Passport requirement delayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerryarlyne

This is an excerpt from a Yuma, AZ. newspaper article today. Looks like we will be able to cross the border a little longer without having to show a passport.

Jerry

>>The deadline for needing passports for land crossings from Canada and Mexico has been pushed back one year.

>>The move came as part of a package of border-related laws that President Bush signed while in Arizona Wednesday.

>>Jared Peterson, a spokesman for the Border Trade Alliance in Phoenix, said the delay will give more time for the government and >the public to understand the implications of the delay.

>>"They are going to get a little bit of extra time to get prepared for when the changes go into effect," Peterson said.

>>The delay changed the deadline from Jan. 1, 2008, to June 1, 2009, for requiring passports or other approved identification for >>persons entering the United States at border U.S. ports of entry.

Passports are good for 10 years.  They can be renewed by mail.

We always carry our passports with us now when we go to Canada.? Don't have to 'worry' about other papers for proof of who we are and where we are from.

Our local post office has a pass port window (restricted hours...but not bad) and we renew there.

"This is an excerpt from a Yuma, AZ. newspaper article today. Looks like we will be able to cross the border a little longer without having to show a passport."

"A  little longer" may have  ended yesterday on Jan 23, 2007, according to a South San Francisco newspaper, but its not real clear because it says "passengers flying back into the US from Canada, Mexico & the Caribbean were required to show a valid passport for the first time Tuesday .  .  ."

Does it make a difference when RVing instead of flying?

-Don- (South San Francisco)

DonTom said:
Does it make a difference when RVing instead of flying?

Big difference.

Flying requirement started this week.  Driving/walking not until next year.

PhilB

Here is a real passport dilemma.  A couple of the Canadian guys here at QZ told me the following.

40 to 60 years ago many Canadians, along the border, drove across the border to the US to birth their children because there were not hospitals or doctors close to them.  In other words the US medical facilities were physically closer.  They then went home and NEVER gave it a thought.  For some of them their parents may have departed this earth by now.

Well, with the new passport rule in Canada these folks, now 50-60 years old, have been applying for a Canadian passport and cannot get one because they are technically US citizens.  This will be a problem for Parliament, e.g., a new law.

These 50-60 year folks have paid into the Canadian social services, joined the Canadian medical system and have worked their entire lifetime in Canada but they now need proof of being a Canadian citizen which they don't have to get a passport.

JerryF

There are those babies and there is also another group.  Those who lived outside Canada when they turned 24.

Quoted from CBC news:

"Many applying for a Canadian passport have been informed their chance to remain a citizen expired years ago because of an obscure provision in the Citizenship Act, a little-known law that applied between 1947 and 1977.

The law states that if you lived outside Canada on your 24th birthday and failed to sign the right form, you automatically lost your citizenship."

Well we have our PP photos now and have filled out our application form.  I think we will go ahead and get our passports, even though we are walkers and not fliers.  Passport applications are up 25% and are expected to be up 75% later this year and waiting lines will get large.  We figured since we are this far along, we might as well ride up to Sun City West this month and finish the job.

jerryarlyne said:
This is an excerpt from a Yuma, AZ. newspaper article today. Looks like we will be able to cross the border a little longer without having to show a passport.

Jerry

>>The deadline for needing passports for land crossings from Canada and Mexico has been pushed back one year.

According to the Travelocity website this evening, they're required now.

Wendy

wendyann said:
According to the Travelocity website this evening, they're required now.

Flying, yes, passports are now required. Driving or walking, passports won't be required until 2008.

Wendy
Quartzsite Forum Rally

My memory might be failing me, but the last time we walked across the border at Algadones, the sign said "passports required starting February, 2007".

Tom said:
My memory might be failing me, but the last time we walked across the border at Algadones, the sign said "passports required starting February, 2007".

From what I've been reading, that's been delayed until February 2008 for walkers and drivers.

Thanks for the link. Ultimately, of course, it's up to the officer on the spot to make any entry/no-entry decision. I've had one situation where a customs/border agent advised me to take my passport when crossing at Niagara Falls and another who initially wasn't going to let me in (by boat) at San Diego because I'd mislaid my passport; In the latter case, a call to his office verified I was "in the computer" and was politely told "you're good". The first case was after 9/11 and the second one was before 9/11.

You know, if we're gonna have to have passports next year to go in and out of Mexico and Canada walking and driving, we might as well get them now.

Back
Top Bottom