Pets (dogs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Colleen,

I didn't think you were being anti big dogs. And I cetainly didn't intend to be anti-little dogs. I actually think it's kind of funny that so many times you see the biggest dogs come out of the smallest RVs and the littlest ones come out of the biggest RVs....kind of an inverse-size ratio law or something.

I'm glad you understood my comments about many dog owners not knowing their dogs bark when they're away and wishing people would tell us. I usually ask the neighbors in RV parks if our beast made noise and when we first started traveling with this Lab, we would leave the RV then sneak back to see if he was making noise. I know other dog owners who have done the same thing. If I know he's making noise, I can do something about it.

woodartist said:
If he "is" barking, what do you do?

If he "is" barking, we could stay home, take him with us, leave him in his kennel in the motorhome, sneak up on him and work on convincing him it is unacceptable behavior. There are many options we can try. Mind you, I'm talking about excessive, continuous, or irritating barking or howling, not about a few woofs when someone walks by with another dog. We used to have a beagle who made not a sound when we were home but who howled non-stop if we weren't there. Once we knew that he did this, and were unsuccessful at convincing him to stop, he was never again left alone in the RV, or at least not until he was 15 and slept 22 hours a day.

Fine Wendy. I thought you might of had some magic bullet. I have seen dogs with muzzles, but personally don't agree with that...unless it is a vicious dog. We had a Beagle ( actually 2) years ago and it/they were the worse dogs we had. Might have been an owner problem also, but they would bark if left alone and if they got a scent of something then off they would go:) I know that did one in because there were people who would drive around looking for dogs to sell to the medical research facility :mad:

I agree, if it meant for me to stay with them I would stay we could take shifts on sight seeing. Or I have no problems taking them with me and of course it is very easy for me I have to very tiny dogs so a little easier but sometimes the smaller the dog the more stubborn they can be. My dogs do very well and are always happy to jump in their soft sided carrier cause they know they get to go with us. I certainly would do something about it if I knew my dogs were barking and like Wendy said not just a bark or two for a passer byer or another dog eccessive barking. And sometimes the smaller dogs barks are irratating but not as loud.
But please I would love to know if my dog is a nusiance at any campground or anywhere, just like a child I would take matters in my hands and corrected however it needs to be. I too as Wendy does ask my fellow campers if my dogs have been barking. So far no one has even heard them.

Well not much more I can say on this topic I have said all that I can.
Happy RVing everyone

ColleenFL

woodartist said:
Fine Wendy. I thought you might of had some magic bullet.

I wish I had a magic bullet but unfortunately, no. But I try, as I think most RVing dog owners do, to be a responsible dog owner. Gotta run now and beat the dog so he shuts up [JUST KIDDING].

woodartist said:
Sadly, I have seen a bit of that....especially beating the dog after he finally comes from repeated calling ??? :mad:

Kind of like the old Bill Cosby routine about the kids....bring me the belt so I can beat you? Not quite right to punish either the kids of the dogs for coming when you call them, huh?

Barking collars are VERY effective on most dogs.  They are similar to the training collar I use on my pet.  With very little training the dog will understand that its barking is what is causing the shock to their neck.  The level of shock can be adjusted as needed.  Dogs are pretty smart.  They figure out cause and effect fairly quickly and stop barking.

My dog does no bark much, so I don't have a no-bark collar.  In fact I probably only hear a woof about once a month and its pretty wimpy at that. 

I use the training collar in addition to lease training.  After we had him for about 6 months I was looking for a better solution than a choke of pinch collar.  The training collar is perfect.  He is so well-trained now that I rarely have to push the button or pull on the lease.

Our little pooch only barks when someone comes to the door, anyone or any animal goes thru the yard, if she wants something, or someome(ME) is teasing her.? Almost 13 and sleeps or begs for treats when awake.? ?Ahhhh what a dogs life.? ?Wouldn't trade her for anything.? ?It's all in training. All our past dogs were the same way. It's the humans that need the training or they shouldn't have an animal. Should have to pass a license test to own one.

Now I'll stir the pot a little more.? I'll say up front, we have no (2-legged) children.? We have 7 4-legged ones, 4 dogs and 3 cats.? Why is it that barking dogs irritate people so much, but children running around the parks screaming, hollering and running through others campsites?? I understand kids need to be kids, but I believe you'll see kids making more noise and causing more trouble at campgrounds than dogs ever will.?

Amen Bill I'll jump in that pot with you! My wife and I also camp with our dog and we keep her quiet and we pick up after her. We never had kids by choice. Why do "some" people think that because they decided to have chaildren that the rest of world has to raise them? It's ok to arrive at the campground and just turn the kids?loose but don't let my dog make a sound?? I think respect should come from pet owners and parents equally.

Back
Top Bottom