Personal travel information on the internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW said:
I am far from a computer genius, but it was explained to me years ago by someone that is, that you never really erase everything from a computer. The hard drive is like an onion skin, and if you peel off enough layers, you will get to the info eventually.  If you know how.

That's a very good analogy...Although it's been my understanding that if the bit's of data on the hard drive have been over written enough times then it may not be readable.
However enough other data may be readable to put together a file of information.

Just a little side story

When Bill Clinton was elected President He and/or Hillary had all the hard drives in the governors mansion shredded ...This ended up costing the taxpayers of Arkansas a lot of Money. Not only did they have to replace the hard drives but a lot of the software also had to be replaced. 

Gizmo100 said:
That's a very good analogy...Although it's been my understanding that if the bit's of data on the hard drive have been over written enough times then it may not be readable.
However enough other data may be readable to put together a file of information.

Just a little side story

When Bill Clinton was elected President He and/or Hillary had all the hard drives in the governors mansion shredded ...This ended up costing the taxpayers of Arkansas a lot of Money. Not only did they have to replace the hard drives but a lot of the software also had to be replaced.

Can?t find where it states Clinton destroyed hard drives when he left office as gonernor but I did find that Huckabee had all hard drives at the state capital office and mansion crushed when he left office. A spokesperson said this is common practice to protect personal information. Could you have gotten Huckabee and Clinton confused?

Gizmo100 said:

Just a little side story

Good to see we finally have a political post. 

Gizmo100 said:
Just a little side story

Wrong Arkansas governor. It was Huckabee that had the drives destroyed:

In February, Mother Jones wrote to the office of Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe seeking access to a variety of records concerning his predecessor?s tenure, including Huckabee?s travel records, calendars, call logs, and emails. Beebe?s chief legal counsel, Tim Gauger, replied in a letter that ?former Governor Huckabee did not leave behind any hard-copies of the types of documents you seek. Moreover, at that time, all of the computers used by former Governor Huckabee and his staff had already been removed from the office and, as we understand it, the hard-drives in those computers had already been ?cleaned? and physically destroyed.?

He added, ?In short, our office does not possess, does not have access to, and is not the custodian of any of the records you seek.?

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/mike-huckabee-emails-clinton/

Oldgator73 said:
Can?t find where it states Clinton destroyed hard drives when he left office as gonernor but I did find that Huckabee had all hard drives at the state capital office and mansion crushed when he left office. A spokesperson said this is common practice to protect personal information. Could you have gotten Huckabee and Clinton confused?

I was living in Arkansas at the time and working in Little Rock. I had some friends that worked at the Governor's mansion.They were scrambling trying to find enough Hardware/software to get thing working.

I had moved to Alabama by the time Huckabee left office. But as it turns out he also destroyed the hard drives.

PJ Stough said:
Good to see we finally have a political post. 

Not a political post at all...My point is that it is standard practice because hard drive data can be found if you know how

Just for the record.... While I have NO use for the Clinton"s....I don't have much use for Huckabee either

Gizmo100 said:
My point is that it is standard practice because hard drive data can be found if you know how
Not completely true. If you merely erase a hard drive data can be recovered. There is plenty of ways to erase data so it can never be found again.

SeilerBird said:
Not completely true. If you merely erase a hard drive data can be recovered. There is plenty of ways to erase data so it can never be found again.

A magnet followed by a direct hit from a sledge hammer will erase the data. 

Doing anything on any site on the internet can be like sitting in a restaurant or theater with a lot of other people. Anything you say may be overheard by any other people in the room.

Oldgator73 said:
We speak Klingon when we are in a public place.

Your still not safe

https://www.nbcnews.com/technolog/put-down-batleth-try-klingon-english-translator-1C9925541

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom