be a yellow sticker in the door that states what the carry capacity is.  With a Lincoln, they tend to get loaded with sunroofs etc, that takes away from what you can add in and on it.  Personally, I think you would be much happier with the Navigator or Expedition (I'm considering them).

Edit:  Many of the newer Lincolns with tow package have the electric brake controller already installed.  You simply plug the TT into back end and your done, lights, brakes and all.

Edit#2:  Look at the attached spec from Lincoln.  They talk about Frontal area wind considerations.  Typical TT are 8 ft wide, 9-10 feet high min.  https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Prelm20Towing_Lincoln_Aviator_Apr1.pdf

SpencerPJ,
Thank you very much this gives me a place to start.  Since I have no real trailer towing experience this is a really good start. I will check out that hitch also.  Also am intrigued by something that was described as an auto backup feature on the Navigator for trailer towing.  It does sound like I would be pushing it with an Aviator. 

I think you will be unhappy with that combination, even with the trailer lightly loaded (and it always ends up heavier than you expect). The factory brochure (or website) dry weight numbers are often low as well, usually an estimated weight for the lowest trim-level they can make.  When you look at a Nash 24 on the dealer lot, make sure you check its federal weight placard for the actual weight of that unit - I'll bet it's more than 5245.

You wont be happy.  Pulled an Arctic Fox 19B with a Tahoe.  It did OK on the flats, but the first hill and it became a real dog.  Northwood builds good, but heavy.  BTW terms like "dry" or "shipping" are totally meaningless.  Use instead the trailers GVWR.  Calculate 15% of that as your tongue weight.  Add that to the SUVs scaled ready to travel weight.  How much under the SUVs GVWR are you?
Towing is not rocket science, but for a satisfying experience you do need to do your due dilligence.  Use the absolute worst case.  When and IF you come in under you will be much happier.

gbrawley said:
SpencerPJ,
Thank you very much this gives me a place to start.  Since I have no real trailer towing experience this is a really good start. I will check out that hitch also.  Also am intrigued by something that was described as an auto backup feature on the Navigator for trailer towing.  It does sound like I would be pushing it with an Aviator.
Nissan Armada or Infinity QX80 might do decent.  The mpg are terrible though.  I'm intrigued by backup system as well.  I can see it working decent backing a boat or small trailer, It just seems that it is based off using the cameras on the rear bumper, and the TT is wider than the vehicle, so question how well it would work.    Another thing to consider besides this RV Forum, google specific forums ie a Expedition / Navigator forum I browse, and get real world testimony from true owners.  Seems the Expedition / Navigator are really well liked, but have glitchy electronics. 

Aviator or Navigator ?
the Aviator is based on the explorer and the navigator is an expedition they should have similar tow ratings.

A rating of 6700 on a trailer of potentially 7000 isn't going to work. 

Back
Top Bottom