Parker nm22-511 Shut Off Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coy

New to motorhome life and this forum as well so be patient. I have a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow gas burner 33' in original condition as far as I can tell. Previous owner had passed away when I purchased so there was no communication on problems before purchase. As I go through the systems I have discovered a gas leak at the Parker NM22-511 Shut Off Solenoid located just downstream from the regulator and have not tried to get past that point until I solve that leak. It is pretty significant and not comfortable checking appliances yet.

My question is, must I replace the Shut Off Solenoid which is pricey and difficult to locate or can I just eliminate the Shut Off all together? Removing the valve itself is not difficult but what would I do with the two wires connected to the valve after they are disconnected and will it affect the operation of anything else in the system?

Do we assume this shut-off solenoid is in the propane system? If so, these have not been required for many years now and it can be removed and bypassed. The other end of the wires are behind and connected to the propane detector inside. It is also well past it's 'best before date' and should be replaced as well.

Thanks for your reply. You are correct, I was referring to the propane system. I understand the wires leading to the solenoid carry 12V current. Would it be OK to just tape them off and leave them in place?

Yes but.... doing so will still not allow you to draw propane unless the valve itself is bypassed/removed. Propane flows through that 12V operated valve, removing the 12V shuts down the valve I believe. You can simply remove the wires from the propane detector and the valve, cut the ends clean and store the wires, no need to remove the (now dead) wires themselves. However, as I mentioned before, you should actually change out that propane detector too. You will not find a replacement detector with the wiring and circuitry needed to control that valve.

Sounds great, I plan to tape the wires off securely so no sparks or shorts and in the area of the solenoid install another valve onto which I can attach outdoor cookers for BBQ and crawfish/lobster boiling. That has been my hopes and I have even purchased the replacement valve, just was not sure about those wires mostly. Thank you so much for the help.

This CCI detector and solenoid will work for you. See link.
BTW, the solenoid is 9 volts DC. The detector send 12 volts to the solenoid for a few milliseconds to open it and then holds it open with about 2 volts DC. The solenoid is also the ground path for the detector.
I use to offer repair service for the CCI detectors, after CCI went out of business. Sold the business to Larry at [email protected].
Shut off solenoids were never required. Not all RV manufactures used them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCI-Controls-7753-Pre-Tell-3-LP-Gas-Detector-Remote-Switch-Auto-Shut-off-/351882292090?hash=item51edd1ab7a:g:7vQAAOSwzaJYBtvD&vxp=mtr

Richard

I also bought a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow gas burner 33' in original condition with 42K mi in 2016-ish.  I read this thread and immediately wanted to sign up for this community.  Great and helpful responses as I had the same issue with my solenoid/valve sticking in closed position. I bypassed the safety valve and still wondering how safe it is to not have an auto shutoff valve??  I don't  think I'm getting power to the detector and so since they are connected, maybe my auto-valve works fine and I need to inspect the detector.  I'd love confirmation from anyone who knows, that it is safe to remove the safety valve.  I'm assuming I should get a replacement gas detector that simply alarms and doesn't shut the system down?  Thanks for any insight.

I'd recommend doing exactly what Stu said - bypass the auto shut-off valve completely. They haven't been used in years, and you'd be hard-pressed to find any examples of not having one causing any problems. Just be sure that there are no leaks in the fittings. Then get a new LP detector and you'll be good to go.

Kev

I for one am an advocate of propane shut off detectors. If you are away from your rig and a leak develops the shut off system may save your rig.
An alert only system won't help if your away and can't hear it.
Safe-T-Alert started making a shut off system when CCI went out of business in 2008. https://bigdaddysparts.com/RV-CO-LP-Alarm-w-Valve-Control-Brown.html  Also available on Ebay.
Larry at [email protected] has a source for those 9 volt propane solenoid valves at a much better price. Yes CCI used a 9 volt coil on those valves.
You,ve heard both opinions, your call...........

Richard

PS...If your a DIYer, look inside that solenoid. It may have a replaceable "O" ring. It's been too long, I'm not sure if the seal is a lip seal or "O" ring.
I have a new solenoid but you can't have it. na na na na......GRIN

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom