Pen making on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfr

Came across an old topic where some fulltimers were discussing their hobby of making pens while on the road. I'm curious as to whether people are still doing it or have given up the Hobby?

Joe still sells his pens at our Vendor Day once a month. There is not a lot of demand for them but he has a couple of other items that seems to pay for the display space.

Are we talking about turning pens on a lathe?  I guess one could carry a very small lathe with them. :)

We have a neighbor who makes pens for a hobby. Small trailer and travels alone. Carries a lathe and jig saw plus supplies and smaller tools. Sets up a ten by ten shade room and goes to town. He has dozens of pens on display, but I don't think he tries to make money at it.

Ernie

Lou Schneider said:
Next time you see Joe, tell him I said hello.  It would be nice to hear from him again.

Will do Lou.

Each year he tells me me this will be his last but then shows up in the Fall.

Joe told us several years ago that he was giving up the pen business because they were so hard to sell.  We have a few and they are beautiful, but there isn't a big market for expensive ball point pens.

Gives him something to do. He now turns cylinders to hold things like pins and needles and another that I have forgotton.

The reason I ask is, we are going to prep the sticks and bricks for sale this summer and list it next year in anticipation of going full time. Part of what I will be giving up, reluctantly, is my woodworking shop and tools. I am somewhat concerned that I'll be bored on the road so I'm looking to do something of this nature.

Don't give it up, miniaturize it. I have a small CNC Router that travels with us. It is great for smaller projects and lithophanes. It's certainly challenging enough to keep from getting bored.

Ernie

I have a 7 by 7 from Zen. Takes about 2 x 2 ft (small table) plus a small suitcase to carry "stuff". I may well go to a larger one soon to more conveniently make signs.

Ernie

I've been looking at the CNC machines Rockler woodworking has available. Looks like nice equipment, but pricey.

Zen Toolworks are lower end in price and capability, but they work well, just slower (and quieter ;D). If I move up, I suspect I'll get one of the Microcarve machines. In any csse, don't expect to spend much less than $1, 000 to get into the hobby.

http://wiki.zentoolworks.com/index.php/Main_Pagehttp://wiki.zentoolworks.com/index.php/Main_Page

Lots of information on the cnczone web site about these and other smaller machines. The Zen and Microcarve sites are also informative.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I may well set up a separate topic for this subject.

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom