PC keeps dropping wi fi connection to router

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

My Desktop PC has started to drop the Wi Fi connection to the internet router every little bit.  My wifes PC is right next to mine and doesn't have a problem. Any idea how to debug this?  I did try a different USB Wi FI Adapter with the same results.

Look for the software that controls wifi.  Install the latest version.  If that does not fix it then your wifi cwrd is bad.

To further serve you better Windows 10 will turn off your WiFi by default after about an hour or less.

Discovered that when my granddaughters new laptop PC would disconnect while she was doing homework. I went into the power settings and turned that wonderful feature OFF.

Lowell said:
My Desktop PC has started to drop the Wi Fi connection to the internet router every little bit.  My wifes PC is right next to mine and doesn't have a problem. Any idea how to debug this?  I did try a different USB Wi FI Adapter with the same results.

1 Restart the computer if you haven't already (A complete shutdown and restart...Not sleep mode)
2 Does the WiFi have a time out setting. (very uncommon but I did have a router that would disconnect any inactive users...Very old school)
3 Are you getting any error or warning messages
4 You also may need to completely reboot your router as well ( check on line for rebooting your router.
5 You may have a program on your computer that is shutting down the Wifi due to conflicts in programming. Have you recently installed any new programs?

Must be in the air.  I had issues today as well.

Unplug electric cord to router
shutdown computer
Go to the bathroom (Ok, just leave router off 1 minute)
Plug Router back in
let it re-establish, seriously, give it 5 minutes
Turn on computer

Works every time for me.

Gizmo100 said:
1 Restart the computer if you haven't already (A complete shutdown and restart...Not sleep mode)
2 Does the WiFi have a time out setting. (very uncommon but I did have a router that would disconnect any inactive users...Very old school)
3 Are you getting any error or warning messages
4 You also may need to completely reboot your router as well ( check on line for rebooting your router.
5 You may have a program on your computer that is shutting down the Wifi due to conflicts in programming. Have you recently installed any new programs?

1. Restart will usually connect to internet but it connection may not last very long
2.No time out setting that I am aware of.
3. Once in a while I will see a "long running script" message
4. I can unplug and replug the wireless router but other devices are having no problems with connection.
5. No new programs recently.

Lowell said:
2.No time out setting that I am aware of.
3. Once in a while I will see a "long running script" message
4. I can unplug and replug the wireless router but other devices are having no problems with connection.

So we narrowed it down a little...Lets get a little more information
What is your operating system?...(If Win 10 See Arch's comment)
Wife operating system?
Does her computer use the same type of WiFi adapter?

Both PC operate on Windows 10. Her PC does not use a wi fi adapter. Actually my PC also has a built in wi fi card but I plugged in the USB adapter card to see if if would improve my connection. It didn't.

I would follow the following suggestion

Arch Hoagland said:
To further serve you better Windows 10 will turn off your WiFi by default after about an hour or less.

Discovered that when my granddaughters new laptop PC would disconnect while she was doing homework. I went into the power settings and turned that wonderful feature OFF.

Depending what you are doing...If you WiFi is in active it may be cutting it off within a few minutes.. And I would go back to the built in WiFi as long as it's doing the same thing. I would also remove any software it installed to avoid conflicts.

I only have 1 computer that runs Win 10, But it's not set up..I would rather run my 10 year old computer running Win 7.

It just dropped off again with only the internal Wi Fi card active.  But this time I noticed that when I went to try connecting to my Wi Fi router, the router did not show up immediately but I could see other Wi Fi connections such at my printer and at least one Wi Fi connection that I assume is a neighbor's router. I'm going to unplug the Century Link router as see if that improves anything for me but I need to wait until my wife is finished using her PC which is working correctly.

Are you and your wife using the same WiFi band?  i.e. 2.4 vs 5 ghz  Maybe one, or the other, on the router is the issue?  Most newer routers are dual band and do both, WIN 10 will likely pick that band for the connection it "thinks" is best.
Latesest updates/drivers on the router and the PCs?

Just a thought.

phil-t said:
Are you and your wife using the same WiFi band?  i.e. 2.4 vs 5 ghz  Maybe one, or the other, on the router is the issue?  Most newer routers are dual band and do both, WIN 10 will likely pick that band for the connection it "thinks" is best.
Latesest updates/drivers on the router and the PCs?

Just a thought.

:)) :)) Good thinking

Well, rebooted the Century Link router.  When using the PC, this time I got a message you connection has been closed by the host.  Don't know what that means but I suspect my PC is responding too slowly.

SeilerBird said:
I sure am glad I use Chromebook. Never dropped a connection in six years.

lol,  That doesn't help me much but it might help someone else to buy a Chromebook.

I'm a little stump...If it just started and nothing has change.

It is possible that win 10 or some other software updated and it causing a conflict.

I would follow Arch Hoagland suggestions regarding time outs.

The only time I've run into this involved IP Conflicts.. Turned out to be a cell phone that would come into the office area.

Gizmo100 said:
It is possible that win 10 or some other software updated and it causing a conflict.

Are you current on your Updates? 
You possibly could revert back to a previous saved restore point. Under settings. Sometimes updates don't process perfectly.

Since you can see someone else's router but not yours (at least, that one time), I would suspect your router. You should be able to log onto your router via a browser. Enter the IP address of your router to access the page. Log on to it and look for the page that lists devices that it remembers. You will likely find this under the LAN section. There should be a way to clear the devices listed. Clear them and when you try to reattach, you will have to re-enter the log on password or key. So will your wife and anyone else that has logged onto your wifi.

Similar "can't see the wifi" recent issue on my laptop... when my computer wakes up (from the lid being closed), now it often will not see any wifi connections at all. Like I'm out in the middle of the desert, without a router in sight. Then after a minute or two, *bam* they all pop into the list (my router, my extender, other devices, my neighbors houses, etc.) like a switch just got turned on.

This just started a month or so ago, with no other changes to any equipment or services. Drivers are current, restarts don't make the problem go away, and other devices work fine... so I know it's something with this laptop and/or Windows 10. Who knows.

Google "Windows 10 Dropped WiFi Connection" and you'll find numerous articles. I had all sorts of issues, then I found a YouTube video showing several configuration changes to make. Haven't dropped a connection since.

I resisted changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I'm starting to like it.

Back
Top Bottom