Party on my roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwdanby

Hello! Thanks for all the advice about the monster under my RV bed! Now, I'm wondering about the spring break party on my roof. These are not mice, they are bigger, maybe crows, squirrels or raccoons. Sometimes it even sounds like a person. My 5th wheel is parked partly under several trees, that I can't cut back. (I live in it full-time.) I don't mind the noise, I've named whatever's up there Edward, and he's good company late at night. (Also all day.) But is there any harm he could be doing? nesting in the A/C? doing his business in the exhaust fan? renting out rooms? Thanks for any advice!

Yes, they can do damage. I had a lake cabin where a squirrel chewed thru the asphalt shingles, then the plywood roof, then the drywall ceiling. He apparently was subletting my cabin because we found several nests when we returned in the spring. Needless to say they all got evicted. I repaired the roof but two weeks later he chewed through again in the same spot. I assume to get to the acorn rent money he stashed in the attic. I had to put sheet metal under the shingles to keep him out. I don't know of another way to keep them out unless you identify what music he doesn't like and play it loudly all night.

If it's on top of the roof, I don't think there is a lot to worry about, though I'd check the a/c housing from time to time. However, it's sometimes possible for critters to climb up under the rear cap and get into the space between roof and inside ceiling. THAT can be a real concern. And critters on the roof may become critters in the storage areas underneath the RV too.

Back
Top Bottom