Park/campsite size restrictions for 5th wheels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulineCMay

All:

My husband and I are considering upgrading from our tent trailer to a small 5th wheel, but are wondering if we'll be able to access most of the sites we've been able to with our pop-up.  We're looking at around 25 or 27 feet for our 5th wheel.  Any advice is appreciated on what is the maximum length that we should be considering when we're wanting to access the more primitive sites.  I realize that each campground may be different, but just a general idea is helpful.

And one other question:  When shopping for 5th wheels, we notice that there are, in the cases we've seen, two different lengths given.  The model will be described as at 25-footer and the specs list it as 26.5 feet exterior length, as an example.  Can someone tell me why the difference and why isn't a 25-footer a 25-footer?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Pauline

Hi Pauline,

Most campgrounds I've been in would readily accomodate a 25-27 foot 5th wheel. Many campgrounds even have pullthrough sites, so you could drive right in without having to back up. The toughest places to get into will be national forest campgrounds - lots of trees close together that you have to negotiate.

As I'm not a 5th wheel owner, I'll let someone else answer your other question.

When I was shopping for my first RV and looking at 5th wheels, I had the same frustration, they were always longer than the model number.  I always asked the salesman why, but never got an answer that made sense.  Motor homes have the same characterstistic, my 34 foot Winnebago is 35 feet 9 inches long.

caltex said:
my 34 foot Winnebago is 35 feet 9 inches long.

If you insist on boasting I'm going to have to get my tape measure out and figure out how long our coach really is.

My tape measure says 38' 10.5". Obviously you're overstating your Journey and understating the Camelot.

Thanks, folks, for your replies.  I'll continue searching for that answer regarding length. <G>

Pauline

PaulineCMay said:
My husband and I are considering upgrading from our tent trailer to a small 5th wheel, but are wondering if we'll be able to access most of the sites we've been able to with our pop-up.? We're looking at around 25 or 27 feet for our 5th wheel.? Any advice is appreciated on what is the maximum length that we should be considering when we're wanting to access the more primitive sites.? I realize that each campground may be different, but just a general idea is helpful.

Remember the old riddle about "How long is piece of string?" ? Same idea. ? I tow 23 feet of TT. ?I would have a hard time fitting into most USFS sites. ? The issue is not only site length but the turning radius and width of campground access roads. ? 5th wheels have a relatively longer turning radius than the equivalent TT or tent trailer.

5ers also share the overhead clearance problems of ?motorhomes. ? I have witnessed several impromptu tree prunings by motorhomes going into a site.

In my opinion, a 25-27 footer 5W will rule out most forest country primitive CGs that I have seen.

<And one other question:  When shopping for 5th wheels, we notice that there are, in the cases we've seen, two different lengths given.  The model will be described as at 25-footer and the specs list it as 26.5 feet exterior length, as an example.  Can someone tell me why the difference and why isn't a 25-footer a 25-footer?>

The smaller number is the foor plan number, the larger number is overall length from the pin to the bumper. My 34 ftr is 36 ft.

Nelson

Back
Top Bottom