Personal travel information on the internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have to agree with SeilerBird.  I believe my phone listens to me.  I assume any and everything I do online is pretty much public. Don?t care. Nothing I do is going to get me in any trouble and will quickly bore anyone besides advertising firms. 
(I DO monitor our credit closely as it?s at risk with ?being out there?...  ?Don?t care? doesn?t mean I don?t pay attention.)

SeilerBird said:
There is only one reason companies track you, it is to make advertising more effective. There is no other reason. I don't see why people are so paranoid about more logical advertising.

If companies can track you, the Government can track you.  For me, I'm not okay with that.  Nothing to hide, just not okay with that.

SpencerPJ said:
If companies can track you, the Government can track you.  For me, I'm not okay with that.  Nothing to hide, just not okay with that.
The government has a lot more important things to worry about than tracking you. If they want to track me they can be my guest. I am not doing anything illegal and I have nothing to hide.

I stay in bed. Under the covers. Threw the microwave out. Heard somewhere that the government can see you and hear you through your microwave. Have an old B&W TV with an antenna (can the government listen in over my antenna?). I have an old, black rotary dial phone. No computer. A neighbor posted this for me. I don?t answer the door unless the visitor uses the secret knock. Groceries are ordered by a neighbor online and she brings them to me (she knows the secret knock). I do read actual books. But not newspapers. I believe newspaper ink has some kind of tracking device in it. That?s why it rubs of the paper onto your fingers. Man I gotta go to the bathroom but heard the toilet gurgle last night. I swear that toilet is watching what I do.  ;D

I think paranoria is beyond the pale, but reasonable caution appropriate. I use a seperate computer only for financial transactions (banking, stock accounts, etc) but otherwise don't take any particular care with day to day stuff (on a different computer). Tara does Facebook and a lot of knitting sites as well as games, but again on her own computer.

And before you note that multiple computers gets expensive, I'll note that all three of these dedicated computers cost a total of $600! They even come with a free version of Microsoft Office. The keyboard for the financial computer cost an additional$30.

Ernie

NY_Dutch said:
Just to be clear, Google does not "sell data". That would be entirely counterproductive to their core product, selling access to your eyeballs. Companies pay Google to display ads based on the desired demographics for a given product.

And do these companies create their own desired demographics?

Ernie n Tara said:
  I use a seperate computer only for financial transactions (banking, stock accounts, etc) 

Ernie

Not sure I understand your rational.  You still need to connect to the Internet.  What difference does it make to have a separate computer for financial stuff?

I think these discussions are kind of humorous in a frightening way. We have endless discussions on how everything on the planet is tracking our use and travel. Then we go home at night and post our most intimate details on Facebook, Instagram and all of those wonderful blogs written by many of our RV friends. We broadcast to the world all of our life details but don't want Verizon to know where we are. Chuck

chuckbear said:
I think these discussions are kind of humorous in a frightening way. We have endless discussions on how everything on the planet is tracking our use and travel. Then we go home at night and post our most intimate details on Facebook, Instagram and all of those wonderful blogs written by many of our RV friends. We broadcast to the world all of our life details but don't want Verizon to know where we are. Chuck
What I think is funny is for people to complain about social media sites on a social media site. The ones who say "I never visit social media sites" like they are some kind of a disease.

There are a few rules I follow when doing anything online, especially social media of any kind.
  • Use Opera browser with Adguard advertisement blocker. It lets me block all Facebook (and any other) advertisements so I never even see them. I can literally click the offending item on the screen and it never appears again.  Opera also offers free VPN service built into their browser.
  • Never use my real name in social media
  • Never give a phone number to any online entity - they pretend they are doing you a favor when in fact they are selling your number to solicitors.
  • Use disposable email addresses for anything social - it is easy to dispose of those if you need to. Save your important email communications for your "secret" email address - only for your business, family, and friend purposes.
  • Never click a link sent to me by anyone, including friends - their email might have been hijacked and is sending phishing or other nefarious emails. If it is something that you really are interested in, contact the sender first to be sure they actually sent it.
It is disturbing how much we need to do on a regular basis to protect ourselves. It almost seems like there are more criminals trying to get our information than we have friends. I guess I'm kind of paranoid.

garyb1st said:
Not sure I understand your rational.  You still need to connect to the Internet.  What difference does it make to have a separate computer for financial stuff?

Just a couple of thoughts on that..

If the computer is only used for financial stuff.....Then SHUTDOWN. Then it's not being exposed to hackers all day.

When people are using the computer for games and social media they could be unintentionally giving out information that could make the computer a target. 

chuckbear said:

We??? Not in our household...

