Passport America!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladybug

Six years ago we let our Passport America membership go by the wayside. Reason being, everytime we tried to use it we were told by a lot of the participating campgrounds that the discounted sites were on a "first come" basis and they did not take reservations. A very few limited times were we able to drive into a campground and get our 50% discounted camping. We maybe got discounted camping a dozen times in the three years we had our membership. We are now retired and planning on "hitting the road" and wanted to know if anyone is a current member of Passport and if they have had any problems. Ladybug

Ladybug, there are a number of PA members here who repeatedly say they get their membership fees back over and over. I've been sitting on the fence, undecided whether to join or not, so I'll be interested in the answers to your question.

Even with the restrictions, we get more than our money's worth from Passport America.  It only takes a few nights at the PA rate to pay for the annual subscription.  You do have to watch the restrictions, but they're spelled out clearly in the directory and on the web site listings.

I'm staying at a PA park, same as Ned and Lorna, less than 150' from each other, but I was not given the PA rate even though the park is not anywhere near full. Seems they can designate (arbritrarily) certain sites as qualifying for the discount, so I was not afforded it. Even so, PA is still a good deal when everyone plays by the same rules. 

We just left a PA park in Charleston, SC that charges 1.75 for utilities and 3.50 f0r 50 amp electricity for PA members that they do not charge normal discount customers but it is still 4.00 a day less than any other discount.

I get frustrated with these shenanigans but we also save several times the membership cost of PA. If you do join make sure to take advantage of memberships in other organizations that lower the PA membership such as FMCA.

Jeff Cousins said:
...take advantage of memberships in other organizations that lower the PA membership such as FMCA.

Jeff, are you saying that you get double discounts? Most/all places we've stayed will only give one discount.

Tom said:
Jeff, are you saying that you get double discounts? Most/all places we've stayed will only give one discount.

Tom:

No. I meant that joining PA through FMCA saves $10.00 on the cost of the annual PA membership.

No. I meant that joining PA through FMCA saves $10.00 on the cost of the annual PA membership.

And I think if you're a member of WIT you will also get a reduction in the cost of an annual PA membership.

In our case, we were a member for one year, the first year we had our motorhome.  We did not renew because on most occasions the location of the PA park was not convenient to us.  Mind you, we were never turned down a PA discount for any reason.

Ciao,

Doug

ladybug said:
We maybe got discounted camping a dozen times in the three years we had our membership.

Let's see, 4 times a year at maybe $15 savings each 4 x $15 = $60, membership = $35

And your problem is?

Hi ladybug,

Whenever we are traveling extensively we join PA. We usually have our membership fee paid before we hit Arizona. We live in Florida. Yes, some parks do play games but the last time we joined we never were refused the rate though sometimes it's available for only one night. One time we stayed in Inyokern, CA where they allowed a week at the PA rate. We decided we wanted to stay another week so we asked if the rate would be available. They said no problem. It's really up to the campground owner.

The only time we have had a problem with PA is in AZ. Most of the parks there have blackout dates that include winter when we (and most people) are there. At least the ones on our route did.

Other than that we have been able to use PA parks with no problems. Have not been turned down yet .
Our  route has been NH to CO to AZ toTX and back to NH. It takes a year to make the circuit and with one or two night stays we pay for the membership quickly, and then put away savings from then on.

We call ahead at about two in the afternoon to see if they have space and are usually in the park by three or three thirty.

Some of the parks are close to an interstate and some are a few miles off. Most are not real fancy but we have not found one that we were uncomfortable in.

Hi Clay,

You have the secret. Always get into the park before the crowds start. We try to be in by 4:30. We have been able to use PA in Arizona on several occasions in the winter. I'm sure policy changes with the number of people looking to stay. :(

Once on a return trip from Hot Springs Ark to ILL we over nighted in Sikeston MO after a great meal at the roll throwing cafe (Lammerts or Lamberts (whatever)  and drove east from the restaurant about 2 miles.  The people checking in  in front of us paid14 bucks plus 3.50 for electric using their PA card.  I having 30 amp asked how much and was told $16 flat.    Mind yo the guy ahead had a 32' MH and a Geo tracker for a toad. Well with our MH and enclosed trailer we measure 65' bumper to bumper.  At 16 bucks  I never said another word as to being the owner of a PA card.  Sometimes it's better to ask rates before mentioning club affiliation. I've found this to be true on a number of occasions.  More $ in my pocket  well not really  the Boss's  perhaps.  It pays for those stop at Flying J's.  LOL

We obtained a lifetime membership to PA several years ago when they were available.  This lifetime membership, like yearly memberships, has more than saved the original cost many times over.

Ron said:
We obtained a lifetime membership to PA several years ago when they were available.  This lifetime membership, like yearly memberships, has more than saved the original cost many times over.

Now that would be a deal... any idea if that offer is gone for good, or does it just pop up every so many years?

scottydl said:
Now that would be a deal... any idea if that offer is gone for good, or does it just pop up every so many years?

I believe the lifetime membership offer was available again sometime ago but it was much more expensive than what we bought.  In any case it would have still been a good deal.

We always check the restrictions listed for the park in the directory and plan accordingly.  I have noticed that most allow the discount during the week and not on weekends and holidays.  If you can travel during the week, then you can use it quite a bit and it doesn't take long to add up.
  I used it last year at a park for two weeks in march and saved over $200.
  PA, Good Sam and TACO seems to help us the most.

We use Passport America quite often as we travel. If you are just a weekender it may not work much for you, but if you are full time or close to it
it is a great deal.

Dave

We use passport all over the USA and have never been turned down, we usually stop at 3-3;30 I have taken the Passport Book and take a Highlighter and mark the Towns where they are located, We traveled around the US last yeare 14,000 miles and stayed in all passport parks and Military FamCamps, we use 2 Reg. campgrounds on the whole trip.  By the way K O A means Keep On Adding.                                                                                                  Neal ([email protected]

\

Back
Top Bottom