Passed up a great deal today on a nice shed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Since i will probably be getting a little riding mower soon (my reel mower will never cut that prairie grass).  Ill need a new shed to store it in.  So i started costing it out and doing an 8x8 shed that i can stand up in (which gives me enough room for a work table as well and a table saw) i figured it would cost me about $1200 and even if i could do it all using reclaimed wood and such we are still talking $800 minimum.

I would like to be able to do something like this, but i also dont want to max out my CC that i will have paid off by next month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CCZcGs84Ds

The other day when i was at lowes i was looking at their sheds and they had one of these there.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-Common-8-ft-x-8-ft-Interior-Dimensions-7-58-ft-x-7-36-ft-Belmont-Gable-Engineered-Storage-Shed/50115703

I thought that was a decent price since it cost me about $500 to build my little 2x4x6 shed last year.  But i wanted to think about it.  Then an employee came back and told me that they had one that was built already and that when they delivered it to a customer it was the wrong one, the customer thought they ordered a different one. So they were taking $100 off the price to get it out the door.   

I was about to make the deal when my son called and said he may need help getting a car.  So i told the employee that i just could not do it right now.  Today my dad called me and told me that he wanted to help my son out because he was so proud of him and wanted to help him get a car.  Now after some back and forth about who is going to help, i felt it was so important for him to be a awesome grandpa that i told him ok fine.

I told him about the shed and he agreed it was a huge deal.  So i called lowes and they had already sold it.  Im sure there will be other deals but gosh too bad i missed that but it was for a really good reason.

I purchased two of those sheds and left the back wall out of each and made one large 8x16 shed with doors on both ends. An 8x8 shed probably won?t be large enough for a work table and table saw. I keep my lawn tractor in my 8x16 shed and I don?t think I would have room for a work table.

If you are handy then building your own would probably save you some money. 

It was kind of you to put your son first.

Won't it be sale time for one or other holidays soon?  Easter? Mother's Day etc. usually there are offers on then.  I mean what Mother wouldn't be happy with the gift of a new shed??  ;)

Good luck, hope you get something soon.

Oldgator73 said:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-created-she-shed-formerly-224200732.html
That's awesome.  Wish I could do that!....  well I could if I wasn't in America for 6 months.  ;D

Oldgator73 said:
I purchased two of those sheds and left the back wall out of each and made one large 8x16 shed with doors on both ends. An 8x8 shed probably won?t be large enough for a work table and table saw. I keep my lawn tractor in my 8x16 shed and I don?t think I would have room for a work table.

How is it holding up over time, how long ago was this?  Did you put extra supports in the floor as some suggest?  Did you use shingles or go with metal roofing?

I could build a lean-to on the side of it and park the mower there covered up, that should give me enough room to put a work bench in and a table saw i think.

djw2112 said:
How is it holding up over time, how long ago was this?  Did you put extra supports in the floor as some suggest?  Did you use shingles or go with metal roofing?

I could build a lean-to on the side of it and park the mower there covered up, that should give me enough room to put a work bench in and a table saw i think.

Three years ago. Metal roof with cedar shingles on the sides. Seems to be holding up fine. I built the floor frame with 2x10?s 16 inches on center. My neighbor put a lean-to on his shed for extra room but I would think the lean-to would cost about the same as another shed.

Oldgator73 said:
Three years ago. Metal roof with cedar shingles on the sides. Seems to be holding up fine. I built the floor frame with 2x10?s 16 inches on center. My neighbor put a lean-to on his shed for extra room but I would think the lean-to would cost about the same as another shed.

Thanks for the update, yeah alot of people on the reviews say to add support to the floor as its not enough from the factory, that is good to know.  Regarding the lean-to im only talking two holes, some concrete, 2 4x4x8, 5 2x6x8 for roof, 2 sheets of plywood, alittle tarpaper, 2 sheets of medal roofing, no sides other than the one shed wall.   

Back
Top Bottom