I'm under the illusion that my banks and brokers are much less likely to infect my files than other sites including this one as an example. Also I don't use email on that computer.

Ernie

For the past 50-60 years, you've had satellites flying overhead that can track your every move.  ::) Then why do you even leave the house?
If you're a person who thinks the world is all about you, then you stay inside. Great life, that.  :(

If the Gumm'int wanted to follow you, they've had the ability to do that since long before satellites. They'd just assign a team of people with vehicles and other equipment to stake you out.
I'm going to make up some numbers to illustrate a point (and because I don't know the real numbers):
Let's assume that it takes a team of ten people to effectively follow someone 24/7, logging and reporting their movements to...someone else. Behind that team are the equivalent of another 10 people, interpreting that information, managing the various personnel and their equipment, doing the bookwork, and all the other things that keep the project going. That's a 20-1 ratio of trackers to trackee. And that leaves out all of those who'd need to be involved to arrest, torture, incarcerate you and otherwise make your life miserable.
Again, I've made up the numbers, but I think they're reasonable. If you actually know the correct numbers, enlighten us.

But modern technology makes it all easy, doesn't it?
Technology can eliminate those first 10 people, the ones out in the street, but it can't eliminate most of the rest. And you still need people to operate and maintain the technology. So let's drop the with-technology tracker/trackee ratio to 8:1.
How many people does the U.S. government employ? About 22 million. (Let's assume that your state and local governments don't care where you go.)
78% of the U.S. population, about 250 million people, are older than 18. Tracking that toddler may be fun, but it isn't very productive.
So, if each and every U.S. government employee i.e. every social worker, park ranger, military, lawyer, office worker, elected representative, astronaut etc. was involved FULL TIME doing or supporting citizen surveillance, they could track at most 2.75 million people, about 1-in-9.

I doubt that the meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center do much citizen surveillance in the offseason, so let's look at the intelligence agencies.
The NSA employs about 20,000 people, the FBI about 35,000. So together they could theoretically track about 7,000 people. The CIA supposedly is restricted to non-US operations, but even their 20,000-odd would add only about 2,500 to the total, so let's include them, too. All-up, our security agencies, if they did nothing else, could track about 4 people out of every 100,000.
How important do you think YOU are?

What people fail to realize about data mining is that it's all about groups and probabilities, not individual observation. You "like" cat pictures, so you're more likely to be receptive to an ad for upholstery cleaner than to one for shotguns. But it's far from precise or direct. We're talking about response rate differences that range from several percentage points down to small fractions of one percent.

In the end, it's all about not wasting advertising money that's spread over millions of impressions, not about your individual lifestyle. When you think that big business doesn't care about you, you're right. And you should be happy about that.

Data security is a whole different matter. The fact is that all of our life-critical information today is stored on the computers of those who provide us with related services, and we are at the mercy of their systems to keep our data from becoming exposed. The sad fact is that there is no completely secure system, and there never will be.

There is a lot of truth in that logic. I spent 25 years working in a major metropolitan city. Big place. Millions of electronic devices everywhere.  If tracking and surveillance was as good as we think it is, then there would be no crime and no criminals. Big brother would know where you are and what you are doing 24/7. 

The truth is that they have enough trouble trying to figure out what kind of toothpaste you use, and by the time that info is sifted and the junk ads sent to you, your preferences have changed. Yes, marketing is real, but tracking every phase of your life is not. Not in real time. There is just too many people, doing too much stuff, every second of every day.

About ten years ago I read that if a person spends the day walking in New York City they can expect to be photographed at least 74 times. I don't know if that is true but I would bet it would be double that by now. It blows my mind that people think they can commit a crime in broad daylight and not be caught.

Most crimes are solved in less than an hour.  About 35 minutes of story and 24.9 minutes of advertising.  Unless of course it's a 1/2 hour story. 

SeilerBird said:
About ten years ago I read that if a person spends the day walking in New York City they can expect to be photographed at least 74 times. I don't know if that is true but I would bet it would be double that by now. It blows my mind that people think they can commit a crime in broad daylight and not be caught.

Tom, you and I live near Orlando, where tourists pose for pictures in front of shopping mall entrances, for Pete's sake. I'd take being photographed 74 times a day as a reprieve.
If it's true that every photo taken of you steals a bit of your soul, My spirit was emptied long ago.

garyb1st said:
Most crimes are solved in less than an hour.  About 35 minutes of story and 24.9 minutes of advertising.  Unless of course it's a 1/2 hour story. 

And therein lies a lot of the problem. Popular shows like CSI give viewers the impression that authorities have all these fantastic high tech abilities to track, find, and apprehend suspects instantly. These techniques are WAY EXAGGERATED for entertainment purposes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom