parking overnight at walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overnight parking at Walmarts is allowed on a per-store basis. Some allow it, others don't. Call the store ahead of time to learn their policy.

Length doesn't matter, but they usually direct you to park in a certain location of the parking lot.

Even if you call before hand, I would still go in and talk to a manager and thank him. I always had a shopping cart with a few items in it just to show our support and appreciation. And we never pulled out the grill, lawn chairs, hammock etc. we’re not camping there, just stopping over for a few hours. And don’t leave any trash behind or dump your tanks in their storm drains. I’ve never seen that but I’ve heard of it being done.

DO NOT go in and ask to speak to the store manager at a Wal-Mart, they are far too busy to deal with these sorts of things, and are usually 3rd tier up in escalation of customer service issues in a typical Wal-Mart SuperCenter store. In other words the store managers don't get involved in customer relations unless it is a critical situation. Ask at the customer service desk if you do go in, if they don't know they will ask the customer service manager if they are on duty, or call a front line manager (the one tier up person that is usually over the cashiers). The store manager is 2 levels up over that.

I really didn’t specify which manager. You could even go to the one in charge of the cashiers or the produce dept.

Another good one that is not as well known is Home Depot stores,, they have large lots and are mostly quiet at night..>>>Dan

Last edited:
Hey, OP, go to allstays.com and click on the Walmart tab, that site will give you more detailed info on many WallyWorld locations, AYE??? And don't sweat the length of your rig, I've camped out in Walmart lots countless times in the big truck, draggin' a 53' wagon. Basic rules, park where ya won't interfere with four-wheel (customer) traffic, and don't act like a fool in the parking lot... remember, most of those Walmart lots have cameras mounted atop light poles, buildings, etc. Don't give the management or security guards a reason to dislike you. Buying some stuff in the store always helps, they'll be less inclined to kick out a customer, as opposed to some freeloading boondocker, lol. Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Another good one that is not as well known id Home Depot stores,, they have large lots and are mostly quiet at night..>>>Dan
Also add Lowe's stores to that list. I have only asked them a few times but the answer was always yes. Most churches will also welcome you for a night if it isn't a busy night.

I'll park in a mall parking lot, If it's sort of later at night. Most of them close at 10 or so. But, I'll use whatever lot that looks inviting.

Like some of the other respondents, I prefer other big box stores to Walmart because they are generally quieter, but we have certain,y spent time in a number of Walmart lots. Small town stores are quieter and less likely to have community bans on overnight parking. If a town has two Walmarts (or other big box stores), the one farthest from the highway will be less crowded and quieter. We have found an amazing difference in just 3-4 miles distance. And always, always call to confirm they allow it and to ask where they want you to park.

Another good one that is not as well known is Home Depot stores,, they have large lots and are mostly quiet at night..>>>Dan

Also Cracker Barrels and Cabellas sporting goods. I understand that some even have a dump station for a small fee.

I'll park in a mall parking lot, If it's sort of later at night. Most of them close at 10 or so. But, I'll use whatever lot that looks inviting.

Be careful. When we were new to rv’ing and after driving all day we did just that only to get a knock on the door at midnight telling us to get out NOW. It was security.

Be careful. When we were new to rv’ing and after driving all day we did just that only to get a knock on the door at midnight telling us to get out NOW. It was security.
LOL. Security pulled up next to us one night, just as we were getting "set-up" said "y'all have a good evening". My daughter thought he was getting ready to tell us to leave.

One thing you will notice at Wal-Mart and selected other parking lots is the lines on the pavement are three different colors.

Blue is of course for Handicapped spots (Note if the line on one side is blue and the other white that's not a Handicapped spot)
White is (as I recall) closest to the store.. DO NOT park an RV in that area

Yellow is the "Outlot" for trucks, RV's, Busses and the like as well as cars when busy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom